For anyone struggling to free themselves or loved ones from the Watchtower.

by nicolaou 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I just wanted to share an encouraging thought with anyone who is struggling to fade away from the Watchtower. Six years ago, when I first started posting here, I was a Ministerial Servant with doubts. My wife was an active sister and my 11 and 12 year old sons were enrolled in the Theocratic Ministry School and going out in field service every week along with their 7 year old sister.

There has been a lot of stress and tears along the way, my wife and I often wondered what our future would bring, but I can honestly say that we have made it. We are out!

The influence of the cult is now only felt in the presence of certain 'loyal' family members but such contact is now vanishingly rare. That is a sadness, a price that was paid for the emotional and mental stability of my wife, myself and our children.

I don't want to be insensitive, I know that for many it seems almost impossible to extricate oneself from the Watchtower trap but it is possible. This forum has been invaluable in helping me chart my family's course to freedom, I only hope I've been able to offer something positive in return.

Good luck to all you faders

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

Thanks for that. I know that is why I keep reading the boards. I love knowing that so many that are deep in find their way out. Also, having all the posters here giving encouragment and support with the day to day struggles of dealing with the reprocusions is a huge help to me as well.

• free2think
    free2think

Thank you for your encouraging experience Nicolaou. I am beginning to see that my fading is going to be a very long process. I went to a meeting the other day and the guilt that I felt over leaving hit me again and of course my headaches got really bad again (i wonder if there's a connection). I know it's all part of the leaving process after being in something for so long, but it's so good to have positive experiences like your's to keep me going, that one one day I'll be happy and free too.

free2think

• TopHat
    TopHat

What is really great about this web site. A JW can come here to find answers to questions they CANNOT ask the Elders or even their friends when a JW, as they would be marked as weak in the faith.

I had my doubts and did a search...found my answers on this web site. I am thankful to Simon for giving all of us a place to meet and greet. Even if we sometimes disagree.

• ninja
    ninja

Well done Nic.....my wife said to me last week she will never leave...and I am sure she is right ..she is in it hook line and sinker (along with my kids)...meanwhile I am on death row...although nothing has been said officially(yet)...my loooong time friends don't talk to me and my mother in law(another dub)says she thinks I am acting like an alien...all the while they don't see how they are acting....how angry they got when I asked questions or tried to explain my stance...I have stopped even trying a while back...mind control is horrible...I am just happy I got out...(still don't know how I did really)...so its good to hear positive things...good on ya mate..take care....ninja

• sspo
    sspo

I am happy that everything is working out for you.

Still trying to find a way out but it hasn't been easy.

Moving out of the area might help in my case.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Well done Nick, you and your wife got out together and avoided the drama of a divorce, if only one of the two had left, and the children will not have to grow up any longer in this sick cult. Hopefully a lot more will succeed in the same way.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Never say never . . .

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Well done Nic. It is great that you are all together ....

• dobbie
    dobbie

What a lovely post. I'm so glad your whole family is out it must be so hard when one half is still in it. I started coming to this site last july when i couldn't ignore my doubts any longer, and am now officially out of it. Although my husband wasn't v supportive at first (v scared at the time) he is now the opposite, and says that all the things i've said to him about the religion and double standards, etc has really opened his eyes and he now has nothing to do with it. It can't be easy with his family in it. Despite still having upset from members of his family (only left officially in nov 06 so not long ago) i feel so much calmer happier and stronger for going through it and realising i can now get on with my life. All those years i was too scared to leave and i wish i'd just done it sooner now, though it was very upsetting. But coming here and reading everyones posts and a couple of other sites really helped me face up to it and so a big thanks to you all!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit