They don't make things like they used to thread

by JH 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Until recently I've been using a washing machine and dryer made by Whirlpool. My parents bought them used in 1965. I figured 40+ years was pretty good, so I just bought a new Whirlpool washer and dryer. As far as I'm concerned the damn things better last me until I die.

W

• JH
    JH

Finally Free, my mom has an old washer and dryer, it's a Kenmore washer and dryer that she bought at Sears about 23 years ago. Still going good. But she used it only once a week.

I'm sure it could last another 10 years.

I bought a Moffat washer back in 1993. In 2002 it was shot.

• Princess
    Princess

I just bought some ice cream last night and ALL the packages that used to be 1/2 gallon are now 1.75 quarts. Same price, less product.

I usually buy the replacement policy on electronics. They pay for themselves in the long run. My husband bought me an iRiver MP3 player with a two year replacement policy for an extra $10. It started failing after a year or so, so I took it back. Because the technology had advanced, I was able to get a new player with a lot more memory and another 2 year replacement policy for the same price he paid for the first one.

We bought our daughter a Karaoke machine in 2004 for Christmas. We bought a 4 year repair/replace policy for an extra $30. It started showing signs of failure so I took it back. They don't carry them anymore so they gave me a store credit. I bought her a nice Sony stereo with the 2 year policy for an extra $10 over the original price. Best Buy for both the MP3 and the Karaoke machine.

The replacement policies have saved me hundreds of dollars and I have brand new upgraded products.

• restrangled
    restrangled

This is going to sound crazy and maybe its just our house. Has anyone noticed that new toilets (the inner tank workings) continually blow out, break down, etc.etc? I keep two repair kits at all times. The $400.00 brand breaks more often than the cheap $50.00 special.

Refrigerators seem to fall apart very quickly, and my new Dishwasher ($1000.00) by a german company has had every moving rack break.

My 2005 mustang's radio buttons are shot, the lever to move the seat forward popped off and the gas cap seal broke so the light is constantly lit. Also I can only fill my tank very, very slowly. If I let it fill at full pace, it kicks off the gas pump.

r

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

My toaster is an old used Sunbeam built in the '50s, and it is a tank. My blender is an old chrome Waring which would inflict serious injury if it ever were to be thrown at someone. I've got several Lava Lamps, and the older ones have a visibly superior flow, apparantly something different in the formula of the Lava in the ones made in Chicago, compared to the newer ones made in China. At any rate, it can pay to shop around at thrift stores and flea markets, as you can often find superior quality products for very much less than the cost of some new junk.

• JH
    JH

With that toaster, I bought a hair dryer, and this morning the hair dryer is already shot.

When I used it for the last time yesterday it had a burnt smell to it.

This morning I plug it in the wall, no fan no heat, nothing, and it's not the fuse or breaker, cause I tried it in other plugs.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit