The Mystery behind the Conventions and Assemblies

by The wanderer 36 Replies latest jw friends

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

TO SEE IF YOU CAN GET 6 MILLION PEOPLE TO LOOK AND SOUND LIKE SEALS AND CLAP EVERY COUPLE OF MINUTES.

abr

• Bryan
    Bryan

I agree with Farkel and would add that the assemblies are good ol' time revivals. Something to keep the rank and file thirsty for more propaganda. Unlike the traveling Baptist preacher, the watchtower not only manages to collect monies, but they also get the JW's to pay for the event.

Bryan

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

jaguarbass:

For a 30 something year old couple to join the kingdom hall today. They would have to be computer illiterate, which in the USA would probably but not necessarily make them Mexican migrant workers. The society would have to steal them away from the catholic church.

Not necessarily the Catholic Church. The fastest-growing religions these days among Hispanic peoples are the evangelical denominations; Assemblies of God and other charismatic churches in particular, I believe. And since these churches have better "special effects," it's a very hard sell (as any ex-JW knows who has tried to convert a "born-again" to "the truth").

The jaydubs appeal principally to people who are impressed by intellectualism, but are not educated enough to do the real thing -- and hence are susceptible to the circular reasoning, faux rationalism and deliberate dryness (my dictation software wanted to say "triteness," which is also a feature of their "thought") which the witnesses specialize in.

As one poster put it here recently, what's most impressive about jaydub preaching is that they have answers to questions it never occurs to anyone to ask.

gently feral

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Farkel,

I remember it well. It was all about the new BOOKS!

That makes sense to me, but now that new releases are down to one flimsy pamphlet or tract per convention -- aren't they killing the cash cow? What is their principal revenue stream now? Are they really making up for the paucity of new releases by selling off real estate?

TweetieBird,

When my children were little, I always felt the conventions were designed to help parents cope with persecution. To me, being put in prison would have been preferable than trying to force small children to sit quiet all day.
    I had two active, healthy children to cope with at conventions for most of the 20 years that we were in. I wonder why I never thought of that!

OUTLAW,

It was where you would be safe from the rest of the world,
    I've been other groups -- religious and cultural -- since I unjaydubbed, and noticed in each of them the same "warm bath" sensation of being surrounded by like-minded people -- of not having to explain yourself. Uh, "wherever two or three are gathered together," or something.

gently feral

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I know for a fact that the District Conventions are a money-maker.

I worked in the Accounts Dept.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Wanderer..A Facade of unification of the Jehovah`s Witness masses..WBT$ made you feal like you were part of a large group..Untill you disobey..A Double Edged Sword called an "Assembly"...OUTLAW

• bernadette
    bernadette
    Did the Watchtower hold conventions to show the world God has a united people?

I think conventions are held to show the FDS their power

And to show dubs the power of the FDS

everyone feels important, safe and secure - roll on next convention

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit