Have you made friends with your 'inner tortoise'?

by nicolaou 14 Replies latest social relationships

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Why does every waking moment need to be filled with something?! If teenage minds aren't being stimulated by the Xbox or Wii then it has to be MySpace or another online distraction. When did you ever catch your child just kicking back and thinking, or - perish the thought - reading!

And let's face it, the rest of us aren't much better. The world is so fast, work has deadlines, housework must be done and when you think you've finally caught up another pile of tasks lands in your 'in tray'. I believe though that we all have an 'inner tortoise' we need to get in touch with.

I want to feel the cool grass on my belly, the hot, hot sun on my back and not to be thinking of anything at all! How do we slow down and be like our tortoises? How do we pull ourselves into our shells and hide away from the bedlam for a while?

I'm not too sure but I'm going to switch this damn computer off, pour myself a scotch and sit by my conservatory window to watch the snow fall over my garden. The house is quiet and so am I. I'll be listening for my inner tortoise . . . I think his name is . . . Mike.

• mia_b
    mia_b

i meet my inner tortoise every night when i go to bed - i do nothing but think and cant sleep - maybe i should do as you suggest and make time to meet in the daytime...

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Did you hear about the tortoise that got robbed by two snails. The police asked him to tell them exactly what took place. "I'm not sure," said the tortoise, "it all happened so fast..."

S4 - Who should have a scotch with his inner tortoise tonight.

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

You gotta reconnect with nature! I notice how especially city people are so out of it, city kids so wrapped up in meaningless things.

My son was never 100% happy when he lived out here in nature with me but he appreciates the experience now.

We live in harmony with wildlife out here. Coyotes, foxes, bobcats, are highly esteemed and photographed when they come visit our properties. A few hours drive away in LA people are having fits because coyotes moved into their neighborhoods and OH MY GOSH THEY WILL CARRY OFF OUR CHILDREN!

Turn off the TV, the computer, everything and go someplace where the trees grow and the critters are wild and listen to nothing. That is the best therapy.

• skyking
    skyking

Late Fall and winter I have time to enjoy my inner tortoise. I really enjoy hunting it is a time to set back and watch nature. I hundreds deer at least a year never filling my tag until the end of season. This year I decided to not kill an Elk but to see how many bulls I could find and help others. I saw 15 Bulls total that would have been easy freezer meat. God's creations energies me and grounds my thoughts we need to save wild places and not pollute the world we live in.

It is to bad most city folks have no idea how to find their inner tortoise.

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

Do tortoises have brains as large as ours? Maybe there's an answer.I'm listening to my inner tortoise; I've been procrastinating going to work since 9 a.m. It's 12:38 now. It sure makes the day long when you get to work on time.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned
    I'll be listening for my inner tortoise . . . I think his name is . . . Mike.

No offense, but if you only think his name is Mike, maybe you need to polish up your listening skills...

• Warlock
    Warlock
    How do we slow down and be like our tortoises? How do we pull ourselves into our shells and hide away from the bedlam for a while?

Ha. I'm trying to figure out how to speed up. I'm looking for my 'inner hare'.

Warlock

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

You'll never win the race that way my friend!

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

5:50am - Yep, this is the time to find your tortoise!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit