Do you know what your last name means and where it comes from...?

by Justahuman24 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

WALSTROM

well stream or wide stream. My ancestors lived close to a river. In Finland.

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

My mother's maiden name means "holy angel" and the first part of it (Sant') is very common throughout Italy, making its origins fairly hard to deduce.

My father's surname is almost never recognized as Italian by many here in North America. It's meaning isn't all that apparent either even to an italian. One possible scenario is that the current name is a small deviation from another last name thats still floating around which is very similar in spelling and pronunciation to the italian word for "judge".

That same source went on about how the original person with that cognomen may have had judicial duties or administrative duties over a territory. Taking into consideration the fairly low socio-economic status of my father's immediate family and of most of the family ancestry he traced back, I'd say the descendants weren't as judicial with their courses of action.

I think a more accurate descriptor for me and my clan would be "judgemental"

• oldflame
    oldflame

My last name is Metzger, it is German. Originally it was not a sir name but a group of people in Germany. It's meaning is "Butcher"

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Frannie said:

I thought I already posted to this thread, but can't find my post. Oh, well.

You aren't going mad. You did post to this thread in an alternative universe. Here's a wormhole for ya:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/129336/1.ashx

• Life Is Grand
    Life Is Grand

Is someone actually up at this ungodly hour?

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl
    Is someone actually up at this ungodly hour?

Yes, we don't think that 09:30 is particularly early in the UK.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

My surname is Gaelic for 'fair-haired' but it adapted into that format over the years.

The absolute original surname was similar but just meant 'of' the name of the town the family originated from. One of my cousins has managed to trace right back to the 15th century - no mean task since there is a lack of centralised pre-19th century records in Ireland.

• onacruse
    onacruse
    Search results for: Mills
    (origin: Local) Living near a mill. Gaelic, Milidh, a soldier, the d being silent.

Odd, that. I "grew up" just east of an unicorporated town called Cedar Mills, and down the street from us was an old log-pond. My younger brothers went to Cedar Mill Elementary.

But then, I was born in NYC! LOL

• juni
    juni

My married last name comes from a legal background i.e. barrister. Way back this guy was the first to set up a law practice in the US. So a bunch of shysters??? Only kidding for those who may be attorneys. It's not my family anyways. My maiden name is anglo saxon meaning "house of peace". My family life growing up was the furthest from a house of love!!

Juni

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

I found a couple of meanings for my surname, which is Spencer

1. A kind of wig

2. A short-breasted overcoat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit