Watchtower change on Wikipedia

by aniron 14 Replies latest jw friends

• mavie
    mavie

Guys, this is wikipedia...this article should not be examined and picked apart.

Go to the source.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX
    "I think they would have better success if they took the Watchtower study out of the Sunday meeting. For people coming to their first meeting, the public talks can be interesting, then they get hammered with the WT study."

Well, maybe they can change the Sunday format to what they used to do... long ago...

I remember as a lad when they would have the Sunday talk, then get up - sing a song - and dismiss for 15 minutes of intermission. Folks could get up, walk around, stretch their legs... 'new ones' could leave, etc. Then they would re-group and have the Watchtower study.

They did away with this, sometime in the 60's. went to a straight 2-hour marathon meeting. I guess the reason was because they started doubling-up on meetings, having the same hall used for two congregations, etc.

Regards,

Jim TX

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

...they would have the Sunday talk, then get up - sing a song - and dismiss for 15 minutes of intermission.
    Folks could get up, walk around, stretch their legs... 'new ones' could leave, etc. Then they would re-group
    and have the Watchtower study.

They did away with this, sometime in the 60's. went to a straight 2-hour marathon meeting. I guess the
    reason was because they started doubling-up on meetings, having the same hall used for two congregations, etc.

I would guess this change was because it would be a little harder to sneak out of the room during the
    song and WT intro. than it was to get up and leave during the break. The intermission was a perfect
    time for new ones to say "Enough" and for members to sneak out. The marathon meeting allows you
    to say to the potential recruit "It ain't over" and forces active members to make their exit obvious.

• Borgia
    Borgia

inter . organisational:
    meaning:
    between . "relating to an organisation " / "involving organisation"

Do they mean that on the WT study as of 2008 things relating the WT and say Scientology will be addressed?
    Wow!

Cheers

Borgia

• garybuss
    garybuss

There used to be breaks between the talk and Watchtower study AND between the ministry school and the service meetings. These were smoker's breaks. All my Witness years in the 50's and 60's Witnesses smoked and there was a standing crowd outside at the break smoking at the Kingdom Hall. There was a sand stand ash tray by the door.

My uncle built the Kingdom Hall in Lake Benton Minnesota with a cigarette in his mouth.

When the Witnesses made smoking a shunning offence, they quit the smoke breaks. It was easy to sneak in and away during those breaks. I think they discovered that they lost fewer people between meetings if they eliminated the break.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit