With all of the negative talk by Born-Agains against JW's are BAC's better?

by booker-t 14 Replies latest jw friends

• booker-t
    booker-t

With all of the negativity you read on ex-jw's websites and christian websites against JW's, one question comes to my mind Do BAC's(born-again christians) and ex-jw's think that they can do a better job at preaching the gospel/good news to the public? While I don't agree with alot of what JW's teach I do admire their dedication in field service something I just don't see in Born-Again Christianity. I know alot of BAC's that smoke, drink too much, cheat on their spouses, cheat on their taxes and don't receive any kind of church discipline. I know JW's disfellowship people that refuse to give up unscriptual conduct.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing
    While I don't agree with alot of what JW's teach I do admire their dedication in field service something I just don't see in Born-Again Christianity.

Are you kidding me? Both groups condemn billions of people to death simply for having a different belief system. The JW's system of knocking on doors is nothing to admire.

I know alot of BAC's that smoke, drink too much, cheat on their spouses, cheat on their taxes and don't receive any kind of church discipline.

I know a lot of JWs that smoke, drink too much, cheat on their spouses, cheat on their on their taxes and don't receive any kind of church discipline, too.

• JeffT
    JeffT

1) The term "born again Christian" covers a lot of territory.

2) The purpose of church is to help people become better. Kicking them out does not accomplish this.

3) Most Christians spread the gospel the same way the early church did: talking to friends etc. Field service is a waste of time. Last time I looked at the stats, it took about 4000 man-hours for the dubs to make a convert. And that doesn't count the fact that most of the ones being baptized now are the children of Witnesses.

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

In addition to the above comments, I would add that most JWs participate in field service because they HAVE to, not because of any particular love for the householders. I once heard a JW elder refer to field service as "unnatural". Basically, JWs are BACs with a few differing dogmas, just as individual BAC churches each have different dogmas. The similarities are greater than their differences: "We have the one true faith. Believe as we do, or you will die at Gods hand."

• Gill
    Gill

In the end, they're ALL Apocalyptic Fruitcakes!

My experience with both tells me one thing, and one thing only; if you meet one, RUN!!

• needproof
    needproof

Both have a smarmy attitude towards their faith. Look at Ted Haggard!

• carla
    carla

I do admire their dedication in field service something --Why? This drives me crazy! Why admire sincerity that is so very misplaced? Would you admire the men of NAMBLA for their dedication to their cause? (by the way their motto is 'get em' before their eight before it's too late, or so says some articles about them. You do know they are referring to little boys right?) They are sincere in their beliefs, they continue to have this org even though I'm sure they feel 'persecuted' too. Do you admire skinheads or Nazi's that are sincere in what they do? Many of them are 'dedicated' in their cause as well.

So you see Christians sinning in your mind? (some of what you mention may not technically be sins, just not helpful). Jw's do all those same things and only get kicked out when they are caught. How anyone could read any of the ex jw sites for one day and not come to the conclusion that the org is a dangerous, abusive, and deadly cult is beyond me. Which is it you admire about the jw's? the destruction of families, the dead and maimed children and adults, the pedophiles, the emotional abuse, the spiritual abuses, the mental distress, the social ineptness that it at times produces, just which of those things exactly to you admire?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

booker-t:

While I don't agree with alot of what JW's teach I do admire their dedication in field service something I just don't see in Born-Again Christianity.

I find this perspective interesting. You probably don't realise it but you're comparing both groups using the preferred criterion of one of them. Born-again Christians don't believe that they are obliged to take part in an invasive, ineffective bookselling work, so they don't. Their conversion work is much more effective than that of the JWs.

I know alot of BAC's that smoke, drink too much, cheat on their spouses, cheat on their taxes and don't receive any kind of church discipline. I know JW's disfellowship people that refuse to give up unscriptual conduct.

Again, that's a criterion that only JWs hold to. Other churches prefer to follow Jesus' advice not to judge others. Generally, those whose lifestyle is not a shining example of Christianity are not given positions of responsibility (in theory, at least). Most churches would consider it absolutely monstrous to shun somebody simply because they smoke.

It's something to watch out for with JWs. They use criteria like these to prove that they are the only ones with the truth. "Well, who else obeys God's law on blood / knows that Jesus returned in 1914 / doesn't believe in the trinity etc.". Even when people leave, they sometimes hold on to some of these standards

This is the second post in as many days where I've defended Christians. I must be coming down with something.

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

Meet the new boss....same as the old boss...

• greendawn
    greendawn

The JW R&F approach may be serious but it is vain because in fact it leads nowhere. What's the point of bringing people in the WTS and serving that org? They think it's a case of bringing people into salvation and obeying God's only appointed leaders but it is in fact bringing them into mind control tactics and exploitation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit