Prayer to the Holy Spirit

by Amazing 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

Nark and Little Toe,

Nark: "In your example with "the King / His Highness" the identification is only clear because the two expressions are known as equivalents in the reader's/hearer's usage." ... Littletoe: "though I appreciate that it can be translated the Lord Holy Spirit and the context seems to be predominantly filled with activity of the same."

This is the point ... and maybe I have erred in strict ancient Greek grammer, but overlaid a "known equivalent." Notwithstanding, the real use and purpose of Acts 13:2 was to show that the Holy Spirit is a person who speaks and exercises his own will. I will still look for the source reference which gave me the view that Lord and Holy Spirit were the same, because of the wording using the subordinate clause. When I do, I will post it. Doctrinally, they are the same, for the Holy Spirit is known as Lord and giver of life. However, doctrine should never dictate rules of grammer.

Thanks,

Jim Whitney

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Theologically, from the perspective of Trinitarian omnipresence, it isn't a huge issue. When you start to get down to the nitty-gritty of systematic theology and the offices of the persons of "God", it does have a bearing.

When you live in the knowledge of a continuous commune with the Divine it matters not one whit. Another case of substance over theory?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit