from Gone With the Wind

by purplesofa 28 Replies latest jw friends

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

alt

alt

I took these pics of The Old Mill last week........thought you might enjoy.......the old house is the house I lived in as a teenager and also was married in. The Old Mill is only a few short blocks from this house.

http://www.northlittlerock.org/old_mill.html

The Old Mill in the opening scenes from Gone with the Wind. It is in North Little Rock, Arkansas. there are houses built all around it. About 200 weddings are at the Old Mill each year........It is so beaufitul in the spring.

alt

alt

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Historic Spots

From Amanda Galiano,
    Your Guide to Little Rock, AR.
    FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!

North Little Rock's Old Mill

The old South isn't completely gone with the wind in North Little Rock. A short drive from McCain mall will bring you to a quiet, tranquil place that looks like something from an old movie. As a matter of fact, it was featured in the opening scene of Gone With the Wind. It's believed to be the only remaining structure from that film. So, put on your hoop squirt, grab your parasol and your "twiddly dee dee" attitude and come for a visit.

Arkansans use the Old Mill, also known as Pugh's Old Mill, for many outdoor activities. On a nice spring day, you're bound to find people picnicking, children laying in the grass or playing in the water and perhaps even weddings or photo shoots. Many people choose the Old Mill as a place to say their nuptials and many schools around North Little Rock have their school photos taken there. Who needs a fake backdrop when you have true Southern heritage behind you?

The Old Mill is not actually as old as it appears. In 1933, Justin Matthews contracted for the construction of a replica of an old-water-powered grist mill. He did not set out to copy any preexisting mill, but instead chose to design something that would fit with the contour of the area. He wanted the mill to appear as if it belonged in Arkansas and had been here since the 1800s. The Mill is intended to appear neglected, just as old mills that were in service in the early 1800's had become by the 1930's.

The park is decorated with sculptures of toadstools, tree stumps, and a tree branch-entwined bridge that connects the mill to the rest of the park. Senor Dionico Rodriguez, a sculptor and artist of Mexico City, was responsible for all the details of each piece of concrete work made to represent wood, iron or stone, as well as the designing of the foot bridges and rustic seats. During the summer of 1991, Rodriguez's work at the Old Mill was renovated by the great-nephew of the original artist, Carlos Cortes.

The Old Mill was nationally recognized in 1986 by being placed on the National Register of Historic Places. Admission to the Mill is free and visitors may tour at their own pace. It is open from dawn until dusk. You can find it in the Lakewood area on Lakeshore drive. All you need to do is take McCain Boulevard East and you'll see Lakeshore which has signs pointing you to the mill.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Great pics purps, and a reminder of a film I have enjoyed wtaching on several occasions as well, thankyou.

• purplesofa
  • purplesofa
    purplesofa

alt

this house was once owned by a doctor.........when we planted a garden in the backyard.........we found heaps of bottles that were once used for medicine buried....

• purplesofa
  • return visitor
    return visitor

Hey purps,

I too am from the south (New Orleans) and have alway been interested in the old south. Thanks for the pics and the memories they invoke.

RV

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

Cool pics, purps!

Nice to have a bit of history on the doorstep.

tim

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

We just bought Gone With The Wind DVD last week and watched again. The theme music is haunting. RKO pictures use to have what they called "The Million Dollar Movie" and this theme music from gone with the wind was how they opened each showing late at night during the sixties. My mom always watched these shows and that theme was haunting. Do you know who composed it?

Blueblades

• Mary
    Mary

Beautiful pictures! I had always assumed from watching the movie that that Mill was somewhere in Georgia........

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit