Bracing for 12-16 inches of snow in Indiana

by exwitless 39 Replies latest jw friends

• exwitless
    exwitless

HOLY COW!!!! Now thats ALOT OF SNOW!!! I just love the winter!! Be safe, stay warm, and enjoy this beautiful season!!!

We live out in the country, so it can get pretty bad with the winds and drifting. I actually enjoy the snow if I don't have to drive in it. I just hope we don't lose our electricity! Once the storm settles down, maybe we can build a huge snowman. I'll post pictures if I can.

• juni
    juni

Keep warm ex witless! We're supposed to get 2-4" in southern Wisconsin. I think most of it is going south of Chicago like you said. Yes. Those poor people in the East. Sunspot Annie and her husband are snowbound.

Juni

• exwitless
    exwitless

OK, so it's started. It's 6:55 a.m. here and we've already gotten about 3-4 inches since midnight and we're under a BLIZZARD WARNING. They're still projecting about 15 inches of snow and the winds are about 35 mph. Hope our electricity stays on today. All the schools are closed and a lot of businesses are (including mine!). So I'm going to hop back in bed with my cup of coffee and study Anatomy and Physiology. Bring on the snow!

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I hope yall make it through the storm okay.

As a tip - I found these neat little LED hand-crank flashlights that I started buying. While I may not need them for power outtages, they come in handy (for me) at night, to have a little light as I get into bed.

All you need to do, is crank them for about a minute, and charge up the battery, then you can get a few minutes of white LED light.

I gave a couple away as Christmas presents last year... one went to Missouri - where they had a bad snowstorm last month. My wife was talking to her son (who I gave one to), and he was sitting there in the dark, as the power went off. She said she could hear him winding the light - charging the battery. He said it was a good thing he had it, as he had no other source of light.

They're handy for these occassions.

I have found these hand-crank flashlights in various places... usually at 'dollar stores' - or discount stores. You can pay up to $15.00 which is pricey, or as low as $5.00 or so. They're worth it. No need to worry about having to keep fresh batteries in them.

Just thought I'd mention this... I hope I didn't hijack your thread. Stay warm yall.

Regards,

Jim TX

• exwitless
    exwitless

Thanks for the input. Actually, before Christmas I bought several of the LED flashlights that you shake for 30 seconds before you turn it on. Same idea as the crank kind. I gave some as gifts but kept a couple for home. They are handy. They're not the brightest flashlights, but they sure do work, and you never need to worry about batteries. Looking out the window, it looks pretty bad. They are predicting 30 straight hours of heavy snow fall. Looks like we have about 6 inches or more already.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX
    ..."I bought several of the LED flashlights that you shake for 30 seconds before you turn it on."

Yeah... my boss bought one of these when we were researching various LED lights/flashlights. (We produced our own LED lighting system for street lamps) I tested the 'shake' flashlight... and was disappointed. They put out very little light - compared to what they _could_ do. I think that that sort of technology (the magnet and coil) is more a novelty than it is practical. (Also - too much work for the amount of light produced.)

"They are predicting 30 straight hours of heavy snow fall. Looks like we have about 6 inches or more already."

Wow! That's a lot of snow! I hope that yall do okay up there. That front is headed our way, and they are predicting cold temps - but nothing like what you are having - and it won't last for very long when it gets here.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Mary
    Mary

Yep......it's supposed to get bad around here in Southern Ontario later on today too.......50 cm in some places.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

We are under a snow emergency right now . Only expecting 5 inches ,but the 35 mile an hour winds are drifting our open areas quickly. I was so happy that the bus company called me at 5am to tell me school was canceled , I drive in the rural areas . The wind keeps blowing my back screen door open. I just looked out there and there are about fifty sparrows huddled together in the jasmine vine arbor . Poor little birdies the snow is blowing off the garage right onto them .

• exwitless
    exwitless

I think most counties besides ours surrounding us have declared snow emergencies. They are "thinking" about declaring one here soon. Not sure how bad it has to get before it's an emergency. My unofficial estimate on snowfall so far this a.m. is about 10 inches. The winds are steady at about 35 mph with stronger gusts. The drifting is getting really bad. They've already cancelled my son's school for tomorrow. The worst part is, they say the worst hasn't hit us yet: it will come between 1:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. today!

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

All right all you snowbound people...admit it....Who actually went out for milk, TP, and bread before the storm?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit