Is it brainwashing?

by jgnat 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jgnat
    jgnat

I've had a bit of a semantic tousle with a member of this board on whether the coercive techniques used by the WTBTS to obtain and retain members is "brainwashing". I say "brainwashing" is not a good description of what goes on, I prefer "mind control", or coercive and deceptive techniques. He argued to call it something less than "brainwashing" is to water down the destructive effects of the WTS on it's members and former members. My argument is that if we overstate the case, we weaken our position, making us look inaccurate at best, like shrieking opposers at worst.

I'll tell a story that hopefully puts some perspective on my position. My children, when they were small, would limp home complaining they'd "broken my ankle", or "broken my leg". After a motherly examination, I declared they were suffering from a sprain. "But mom, it hurts so bad!" I explained to them that a sprain can hurt worse than a break. I'm finding that ever more true as I get older. A broken bone mends on schedule. Shredded tendons and muscles can take years, and intensive physiotherapy, to overcome. Just because it's soft tissue damage, does not diminish at all, the severity of the injury.

"Brainwashing" has a whole bunch of emotive images attached. People think of torture, sleep deprivation, chanting, and a forced conversion against the person's will. There are examples of American Soldiers who briefly converted to Communism, following such "brain-washing" techniques. Much to the American administration's relief, victims of this "brainwashing" quickly reverted to their base beliefs when they left their controller's environment.

I believe the WT conversion technique is much kinder on the surface, takes longer to take hold, and has a much stronger hold on it's members. Even well after they have left the WTS's influence, a former member can be haunted by WTS concepts and "trigger words". Even if it is not "brainwashing" as vividly imagined by the public, the WTS techniques are no less effective. The person's base personality remains while they are undergoing conversion, but it is steadily sublimated by the "put-on" personality the WTS steadily encourages the convert to emulate. I think the WTS is well aware of how long this process takes. Hence, the extended book studies, and the instructions to complete six months or more of study before declaring the person "ready" for baptism sublimation. Eventually, the "put-on" personality dominates. The WTBTS must continually renew it's message to influence the person to maintain this "new" personality. Hence, the frequent meetings to reinforce the new behavior. My guess is that the slower conversion equates to slower recovery afterwards. If the exiting Witness never confronts his base beliefs, he may never recover from the WTS influence.

Even though the WTBTS technique is not brainwashing in the popular sense, is it any less damaging? I think not! Using my domestic example, if "brainwashing" were a "break", then "coercive mind control" is "soft-tissue damage". It's no less damaging, and takes years to recover from.

Some more links and notes to explain my thoughts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainwashing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Langone

Q. What is Mind Control?

Mind control (also referred to as "brainwashing," "coercive persuasion," "thought reform," and the "systematic manipulation of psychological and social influence") refers to a process in which a group or individual systematically uses unethically manipulative methods to persuade others to conform to the wishes of the manipulator(s), often to the detriment of the person being manipulated.

Such methods include:

extensive control of information in order to limit alternatives from which members may make "choices";

deception;

group pressure;

intense indoctrination into a belief system that denigrates independent critical thinking and considers the world outside the group to be threatening, evil, or gravely in error;

an insistence that members’ distress—much of which may consist of anxiety and guilt subtly induced by the group—can be relieved only by conforming to the group;

physical and/or psychological debilitation through inadequate diet or fatigue;

the induction of dissociative (trance-like) states (via the misuse of meditation, chanting, speaking in tongues, and other exercises) in which attention is narrowed, suggestibility heightened, and independent critical thinking weakened;

alternation of harshness/threats and leniency/ love in order to effect compliance with the leadership’s wishes;

isolation from social supports;

and pressured public confessions.

Although the process by which cults come to exercise mind control over members is complex and varies a great deal, there appear to be three overlapping stages:

Deception

Recruits are duped into believing that the group is benevolent and will enrich their lives by, for example, advancing their spirituality or increasing their self-esteem and security. As a result of this deception and the systematic use of highly manipulative techniques of influence, recruits come to commit themselves to the group’s prescribed ways of thinking, feeling, and acting; in other words, they become members or converts.

Dependency

By gradually isolating members from outside influences, establishing unrealistically high and guilt-inducing expectations, punishing any expressions of "negativity," and denigrating independent, critical thinking, the group causes members to become extremely dependent on the group’s compliance-oriented expressions of love and support.

Dread

Once a state of dependency is firmly established, the group’s control over members’ thoughts, feelings, and behavior is strengthened by the members’ growing dread of losing the group’s psychological support (physical threat also occurs in some groups), however much it may aim at ensuring their compliance with leadership’s often debilitating demands.

http://www.csj.org/infoserv_articles/langone_michael_cultsqa.htm

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Wow, long 'post' but a simple answer here...................

When I was a JW, I told people I knew I was being 'brain washed' and that was good! What person would not want his 'brain' cleaned up? You know..........'The New Personality'!

Outaservice

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Excellent post! This is something I too agree with you on. For all practical purposes, one might say that brain washing and mind control are two methods used to achieve similar results.

Imo, mind control is far more effective because it creates the illusion that you made the choice and have control. Beliefs and activities are revealed gradually to the new member because it would be too much for them otherwise, that is to say, they would see that the group is crap and stay away. By showing the "sugar" first, it is an excellent way to get the recruit from looking at the oddities. Suffice to say, many recruits are themsevles going through troubled times, and if the perceive love, don't often question much more then that. They have a feeling of acceptance and belonging that they were formerly lacking. Suffice to say, this lays the groundwork for the dependency and dread stages you described....

• garybuss
    garybuss

Yup! That's what our Witness group leader would say. "People say we are brain washed. That's good! Our brains are washed clean and theirs are dirty!" And everybody would laugh. That's how it was framed and being called "brainwashed" had no affect on us but to make us laugh.

Personally, I can't see how calling someone "brainwashed" to their face can help them. It's insulting. It's taking the high road. It's like telling someone: "I'll pray for you.". It's condescending and insulting! That's an excellent way to loose rapport.

Rather than use labels, why not just state the facts and let the facts stand for themselves?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Admittedly - I am the one with whom jgnat has 'had a bit of a semantic tousle '.

I shall avoid being once again drawn into such semantic argumentation, as my basic inclination is to agree with Gary here;

Rather than use labels, why not just state the facts and let the facts stand for themselves?

The facts are [call them soft-tissue damage or a broken bone either];

• The WTS destroys families with policies that divide and tear at the fabric of such.
    • The WTS subterfuge in it's mind control/brainwashing results in dysfunctionality mentally, and retardation spirtually.
    • It ruins marriages, alienates children and grandchildren from familial blood, emotionally stunts growth, and creates delusion.
    • It kills in it's arbitrary rule-making regarding medical decisions.
    • It retards growth in education, creates a senior population that is government dependent due to such.
    • It teaches it's adherants to accept foolish reason, false predictions, and outright lies as acceptable and without consequence as long as such emanates from 'Mother'.
    • It creates a delusional society, unclear on function outside of dependence on the organization.
    • It retards socialization.

Regardless of weather we 'label' this destructive cult as guilty of 'brainwashing' or 'mind control' is IMHO purely 'semantics'. In other languages besides English there may indeed exist just a single term to describe both. English has a tendency to 'create' multiple terms with little or no shade of differentiation in realistic meaning. And hence debates over such.

On my early exit from this hateful bunch [after 40 years as my credetials], I hesitated to call the group a 'cult' - Now I know it is - both by definition, and by the reality of what it does. I hesistated to even call the mental control - mind-control - yet that surely was a false assumption by one who was not wishing to admit that he had fallen under such spell, was so foolish to have done so. I resisted for a long time calling that control 'brainwashing' for many of the same reasons.

I have no doctorate or degree in this matter - but from a pragmatic position I will state that 'I was Brainwashed'. My personality was not allowed to be my personality. My thinking was not my own. My objectivity was submerged. My skills in discernment were rendered lifeless.

Analogize it as 'soft tissue destruction' or 'broken bone' - no difference. My mind was surplanted with lies, deceptive reason, false teaching. My mind became my own only after years of exit, and self-therapy on boards like this and in personal discussions. Many others have never healed and perhaps never will.

I refuse to allow a nice soft petal word to conceal the agony that I felt and the years of my life that were stolen by that organization.

Some may be willing to call it 'soft tissue damage' - and imply that nothing was broken. I was broken!! I have healed from that break and have made it my mission in life to make sure that no one fails to notice who broke me. My mind was washed of myself by an organization that took my-self away from me for 40 years. Those who have not felt/lived/tasted the reality of what happens to ones mind when it is locked away - cannot possibly comment from a perspective that I can, or that others here can.

I want to use the strongest word I can to describe the actions taken to rape my mind for most of my life;

I choose BRAINWASHING because I lived it.

Jeff [of the 'I wasn't going to do this class - but I suddenly got very pissed at what was stolen from me]

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

BTW - it appears as though the article posted supports the use of either term interchangably

Q. What is Mind Control?

Mind control (also referred to as"brainwashing," "coercive persuasion," "thought reform," and the "systematic manipulation of psychological and social influence") refers to a process in which a group or individual systematically uses unethically manipulative methods to persuade others to conform to the wishes of the manipulator(s), often to the detriment of the person being manipulated.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I wrote the following a few years back, see http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/43860/1.ashx

It didn't get much of a response but I feel it might be worth putting here, hope that's okay with you jgnat.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brainwashed

Most of us are fortunate enough never to have experienced it but we may have read about persons who have been in the hands of foreign authorities where brainwashing is practiced on political suspects. In this situation, the questioner is not merely given authority by prestige; he may also have the power to keep the tortured person in prison, to torture him, and perhaps end his life. The suggestibility of the person questioned may be increased by prolonged questioning, by being made to stand for many hours, by deprivation of sleep, by anxiety or by drugging. We may well doubt whether mere psychological understanding of the process would enable one in the end to resist its effects even though such understanding might be helpful in the early stages.

Some people are, however, more resistant to such situations than others. The accounts given by the more resistant suggest that maintaining an attitude of emotional non-involvement is an important element in resistance. By emotional non-involvement is meant not responding to the questioner's anger by anger, or to his kindness with gratitude. Some have reported that they can maintain this emotional non-involvement by persisting in an attitude of contempt for their questioner's; some by the harder but perhaps more effective device of persisting in an attitude of love towards them.

There exists among Jehovah's Witnesses a depressingly similar situation. Those in authority gain prestige by virtue of their position and responsibilities. Though the Watchtower Society may deny to it's members that any 'brother' has authority over another, that in fact the only authority it's members should recognize is that of Jehovah God himself, the truth is that the organization is hierarchical in both nature and structure.
    Thus, amongst individual Jehovah's Witnesses will be found a graduated level of respect and prestige given to those whom they accept to have authority over them. In order of authority, from the greatest first, the list might look something like this;

1. Governing Body Member

2. Zone Overseer

3. Branch Overseer

4. District Overseer

5. Circuit Overseer

6. Local Elders

Even among the local Elders their exists an authority structure something like this;

1. Presiding Overseer

2. Service Committee Members:
    [Presiding Overseer]
    Field Service Overseer
    Congregation Secretary

3. Watchtower Study Conductor

4. School Overseer

5. Group Study Conductor

6. Various others such as:
    Literature Servant
    Magazine Servant
    Hall Servant
    Sound Servant

(Many of these lesser roles are assigned either to Elders of limited teaching or public speaking ability or to a class of members known as Ministerial Servants.)

The effect, whether intended or not, is to produce amongst the 'rank and file' members recognition of the authority structure which exists above them, the acceptance of whatever direction, counsel, advice or information 'comes down to them'. The greater the authority the more readily it is accepted and believed. This is clearly evidenced by the willingness most Jehovah's Witnesses show to believe anything written by the Watchtower Society - this being viewed as having come from the Governing Body Members themselves. When questioned about some doctrine or policy, most Jehovah's Witnesses will be heard to remark; "the Society says" or "the Watchtower says". So much so in fact that the the Watchtower Society has recently had to issue specific guidance to its member not to respond in such a manner when conversing with the public so as not to convey the impression that it's members cannot think for themselves!

So much for authority, but surely that authority does not have real power over its members? Certainly not like that of the inquisitors mentioned above who "have the power to [1] keep the tortured person in prison, [2] to torture him, and perhaps [3] end his life." Let's consider each of these in a little more detail.

[1] Does the Watchtower Society have the power to 'keep the tortured person in prison'?If loss of freedom or the threat of being separated from family and friends is torture then the Jehovah's Witness who begins to question the authority of the Watchtower Society is most certainly a 'tortured person'. He will not enjoy the freedom to share with his peers the new things he is learning. He is not free to voice doubts or even express an opinion contrary to official Watchtower policy. To do so would inevitably lead to his being called before a 'Judicial Committee' - an inquisition! The committee is comprised of at least three elders, sometimes more. Witnesses may be called on both sides but the accused member is denied the freedom to have the meeting recorded or even witnessed by an independent observer.
    It is the stated aim of the Elders to 'readjust his thinking' and ensure that this 'straying sheep' does not leave the fold. But of course, independently minded persons are not 'sheep' and any attempts to block an individuals freedom to leave by threat of shunning can only be tortuous to a mother, father, daughter or son who is threatened with the loss of their family or friends who remain inside the Watchtower Prison. These are the methods commonly used to ensure strict conformity to the Watchtower line. Though it is not the genuine unity that the Society so proudly boasts of it certainly does give such an outward appearance to the casual observer. Beneath the surface however are very many discontented, doubting and very genuinely tortured individuals who remain silent rather than risk exposure.
    The Watchtower Society most certainly has 'the power to keep the tortured person in prison' but is it a power they use often? How many are affected by this tortuous regime?

[2] Does the Watchtower Society ever 'torture' its members?You may believe that the expulsion and subsequent shunning of independently minded members with all the havoc such action wreaks amongst families is relatively rare, perhaps that the Watchtower Society only moves to expel a few rebellious troublemakers every now and then. Not so.
    The Watchtower Society's own figures show that worldwide an average of 35,000 are removed from the organization each year. In fairness, a very small proportion of these have left of their own volition by writing a formal letter of 'Disassociation'. These may be individuals with no familial ties to the organization or perhaps they have simply made the brave decision to act by their conscience and make a stand. The majority of those who are expelled have been judged guilty of showing no 'repentance for their sinful course of action'. Often these will be teenagers who simply gave in to sexual desires that most of us would consider healthy and normal. It is worth noting that the Watchtower Society does not provide it's younger members any advice on safe sex or contraception as the only acceptable sexual outlet is deemed to be that within marriage. Masturbation is forbidden - with all the tortuous guilt and frustration that lays upon indoctrinated teenagers - and even within marriage the nature and practice of the sexual act is subject to the policies of the Watchtower Society. This ever present influence over the most private areas of personal sexuality even between willing and consenting partners is just another form of the tortuous control the Watchtower Society exerts over its members.

[3] Does the Watchtower Society have power over each member to the point where it may 'end his life'?What does it mean to have one's life 'ended'?When a person reaches the lowest ebb of despair, perhaps through the loss of a child, spouse or partner or through some other tragedy, they may remark, "My life is over".Physically, they carry on going of course, but the meaning and purpose to their existence has been removed and the void that is left feels like a kind of 'death'.

In this respect the Watchtower Society most certainly holds the power of death over its members.The threat of being cut off, removed from all social contact with ones family and friends, hangs like a huge sword of Damocles over the heads of anyone who would dare challenge the authority of the Watchtower.It is a constant threat even to those who remain loyal and unquestioning, as the fear of losing family members who are less 'spiritual' is very real.

Not to be overlooked are the hundreds of literal, needless deaths that have been caused by the Watchtower Society's suicidal indoctrination of it's members as respects blood transfusions, organ transplants and other medical procedures.This power over life and death is exercised via the Watchtowers various control mechanisms; it's local Elders, Hospital Liason Committees and Kingdom Hall indoctrination.

There is a lot more to be said about the Watchtower's use of coercive, manipulative propaganda.This will do for now......

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Jgnat, your first post is excellent. You have the popular classic definitions down.
    AllTimeJeff makes a good addition to your post:

Imo, mind control is far more effective because it creates the illusion that you made the choice and have control.

However, as much as I agree with you, our understanding is just the popular current
    understandings. Experts tend to vary with answers, so Jeff''s statement below is
    still correct.

Regardless of weather we 'label' this destructive cult as guilty of 'brainwashing' or 'mind control' is IMHO purely 'semantics'. In other languages besides English there may indeed exist just a single term to describe both. English has a tendency to 'create' multiple terms with little or no shade of differentiation in realistic meaning. And hence debates over such.

Call it what you want. Others don't even like Mind-control cult, although they fit
    all the definitions. People still think brainwashed people do things that they would
    not do if they were able to make their own decisions, while mind-controlled people
    are tricked into thinking they have made their own rational decisions, while the individual
    thinks that his mind was not tricked. ALL SEMANTICS for a destructive group that
    deceives you during recruitment, and uses coercive force to retain you.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

When you can preach Armageddon by 1975 for 30 years and can`t remember it after 12:00am January 1,1976,you are brainwashed..When you are told by the WBT$ to never have anything with worldly organizations.Then the WBT$ joins the UN-NGO and you think it`s all right,because WBT$ says so,you are brainwashed..If you have no time for yourself,sit in a windowless building and peddle meaningless liturature for decades,you are brainwashed..When you can turn on friends and family in a heartbeat,because the WBT$ says so,you are brainwashed..If you constantly make excuses for a corrupt organization regardless of what they have done,you are brain washed..If you can`t bare to hear or read anything negative about an organization that claims to have the truth,you are brainwashed...OUTLAW

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Thank you Nicolaou, OTWO, Outlaw.

And thank you jgnat also for posting this - it is beneficial, though we prob must agree to disagree on these particular semantics.

Jeff [Holds his hand out in the gesture of handshake and friendliness.]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit