Did you ever hear of stealing from the contributions box?

by jambon1 15 Replies latest jw friends

• jambon1
    jambon1

Did anyone ever hear about bros/sis`s stealing 'dedicated money' from the box?

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, one of the current day "bible" dramas at a DC featured that very problem...a teenager stealing from the contribution box. I'm not sure which year...will try and check.

1987 ? (double life)

• Gill
    Gill

Yes! A brother who was an elder and well respected in the Aylestone congregation in Leicestershire. He was stealing from the contribution box to support his failing business. He was found out and stripped of his position for a few years and then reinstated as Mr super Elder. Unbeknown to everyone else he was having an affair with two women, both sisters in his congregation. Even his wife claimed to suspect nothing, despite the affairs going on for well over 25 years. He was found out a year ago when one of his mistresses became pregnant. They ran off to Wales together and DA'd themselves.

The other mistress committed suicide a few weeks after being DF'd. Very sad story.

• blondie
    blondie

The position of accounts servant is hard to fill. It requires more paperwork than other admin positions and people are not always chosen because of ability. Over the last 40 years I have seen only 2 appropriate monies, mostly they were dumkopfs and didn't know what they were doing. Problems creep in when the person selected to "audit" also has no experience of knowledge of basic accounting procedures. Each time they took money, they were people with businesses that weren't doing very well.

There is an account of taking from the contributions in the WT publications that was posted recently. (not by me)

Blondie

• lurker
    lurker

Yes. I have heard of young ones cleaning out the box while everyone else was praying.

• chrissee
    chrissee

Never heard of that - I remember at my old hall they were locked during the meetings and unlocked at the end.

My father/elder was in charge of that-I could never figure out why, he never finished high school and math was not his best subject.

• Undecided
    Undecided

I was account servant when in my teens. I can't remember much about it now though. I remember getting money from the literature servant but don't remember getting it from the contribution boxes. I think someone else collected it from the contribution box and gave a reciept to me. It's been over 50 years ago.

Ken P.

• blondie
    blondie

Most contribution boxes are locked and only the accounts servant and the PO have a key (occasionally there is backup brother with a key). They are emptied after every meeting. Not much to take these days with few donating and by check. If monies are taken, it is usually by the ones with the keys.

Blondie

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

There was a rather big to-do at my congregation about a teenager stealing the contribution money. No one really liked the kid because he was like really a big baby, he'd complain all the time and I'm fairly positive he had ADD so he couldn't pay attention at the hall and would be very loud. But all of a sudden some money was missing from the contribution box and it was blamed on him. I somewhat question it because the contribution boxes were always locked and only one person I knew of had the key. So I don't know how he got into a locked box without the key to take money.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I never heard of anyone stealing from the box, but one accounts servant didn't use bank all the money, keeping so much for himself. He was found out eventually after an audit, and a closer watch was kept on the accounting after that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit