I applied to a university yesterday.

by kwintestal 38 Replies latest jw friends

• rmt1
    rmt1

Good idea all around, no matter what your eventual goals. It is also worth going into debt for - it is not an object that can be stolen, although it can rust. It builds multifunctional skillsets and pathways. It's upgradable. Some discoveries/life lessons are backwards-compliant. Samuel Adams would say, 'Always a good decision.'

• juni
    juni

CONGRATULATIONS KWIN AND ALL OF YOU FOR TAKING THIS BIG STEP.

I wish you all the best.

Juni

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

Good for you! good luck and best wishes! You won't regret expanding your horizons this way.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I haven't read the other posters but here is mine

I'm only 28, so I'm not too far behind. We'll see how working full time and going to school will go.

Too far behind? No way. You may be surprised at how many people older than you will be taking the same courses.

I'd be interested in finding out how others have found hitting the books more then 10 years after high school was for them. Anyone?

I never graduated from high school. So with a grade 10 education, a 16 yr gap since I had gone to school and a lot of nerve I took two courses at a community college. And I passed them both!

I did well enough to spur me on applying for a college professional 3 yr program. I did that working part time and raising two teens. I was determined and after 3 yrs I had my diploma with honors - a real shocker for me because I was always told I was a dummy.

I kept going and signed up for university and got my BA. That took me a little longer because I worked full time and went to school part time but I did it.

Being the first person in my family to go to post-secondary education was a real boost to my esteem. Doing it well was icing and was proof positive that every person who ever said I was too stupid to learn anything and would never amount to anything were dead wrong

Go for it. After having a bit of life experience under your belt you will find it will open doors you never realized

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    ROTFLMAO. Crumpet, you are cute. :-)

hehe - thanks German! I wonder if I might be permitted to hijack a little bit kwin as this seems the right thread to ask this question. Has anybody here done a degree in the UK? if so can someoone please explain to me why you choose two subjects when you apply for a degree course. ie when I applied I had to name two - but I don't think you have to study two do you to get your degree? I am really confused and have never understood this and there is no explanation on the site either ... is that like a standby course in case your preferred subject is full or something? HELP!!

• scotsman
    scotsman

Hi Crumpet

I only applied for the one course at one uni, but that was 7 years ago so maybe things have changed. I imagine it's as you suggest, a standby course.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Crumpet:The Open University allows courses to count towards two qualifications, with a certain amount of unique study required to complete each. Its not obligatory to count it towards two, but when you register for them the option is there. It confused me when I first started with them, too.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

oh thanks LT - that really helps - I was a bit scared I would have to do two degree courses!

• RAF
    RAF

Go for it ... !!!

We'll see how working full time and going to school will go

Since you really want it ... you'll put as much effort as you can on it

The only thing I really wanted to go back to school was (I know it's weird) : JOINERY ... but When I've ask for it they told me I was way to old for that (PFFFFFFFFFFFF) it's like they are only schools are for 14 to 20 (as apprentice part time) ... it's tiring sometimes you can't really do what you want.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit