The Mystery behind the Conventions and Assemblies

by The wanderer 36 Replies latest jw friends

• NanaR
    NanaR

What was the Real Motivation behind the Conventions?

As to the WTS motivation in HAVING them, who knows? (but the reasons already mentioned sound reasonable)

As to GOING to them -- well, if you were a single witness above the age of 13, I believe the main motivation was meeting the opposite sex :-) I mean, how were we EVER supposed to get married if we didn't have these large "mixers" so we could find a JW partner who lived on the other side of the country and then marry them the day we turned 18...

Without conventions, I'm thinking there would have been a great many more marriages "out of the organization".

So, keeping the young ones corralled to breed with "their own" maybe?

NanaR

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

New releases, new explanations, new truths to replace the old ones. Bethelites we can't tell you about any new releases. Insiders we can give you a hint new system coming soon! Read all about it, get your new books at the Convention. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Oh, did I forget to mention MONEY!

Blueblades

• rolling rock
    rolling rock

NanaR Post 113 of 114 since 01-Nov-06 Junior Member 54 y 2 m 23 d United States, Kentucky QUOTE "Without conventions, I'm thinking there would have been a great many more marriages "out of the organization". So, keeping the young ones corralled to breed with "their own" maybe?" Thats the best one yet... I can see that being a real reason too. Good point NanaR...

• rolling rock
    rolling rock

NanaR
    Post 113 of 114
    since 01-Nov-06
    54 y 2 m 23 d
    United States, Kentucky

"Without conventions, I'm thinking there would have been a great many more marriages "out of the organization".

So, keeping the young ones corralled to breed with "their own" maybe?"

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Assemblys were where you got the "New Information",the "Special information".It was where the new books to be peddled were released.It was where you would be safe from the rest of the world,the whole world is after the JW`s.....In Reality:..It was the same old crap with a cherry on it..It was a way to make some money for the WBT$..It was a way to re-enforce all the bullsh*t you were taught at the Kingdom Hall..It was where you went to waste more days of your life you could never get back...OUTLAW

• zack
    zack

Money. Control. Retention. More MONEY.

And I don't know who has the money, but someone has the money somewhere. Sooner or later all will find out where the money's gone. I wouldn't be surprised if one

day the WTS announced that it's financial operations will be entrusted to faithful brothers OUTSIDE the corporations because "We have to outsmart" Satan before the tribulation.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    Did the assemblies set the stage for recruiting more members?

No. Have you ever invited and brought someone to a convention? They think they are coming to an interesting event, and after a few hours, they excuse themselves and get the hell away from the constant droaning of the speakers.

• lfcviking
    lfcviking

Well it could be to give something for the dubs to look forward to during the year because when you take away their Christmas, birthdays & other celebratory things you enjoy i suppose you have to replace it with something else. The Watchtower probably realises this and hence considers it as a suitable substitution.

• I quit!
    I quit!

I think they have them to make money and convince dubs that something really big is going on and they are a part of it. No one else cares.

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

I did find it funny that I now live in a big convention town where we always went. I go to a church on a hill where you can look down and see the convention center. I could see the cars and know my family was inside (not that they gave me a call and told me they were in town mind you). I remember no one talking about it at ALL the whole summer they had conventions off and on. I didn't notice any difference in traffic. I work near the convention site too and I don't remember noticing any signs or anything. I know when I was a JW seeing a sign as I entered the convention site that would say something like "welcome Jehovah's Witnesses" but I haven't noticed one since I've been out.

And I always thought they made a difference in the community.. HAHAHAHAH

:)

Renee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit