Why Some Stay In The Organization

by Outaservice 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Don't you think a lot of brother's stay with the Watchtower because in the real world they would never be anybody so-to-speak. They would never even attain their '15 minutes of fame' that many have.

But, at the Hall, they get to get up in front of an audience, and people listen to them as if they really have something to say! And they're given a 'title' such as Elder, Ministerial Servant, Microphone Handler (Wow) etc. And they can feel elevated over Sisters, even Pioneer Sisters!

But in the world, no one would give them they time of day. How sad, everyone wants to be somebody!

Outaservice (who lost his stripes many years ago)

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

I think that is very true.

My mom seems to enjoy being the "poor sister" with an unbelieving mate.

My dad enjoys being the mate who everyone tries to convince to get baptised.(and tickles his ears)

My little unbaptised 21 year old sister enjoys being self-righteous around me....just cause she still believes it is the truth, and I do not.

There is something for everyone!! LOL

• Rooster
    Rooster

I was talking with a "brother" about some of the teachings (his son is in bethel). He said " I doesn't matter I am happy there."

Like my brother says "where else can you go and tell people how to live their lives after a day of driving the city trash truck?

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings Outaservice,

You couldn't be more right on the money. Your points made, show themselves over and over and over again, and apply to many within the rank and file of JW's. The Watchtower Society is responsible for boatloads of social retardation.

I've had former close friends of mine even admit, and say that "if we left, who would we hang around with". This despite having themselves blatantly crapped on by the "friends"

Dismembered

• sspo
    sspo

You might be more wrong than right.

There are many,many in the organ. that would do very well in the world

but because of truly beleiving they stick around.

Did not see too many elders that truly enjoyed their "fame"

It was hard work and the majority were sincere.

Sisters did nor have a lot of " fame"

• sir82
    sir82

I've often thought that is is one of the principal reasons that there is still explosive growth in the Hispanic congregations in the US.

Imagine someone who grew up in a hovel in rural Mexico, no running water, no electricity, chickens running around on the dirt floor of the kitchen...

He makes it to the US, but he gets the crummiest, most dangerous job imaginable because he needs the money...

Now here comes Jason & Suzy Need-Greater, who stumblingly stutter through a barely-undrestandable magazine presentation. But the target somehow perceives they are talking about the Bible, which he has great respect for, and so takes the magazines...

The return visit is handled by someone who speaks the language better, and soon a study is started, and he starts attending the Kingdom Hall...

Imagine what he thinks the first time he attends a District Convention...he sees 10,000 people, most of whom from origins like his...and there's someone who grew up 10 miles from his home, well-dressed, giving a Bible discourse and thanked with extended applause by 10,000 adoring attendees. After the session the speaker is surrounded by well-wishers, all anxious just to be seen near him.

And his study conductor says, "One day, if you do well, you too can be an elder and give talks at the assemblies".

How else is Jose going to get that kind of recognition? What other organization offers him so much - eternal life, the chance to see his dead gramma, and until that day arrives, the chance at being respected, liked, and fitting in?

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

Outaservice

I will only speak about my congregation.We have 5 Elders who have occupations as: landscaper,janitor,carpenter,mechanic,and electrician.Now,you can see that they are not the most educated lot.I have no problem with what someone does for a living.But,when you are not the supervisor at work,some of them become very bossy as Elders.They know everyone in subjection to them and some take advantage of it.

One Elder is the biggest control freak out of the 5.He is small in stature.I think he was picked on as a teenager and now he is giving it back.I think he loves the position as Elder because that is the only place he stands out.

He: gives the Memorial Talk ever year,controls all the Elder meetings,conducts the Watchtower Meeting,has all the visiting CO'S and PO'S stay at his home on all their visits.Well you get the point!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

...They would never even attain their '15 minutes of fame' that many have.

...And they're given a 'title' such as Elder, Ministerial Servant, Microphone Handler (Wow) etc. And they can feel elevated
    over Sisters, even Pioneer Sisters!

But in the world, no one would give them they time of day. How sad, everyone wants to be somebody!

I can agree, but only slightly. Many men enjoy their elevated position. Window cleaners and labor workers enjoy
    being put "in charge" of accounts, teaching, lives, etc. Many men enjoy being "HEAD" of the household or telling
    all the women what to do.

But for the most part, people stay because they think this is "God's organization" and they are fooled into thinking
    they are in the organization that has all the answers to all the questions. People think they are so smart because
    they know that Jehovah is God, Armageddon is coming, Cain married his sister or his niece, Jesus died on an
    upright stake, Satan controls the entire world, Jesus appeared invisibly in 1914- and only Jehovah's sincere
    "witnesses" noticed.

For the most part, in the world, no one would give them they time of day. That is true of them as JW's.

Your explanation fits some men, but no women.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I worked for a client who had just retired from the military the previous year and was selling some investment property he had owned. I asked him what was the hardest thing about leaving the military and he said the hardest thing was not getting the respect he was used to. In the military he was accorded an automatic respect all the time. As a civilian he was both ignored and disrespected.

I was never respected as a Witness but I understand some are, and I can see where they would want that to continue. The puss gut house painter who was our company servant wouldn't have made a good speed bump in the real world, but at the kingdom hall, he had the power of a malevolent dictator.

Every single thing he ever said to or at me, has turned out to be a lie. He's the Witness who told me to fail in school because in the new world I'd be automatically smart without the study time. I didn't have much choice but to fail in school because we had service and meeting on Tuesday night, back calls all evening Wednesdays, and 4 hours away for the ministry reading school and the service meeting Thursday nights.

I went all through school and never got home work done. I tried to take school books to the kingdom hall and was told I could not do that. I've always hated that puss gut Witness and I hope he's had a terrible life.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Yes - Outaservice - you have hit it IMO.

The society has figured how to 'grease the wheel' with that. Brother Lowly, never had a job, never learned a trade, didn't go to college, barely makes the house-payments on a window washer salary, feels pretty good in the company of witnesses who spend all their time talking up his 'excellent speaking skills' or his ' skillful development of the Kingdom theme', or his dedication to 'Insightful answers at the Watchtower study'.

It is their whole world. Like it used to be ours. Sad.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit