Stupid Americans

by Mackin 61 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I did not watch the video nor read much of this thread, as I am insulted to be called 'stupid' in the thread title, simply due to my heritage and nationality. Likely there are as many stupid people [depending on your perspective] anywhere you wish to look, including your nation.

Jeff

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Of course some jokes fall completely flat when y'all don't understand what we're saying in the first place, or when its totally laden with cultural references. Since we tend to get lots of American TV shows (including the ubiquitous "Springer") it's possibly easier for us to adapt than y'all.

Bathroom humour gooood, Paraplegic humour baaaad.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

For the record, I don't get the bathroom humor brits seem to find so amusing.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    Paraplegic humour baaaad.

Maybe bad but damn funny. I'm so glad I get BBC America

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

IMHO there's nothing more stupid than taking offense where none was intended, especially if it takes place before taking in all the facts and the context

One thing I love about this place is that its a multi-cultural mixing ground. As time wears on the tolerance levels rise as folks grow in awareness of where others are coming from.

It must be a real blessing for our more insular cousins ~insert huge tongue in cheek emoticon to indicate that comment is clearly meant as humour rather than intending offense~

• Xena
    Xena

I did not watch the video nor read much of this thread, as I am insulted to be called 'stupid' in the thread title, simply due to my heritage and nationality. Likely there are as many stupid people [depending on your perspective] anywhere you wish to look, including your nation.

Jeff

I don't know I guess it takes more to insult me nowdays. The way I see it, I know I'm not stupid so he obviously isn't talking about me. Being in an intercultural relationship has also made me less quick to take offense until I'm absolutely certain offense was intended, most of the time it's usually a difference in language, humor or some such thing.

Bathroom humour gooood, Paraplegic humour baaaad.

They are both bad....you will see that eventually. I have faith.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

And that is why, although I can't stand the man, Jim Carey will continue to be a god on the comedy circuit!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe
    The way I see it, I know I'm not stupid so he obviously isn't talking about me.

That would be one of many defenses, darlin'.

The next would be: "He obviously doesn't know me as well as he thinks he does", followed by: "he really doesn't have such a great grasp of social skills, does he?", and so on...

There are many ways to avert taking offense, but when it eventually gets to the point where offense is obviously intended there's always that great American invention - the baseball bat!

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    I don't know I guess it takes more to insult me nowdays.

I'm generally not - but when respect for others is sacrificed to grab attention...... well, then I guess I am.

However I did find the Dumb and Dumber outtake to be funny. Thanx Nic.

IMHO there's nothing more stupid than taking offense where none was intended, especially if it takes place before taking in all the facts and the context

I took it in context [if you refer to my post]. The context was the header for the thread, which is insulting to this American. And if it had been addressed to Brits or Irishmen or blacks or spaniards, I would have been offended and embarrassed for them too. Maybe not to all Americans, but to this one it was insulting to begin with. No less in bad-taste than if I had titled one 'Stupid [name your race or nationality of choice here].' How is that out of context? Now, a disclaimer would have offset that, and attracted just as much [more favorable] attention. And would have shown class.

Studid Americans [just a joke guys, take a look].

Jeff

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Jeff:To take the content without the context, or the context without the content will leave you deficient of information. In either case its a poor foundation from which to take offense.

Besides, you can't expect an Aussie or a Kiwi to show class, they live upside-down and all the blood drains to their heads, for gawd-sakes!!!

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/128717/1.ashx

Studid Americans [just a joke guys, take a look].

Are you saying that all Americans are studs?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit