Greys Anatomy

by Woodsman 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

Anybody see Greys Anatomy tonight?

There was two Amish girls on it. One was shunned , the other wasn't because she wasn't baptized. That one had cancer and was dying. Her parents showed up because she called them. In her death she wanted to return. The shunned girl said goodbye and let her go. The mom acknowledged the shunned girl in appreciation but the dad didn't.

It totally could have been JWs with no script change. I couldn't figure out if it was critical of the fundamentalism of the Amish or sensitive to it. It was so realistic it was actually a fair treatment of a radical religion. It seemed neither critical nor supportive but a fictional portrayal of the way it might happen.

I have seen JWs, including myself, talk to the shunned out of compassion and a personal disapproval of shunning.(the Mom)

And I have seen those that took the hard line. (The Dad)

I have seen those that return to the WTS in their pain and lonelyness. (The dying girl)

And those who will never return. (The girls shunned friend)

So Greys Anatomy seems to have gotten all the characters right.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Yep, I watched it. Brought back lots of memories and feelings.

Maybe they'll do a "no-blood, JW episode" sometime!!

shell

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

yeah i saw it, and i couldn't agree more. it hit a little close to home with me. when the dying girl was reunited with her parents (only after she said she would come back home) after not seeing them for five or six years, i just lost it.

stupid tv shows.

stupid parents who refuse to include me in their lives.

stupid religions.

stupid extremist religions.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Well I was wondering if 1) someone was going to mention tonight's episode; 2) if Grey's was going to do a no-blood or religious episode (they all do at some point)

I thought it was pretty good. Considering the Amish are a lot like JWs. Let's remember the girl who was rapped and the Amish told the judge they wanted to handle it their way, which meant they would shun the boy for a while but no one said what "a while" was and in the end cause the girl took it to the "worldly" courts, she got shunned and the boy was reinstated or whatever the Amish call it. How typical of a male run, over the top religious group!

• J-ex-W
    J-ex-W

I normally watch "Grey's Anatomy." Glad I didn't. I think I would have been too emotionally vulnerable to sit through it last night.

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

yeah i have a terrible cold so i think that only added to my vulnerability. i was eating dinner and just completely lost my appetite and set down my bowl.

• pandora
    pandora

That episode brought back so many memories. I never got baptised, but all of my sisters did. We all fell away. It broke my sister's hearts that mom would talk to me and not them. Sadly, one of them got blackmailed back in. The other two are still going strong w/o the 'truf'. And I'm an athiest now. No chance of ME going back. :) I have found that I believe just as strongly as my mother does. Just the opposite of her. That does not add up to calm conversations about how I'm sinning. hehe

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

I saw it. I was surprised that I didn't get more emotional over it. I just understood.

When the girl goes back to her family and the other "lets her go", I got a little misty eyed, but I thought, yeah, I get that.

It made me think of Gumby and others on the board who love their family so much they are willing to go through so much to keep them in their lives. It made me think of those who are so sick right now and are fighting alone, so to speak, because their family will not speak to them. It's a time of their life they really need that unconditional love (think of Ian, MrsMcD etc) and they can't get it. If they want it, they would have to do what that girl on Grey's did.

Some do go back.

Some don't.

Either way, we do what we have to do, to survive or to die in peace.

• damselfly
    damselfly

I never cry but that episode had me in tears several times last night. I thought it was protrayed very accurately.

Dams

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I just finished watching it on: www.abc.com

It was a sad show, especially the part where the shunned girl left her best friend to be with her family. She would not be able to be with her friend at death, nor be able to attend the funeral or if she did she would be shunned. I'm taking things too far all that didn't happen in the show!

Anyway, I liked the ending with the other characters. (You'll have to see for yourselves.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit