If You've Faded, Do You Still Consider Yourself a Dub?

by brunnhilde 28 Replies latest jw friends

• mia_b
    mia_b

Not now - i think there is residual "dub"ness sometimes which is scary but its getting less often. it was very ingrained, it took 2.5 years of not being in the borg before i was able to surf the net with the idea of finding anti jw stuff. I find this site and go on and read it and not feel guilty at all. which is great. i antiwitness now but i think thats cos im quite bitter. i want to get past the bitterness.

• owenfieldreams
    owenfieldreams

One time, Ronald Reagan supposedly said of the democrat party, of which he was a member at one time," I didn't leave the party, IT left ME." I can somewhat compare that feeling to my decision to fade from the org. I don't think my core beliefs or values have ever changed, concerning God almighty or the bible. All of the constant moving of the goal posts as related to the time/generation of the end, the constant flip-flopping on doctrinal issues, the whole blood transfusion conundrum, the hard turn to the right by Jaracz and his lieutenants and other policy wonks in brooklyn who are really the ones who took control of this organization about ten years ago, the watering down, dummying down of the theocratic ministry school and hour requirements to inflate statistics--all of this describes what I think is a totally different org than what even existed 25-30 years ago, to some extent. It is not the same org and it is being ran by totally different people now.

• snickers
    snickers

If it comes up in a conversation, I say "I was raised as one of Jehovah's Witness, but I'm no longer a JW" and that usually explains enough. But I would identify with being agnostic more than claiming to be Christian or another faith. The sad thing is that this lack of religious identity is really hard on kids. For their sake, I tell them that they don't have to say anything at all - but it's also okay to say they're Christian if asked.

• free2beme
    free2beme

Not at all, I consider myself a Pagan Witch.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Oh nooooooooo...not in the very least.

If it comes up in a conversation, I say "I was raised as one of Jehovah's Witness, but I'm no longer a JW" and that usually explains enough.

Ditto.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Same here - quick answer NO

Longer answer - if asked I explain how I was raised. I am not embarrassed by it, it is who I am and what made me into the person I am now.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

Nope, I'm a Pastafarian.

• undercover
    undercover

Echoing what Blondie said: Since I don't witness for Jehovah (read: advertise and market for the Watchtower Society) then I'm not a Witness.

I haven't considered myself a JW for quite sometime. Even when I was still active, I was reluctant to admit being a JW. I think deep down inside I knew something was wrong with this religion, but a lifetime of indoctrination kept me in line and obeying them. Now that I'm free of being controlled by them, I never, never, never admit to being a JW and if my past is brought up in conversation with non-JWs, I'll only mention that I was "raised as a JW but it didn't take". I don't go into the years of trying to follow (but usually failing) the religion faithfully.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

NO! NEVER! Don't even want anyone to know I was ever associated with such an origanization!!!

• aarque
    aarque

I told someone once that I was raised a JW. She looked at me, astounded, and then said, "You're forgiven!" I don't consider myself one, and seldom admit to having any association with them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit