I applied to a university yesterday.

by kwintestal 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

Kudos to everyone who's gone back to get an education. I'm doing the same thing right now, but I can only do it on a part time basis. This term, I'm taking: Archaeology, the Old Testament and the Critical Mind, which I find fascinating. Next term, I'm taking a Marketing course. It'll take me quite a while to get my degree, but it's worth it. I also find it helps with my self-esteem. This religion and my upbringind zapped all the self-confidence I should have had growing up. It's sad that I'm just starting to get it now, but going to university is definitely helping. I got angry the one day because I'm sitting there thinking "I should have done this 20 years ago", but there's nothing I can do about that now. I do find that I have a far better appreciation for education than what I did when I was a teenager, so maybe that's a good thing.

All the best to you in your studies.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Kwin:Excellent news

You wont regret it! As Scots said, having a little extra maturity is actually of benefit. You'll be able to relate some of the material to real life.

I finished my BSc last year and continue to work on an MBA, while undertaking preparatory work for an MSc. I intend to carry on and get the Phd at some point, but this is all part of a steady longer-term plan. Meanwhile I have to work fulltime, so its a challenge.

Scots:

Got my MA and now finishing an MSc and have enjoyed most of it.

I'm glad you said "most" - LOL.
    Sometimes it can be grueling, but its worth it in the end

Emo:

I didn't think they would appreciate "and everyone lived happily ever after" as a conclusion

I think that anyone who has engaged in Higher education can empathise with that experience

• greendawn
    greendawn

Well done Kwin, beginning to study at 28 is not much of a problem you still have many years of productive life ahead of you. I began at 19 and we had about 8 individuals in the 40 or so students on the course that were in their mid twenties to late thirties. Nowadays adult learning is socially and politically quite fashionable.

• mia_b
    mia_b

Well I studied day/block release while working full time like others and got my degree equibient at 25. So it wasn't so bad.

What are you studying then? I think i'd like a degree in mathematics but its unlikely that i'll be doing that anytime soon!

I'm taking Spanish evening lcases at the moment and those are fun.

• kid-A
    kid-A

Go for it!

We have a couple first year Meds students in their mid-30s as mature students, so I dont think its ever too late if your circumstances allow it.

I find the mature students take the classes far more seriously.

• Scully
    Scully

Hey Kwin... good for you! What program are you planning to take?

I went back to school in my early 30s. Although I wasn't working, I still had the major responsibility for everything around the home, including 3 youngsters - only one was in school. It was a huge undertaking and kind of scary - looking back I don't know how on earth I did it, but I have no regrets at all.

Like others have mentioned, I took my studies a lot more seriously - I was very determined and tenacious, and graduated with honours from my nursing program. It's hard to believe that was over a decade ago....

If your job has an annual education allowance that covers at least part of your tuition, take advantage of it! I can claim up to $1500 a year in tuition via the Ministry of Health toward furthering my education; plus the hospital has an education reimbursement program that I can use as well.

• Will Power
    Will Power

Great News Kwin! I have all the GED books I bought for lil sis, if you want to do a refresher. Congrats!

• Jourles
    Jourles
    I'd be interested in finding out how others have found hitting the books more then 10 years after high school was for them.

It's been more than 15 years or so for me(counting my dropout year from previous comm college). I started seriously looking about a year and a half ago. I already knew what I wanted to go back for(telecommunications - 14 year career so far). At first, I was hesitant about applying 'cuz I thought my app might get rejected for some reason -- too old, never took SAT, ACT, etc... None of the colleges in my town offered a program that I was looking for so I knew that online classes were going to be the route I had to take. I had narrowed down my choices to a few colleges, but I ended up applying at the one with the best undergrad telecommunications program in the States. It became a no-brainer after this university renamed their school of computer science after my company's CEO. Employees of my company also get a $500 discount per credit from their normal tuition rates. That goes a long way too since my company caps the amount that they'll pay each year(8k).

Getting in was easy and painless. The most difficult part of getting in was having my previous schools send my transcripts to the new school. And even then, it wasn't that difficult. Now that I'm in, I've found that my classes are fairly easy. I didn't particulary like high school and my previous college(but I still did good) and I thought I might struggle a bit more in this new college. I definitely have more drive to do well. I have matured more too. I'm making it my personal goal to finish out my degree with *_* cum laude honors if I can. It's not for bragging rights or anything like that, I just want to prove to myself that I can do it and not have any jw influence over me whatsoever while doing it.

I know you can do it. If you are serious about going back, you already have the drive to tackle it. If someone was undecided about going to college, then I would say don't do it. The first step is wanting to go. From there, it's all downhill.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Thanks for the support, advice and experience everyone.

I plan on taking Political Science at Brock University in St. Catharines, ON and then after that perhaps taking law at Queens or a school in Toronto but one step at a time. Brock is about 15 minutes from home so it'll be close for now. I'd love to take Math, but I've been away from it so long I'm quite afraid that I've forgotten more then I know (if that makes sence?).

I wish that my employer had a tuition reimbursement program! I've used it previously at other employers but the one I'm currently at doesn't. It's not really the type of industry that they encourage advancement, there really isn't any oppourtunity for advancement either.

Kwin

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

alright!! Congrats on taking the step. Good luck, though I doubt you'll need it

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit