Do you know what your last name means and where it comes from...?

by Justahuman24 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Check out this site:

http://www.spatial-literacy.org/UCLnames/Surnames.aspx

A facility, free to users, that allows family name enthusiasts to make searches on the geography of the most frequent 25,000 surnames in Britain. Thesehave been classified into regional or cultural groups of origin. Maps show their historic and current distributions in Great Britain and tables their areas of highest density in other parts of the world.

• Kudra
    Kudra

Franklin- Irish meaning farmer.

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

Thanks FE203Girl!

This confirmed what I vaguely remembered of my dad's side of the family

WILLIAMSCeltic; Welsh; Name of Parent Ending in -S

Grandpa was 1st or second generation Welsh immigrant and sheep herder in Idaho (no sheep shagger jokes please)

ETHERINGTONEnglish - Locational Name; Settlement Ending; Ton

Grandma 1st or second generation English Immigrant.

Mom's side

WALKEREnglish - Occupational Name; Ending in -Er; Manufacturing Occupation

Also from what my little sis tells me, Walker was a title/surname given to drifters and nomads in UK.

the other half is a bit oharder to figure out

• Justahuman24
    Justahuman24

I don't remember what website I found the info about my last name. It was soooo long ago. I even found three different - but similar - family crests.

My last name is "Spanish" but again, as I said before it was originally taken from the Greek language. Lots of people though, ask me if it is Italian lol...

justahuman - but super nonetheless

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

My partilinear name means "Son of a Fair Warrior," it's an Irish/Scottish name. My Father was adopted so the actual patrilinear name is the Anglo-Scandinavian Osborne, which is Old Norse for "God Bear." I suppose that means I'm a viking and my ancestors raped and pillaged an area of England and though, "hey, this is a nice place, I think I'll stay here." Argghh. Other familey names include: -an Irish name which derives from the Gaelic Ó Maoildeirg (Maol=chief, derrig=red). -Tuningley, a name which derives from the village of Finningley in/near Doncaster, York. -Durham, based on County Durham -Herd, a name which refers to a herder of animals. While an English name, I'm was just told this was originally German. Surprise to me. I guess I can make sour kraut jokes now like on Red Dwarf. -Goodwin, old English for "friend of god" -Wright, old English for carpenter -Smith, from the English blacksmith -Peel, another English name of unknown origin That's all I know of.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

According to Fe203Girl's site, another one, Lait, is a regional name from East Anglia.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I was once horrified to see 'my' family coat of arms. Whereas most show a rampant lion, battling unicorn, sturdy oak or some other such heroic motif mine had three slightly wilted bits of cress. Apparemtly during the battles of Britain my family where on the sidelines making sandwiches.

Actually its root meaning is derived either from a woodworker, a dancer or a jouster. Mind you I do make a mean fish finger and pizza sarnie.

• Mulan
    Mulan

My maiden name was Maxfield...............originally Macclesfield, or a farm owned by Maccles. Or so they say. Very British. The name is common around Manchester.

My married name is King, Scottish from MacGregor. When the clans had to get rid of their names and tartans, King was one of the names this clan used. The story is that they chose it to show their allegiance to the English King. They were not Highlanders, who wanted the Stuart king (Bonnie Prince Charlie.....Charles Edward Stuart) brought back from France to rule them. The Lowlanders, including the MacGregors preferred the reigning English king.

My mother's mother's maiden name was Strong. They were very early settlers of the US, back to the 1600's. When I researched it further, I learned the name was originally French, and was actually spelled Strange..............then Stronge and finally Strong. My husband said it all made sense to him now. S-T-R-A-N-G-E

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Swiss, from the Canton of Zurich. They were anabaptists, (maybe getting into weird religions is genetic), and they eventually made their way to William Penn's colony in the 1710's.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

I thought I already posted to this thread, but can't find my post. Oh, well.

My original surname is Minter. In doing a bit of research after seeing this thread, I discovered that the name allegedly originated in Dorset where ancient Minters were seated as the lords of the manor. I'll have to study up on the crimson and silver coat of arms to find out what the closed helmet turned to the right means, etc.

The name Minter very obviously means "maker of coins," however, I, personally prefer to include the meaning "coiner of words" as well as "coiner of money."

BUT....I put my pants on one leg at a time just like everyone else and am no better, nor worse than any of my ancestors or those with whom I presently choose to associate with.

Frannie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit