They don't make things like they used to thread

by JH 15 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

OK, you may rant about anything that you find doesn't have the quality it used to have.

I bought a new toaster last week. My old one was 13 years old, and I just felt like I needed a new one. So I bought the same make, and similar price that I paid some 13 years ago. These small appliances don't cost more than they used to, but the quality went down.

Oh yeah, I threw my old toaster in the dumpster, so I won't go get it back......

Gee, with my old toaster, it took 2 minutes to get a toast done right, and now it takes 5 minutes !!!

So, I brought the toaster back and got my money back and bought a better one, and now it takes 4 minutes !!!

I told this to the clerk, and he told me that they don't make em like they used to. Even if you buy the same make.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

It's called planned obsolescence

Planned obsolescence (also built-in obsolescence (UK)) is the conscious decision on the part of an agency to produce a consumer product that will become obsolete and/or non-functional in a defined time frame. Planned obsolescence has great benefits for a producer in that it means a consumer will buy their product repeatedly, as their old one is no longer functional or desirable. It exists in many different products from vehicles to lightbulbs, from buildings to software. There is, however, the potential backlash of consumers that become aware of such obsolescence; such consumers can shed their loyalty and buy from a company that caters to their desire for a more durable product.

Planned obsolescence was first developed in the 1920s and 1930s when mass production had opened every minute aspect of the production process to exacting analysis.

• JH
    JH

Well, now I can put 2 slices of bread in the toaster, and I have time to go check a few threads on JWD..... and then the toasts aren't still done.

So, I go make my bed, and fold a few clothes I left in the dryer.....and go check my toaster once more...

• greendawn
    greendawn

Unfortunately even companies that were known for their reliability of quality such as Sony, AEG, Bosch, BMW are no longer as reliable as before eg an AEG washing machine from the mid 1990's could easily last for 15 years whereas the current models probably only half that time. Might as well buy a cheap brand that will last only for 4 or 5 years. It's bad for the environment though, this short lifetime of products. Worst of all are most of the Chinese products, very cheap and very short lived.

• juni
    juni

I couldn't agree w/you more rat. I have a 14 yr. old electric range. The lower oven element died so I ordered a new one as I don't have the $ for a new stove. Lady on the line where I ordered it said it was better to replace parts if there isn't a whole lot wrong w/it than buying new.

What really irritates me is when you buy something new you can almost expect something wrong w/it where it has to go back and you get a replacement.

Juni

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I got an obscure factory own-brand washing machine and cooker, nice and cheap. They're both 10 yrs old now and still working well (hope I haven't just put the kiss of death on them!).

Funny thing is, they were made by the same factory which made 'Whirlpool' goods which then cost 4 - 5 times more than what I paid. Top brand names mean nothing these days like Greendawn says.

• Emma
    Emma

What gets me is that you're always pressured to by an extended warranty. Do they make the things so you need an extended warranty? If I'm buying it, I expect it to last and don't feel like I should have to pay more $$ for that.

• Mulan
    Mulan

what bothers me more is the way they have decreased food amounts and the packaging is the same.

For instance: Canned tuna used to be 7 1/2 to 8 ounces per can. Now they are 6, and I've seen some that are 4. The cans are the same size with just more water added. When I was a child my grandmother would make tuna sandwiches for 5 of us out of one can. You can't do that anymore. One can makes two good sandwiches and 3 skimpy ones.

Crackers used to be 12 ounces, and now they are 10............same size box.

I needed 12 ounces of butterscotch chips to make fudge recently. The package is 11 ounces. I had to buy 2. Chocolate chips still comes in 12 ounce packages, but it will be a big problem for recipes that only specify 1 package, without giving ounce amounts.

Just a pet peeve of mie.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I've seen tv shows about the shrinkage of food products. Like ice cream, we're used to the half gallon size but if you want a special flavor like butterfinger crunch it's not a half gallon it's a few ounces less. What's up with that?

• Scully
    Scully

You could always learn how to make toast in your oven, under the broiler. About one minute on each side, and voilĂ ! You can go enjoy your toast and JWD at the same time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit