Do JW’s qualify as Christ disciples based on John 13:34, 35?

by Sola Scriptura 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Sola Scriptura
    Sola Scriptura

Greetings all,

I’m a long time Lurker first time Poster…

I am an open minded JW who believes in freeness of speech.
    I love my Faith and my Worldwide Brother and Sisterhood (even though I see much room for improvement in how things are run).

I thought I would stir things up a bit with the following question:

Despite all of the Org’s problems (which some of you have clearly established here), do you think they at least qualify as SOME of Christ disciples? based on the main identifying mark of Christians, as stated at:

John 13:34, 35-
    ”I am giving you a new commandment, that you love one another; just as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves.”

As I stated before, this is my first Post… So take it easy on me you guys.. hee hee
    -----------------
    Sola Scriptura

"A simple layman armed with Scripture is greater than the mightiest pope without it"

-Martin Luther

• JH
    JH

Welcome to the board Sola Scriptura

The Witnesses read it this way:

John 13:34, 35-
    ”I am giving you a new commandment, that you may have CONDITIONAL love for one another; just as I have loved you, that you also may have CONDITIONAL love for one another.

I think that many JW's have true love for one another but the Org tells them to limit this love with their man made laws.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Welcome SolaScriptura,

Despite all of the Org’s problems (which some of you have clearly established here), do you think they at least qualify as SOME of Christ disciples?

If the question were

Despite all of the Org’s problems (which some of you have clearly established here), do you think some of them at least qualify as Christ disciples?

you would probably get many positive responses.

Merely belonging to a particular Christian sect, otoh, is hardly a sufficient (or necessary) qualification...

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

that was always a question with me, I never really saw the love in the congregation. It wasn't even about disfellowshipping or anything it was more about just a lack of love that I saw.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Welcome to the board!

I was an adult convert to Jehovah's Witnesses, and that scripture was always a problem for me, since there seemed to be no love in the organization. I gave up all my worldly friends and family only to live in a loveless, emotional vacuum for 20 years. I can't count the number of times I asked myself why they ever came to my door in the first place, since it was obvious they really wanted nothing to do with me. It would have been far more loving to simply beat me to death. The only reason I stayed as long as I did was because I was foolish enough to marry a JW. She was "loved" in the congregation the same as I was, and we spent the next 16 years "rejoicing" about how "loving" the congregations were to us and others. Unfortunately, the "love" the congregations had for us was probably the only thing we had in common, and our marriage didn't survive my leaving the cult.

The JWs don't know what love is. On the other hand, they are very good at hating others, even their own members. I've never seen anyone as zealous as the JWs when it comes to gossiping about and slandering their own members. Nowhere else have I seen people take such delight in the misfortunes of others, especially their own "brothers" and "sisters".

All things considered, I'm glad the JWs are so loveless. It made it so much easier to leave them behind when I discovered that their teachings are all lies.

W

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

There are many other groups with "love amoung themselves". As I am sure you know.....the JW's are not the only people trying to do what the Bible says. The Bible also says to "love your neighbor as yourself"....which the society limits showing the love by trying to preach and convert people "of the world"....yet, many people who are not JW's show neighborly love in the truest sence.

Welcome!!!!

• sspo
    sspo

There are many in the org. that display true love out of pure heart.

I do like the fact that they are neutral to wars and don't kill another human being but you will also get df if you do break your neutrality, something that it's left up to one's conscience in other religions and that's the way it should be.

Many other religions also display much love for one another especially when in need ( Losing your job for example, i've seen some church will help financially until you get back on your feet)

Do they qualify?

AS LONG AS YOU ARE AN ACTIVE MEMBER, MAKE ALL THE MEETINGS AND PUT IN YOUR 10hrs inSERVICE, IF YOU DON"T, USUALLY YOU ARE LEFT TO DIE AND NOT VIEWED AS PART OF THE CONGR.

AND EVEN THE SOCIETY RECCOMENDS TO AVOID SUCH INDIVIDUALS

• seek2find
    seek2find

Hi Sola and welcome, I'll try to go easy. (GRIN) Would those in your congregation show you the same love if they knew that you were doubting the Organization or that you were posting on an appostate board? Or might their love come to a screaching halt because you showed a lack of loyalty? Just retorical questions to test and see if what you experiance at the Hall is the same love Jesus spoke of. The pharaisees of Jesus day probaly showed love among themselves, yet he criticized them for not showing it equally to others, like in the Parable of the good Samairitian. Do they (the Witnesses) show equal love to members of other churches that claim to follow Christ? seek2find

• minimus
    minimus

WELCOME!!!!! JWs have PERVERTED love. They ridiculously say show "love" by treating your df'd family member as "dead". Case closed.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Additional remark:

"Loving one another" (John) is not the same as "loving your neighbour" or (a fortiori) "loving your enemies" (Synoptics etc.).

The former applies to the mutual recognition of a particular group of "elect" -- as is clear from the context of the same commandment in the First epistle of John: those who "love each other" are those who are "born from God" (note that if the WT were consistent with its pattern of interpretation, it would not apply to the so-called "non-anointed").

I don't think the history of JWs shows this kind of "love" even among the so-called "anointed" -- think of Ray Franz's fate. Not to mention that, if there are such Christians outside of the organisation, the WT simply dismisses them as non-Christians and members of Babylon the Great. QED.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit