Christianity did NOT borrow from pagan "Dying-Rising" God motifs

by yaddayadda 93 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Please understand. I am playing Devil's advocate here.

I don't know [Bill Maher's words] is my belief.

I care. But typically, I get no answers when I ask. I am not an unbeliever. I just keep looking to find how I can support being one. Yet all the believers just clam up and cover their ears as if I am blaspheming God. It is God I seek if he is to be found. Who wouldn't? Why does he want to make it a game of hide and seek? He is hiding - I am tired of seeking when he seems to be both everywhere and nowhere at the same time.

Jeff

• Perry
    Perry

"Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness." -2nd Thessalonians 2:9-12

I believe that many of your wishes for tangible proof will shortly come true...... all gratifying the flesh. I am preparing myself for any number of verifiable and measureable things to happen that will point away from Jesus who lives inside of me.

Keep in mind God makes the rules, he owes us nothing. If we ask for mercy through Jesus he will provide.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Keep in mind God makes the rules, he owes us nothing.

Wow. That is like excusing a parent who intentionally conceives a child, then puts him in a sensory deprivation chamber, while expecting him to perfectly conform to the parent's wishes, with no guidance or parental interaction whatsoever.

"What? He owed that child nothing."

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Perry - could you explain that scripture as indicating a God of Love?

"God shall send among them strong delusion" ? He wants to fool me so that I ......"might be damned" for not believing the 'Truth' that he had hidden? And I am accused of having 'pleasure in unrighteousness'?

My only hope is to be fooled? If I look for real evidence, that is seeking to gratify the flesh. Give me a friggin' break..

Wow! That's a God I want to worship! You really know how to lead someone to your loving Jesus within, man.

Jeff

• zarco
    zarco

Jeff,

Very well said. It is indeed so very hard. Why is it so difficult? With open minds maybe we shall find. A belief in a creator is all that remains. All else is in the category of "I dont know".

Zarco

• Perry
    Perry

That is like excusing a parent who intentionally conceives a child, then puts him in a sensory deprivation chamber,

It is? I thought God offered to become our Father after accepting Jesus. At least that's how my bible reads.

My only hope is to be fooled?

Not exactly. There is also hell and the Judgment at the Great White Throne. Then there is being cast into the Lake of Fire after Judgment. So, there is a lot more to all this than just deception.

Wow! That's a God I want to worship!

Yes, isn't it exiciting how everything will be judged.... no more secrets.

You really know how to lead someone to your loving Jesus within, man.

Well thanks. Thanks for making the connection between judgment and love. Most just breeze right over that.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Your book, the Bible is hateful then.

I look for proof that Jesus is real, and your book offers me damnation if I don't accept it without question or proof.

Unbelievable gall this God Jesus has.

My hope is to accept blindly, a man without any historical credentials, or Judgement or Hell or the Lake of Fire.

No thanks. If I had any question before this thread, I have none now.

Perry - there is no judgement coming. I have as much proof of that there isn't as you do that there is. Besides, what if Isis is really God - then we are in trouble, huh, considering the shortage of Egyptian morticians and tombs these days.

Jeff

• rebel8
    rebel8

It is? I thought God offered to become our Father after accepting Jesus. At least that's how my bible reads.

Oh, I thought you believed God is our creator. I stand corrected.

• Perry
    Perry

your book offers me damnation if I don't accept it without question or proof.

Jeff,

No. You won't be damned based on whether or not you accepted some book. You'll be damned for breaking any one of God's moral laws. And for that, you already have all the proof you need to determine guilt or innocence. I believe that no one will be in hell that didn't chose to go there.

"And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life" - John 5:40

"He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." -John 3:18

God must judge, or else he would be a collaborator in evil. It is in any executive job description. I don't understand why people have such a hard time with judgment.

I didn't come to a belief in God because I was scared of hell. I doubt most do. I believed in God because I finally got to the end of myself. I decided that I would not try to be good anymore. I decided that I would not try and impress anyone any longer. I gave God permission to do with me what he will... I didn't care what happened to myself any longer. My life got a lot worse immediately. My family rejected me because I let them see my Christmas tree. What I feared since I was a child finally came to pass. I just kept going. I didn't try to be good just because I was going to church either.

Slowly but surely, good happened. Blessings happened. Marriage happened. Children happened. Obstacles happened with no way out. God happened. Then, one day he presented himself to me through the Holy Spirit and for several days thereafter. I believe my spirit went on up into heaven one particular night and addressed angels. He just didn't show himself like someone asking for a magician to do another trick. He showed himself as my father, his spirit bearing witness with my spirit in utter peace and tranquility. The Holy Spirit is AWESOME let me tell you.

I remember the first time I was praying and called God Daddy. I was shocked that it slipped out so easily. But, that is what he is to me. He spoke the name that is reserved for me in heaven into my spirit early one morning as well.

These are not rare occurances. I have spoken to many believers with such encounters with God. No doubt, this sounds like madness. But this is my testimony. Take from it what you will or curse it, I don't care. I know that God exists. I know that judgment day is real because God said it, I believe it, and that settles it. Jesus talked alot about hell. So do I.

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name [Jesus] - John 1:12

May you receive him as Mediator.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

From the Koran

• "I bear witness that there is no God but the Almighty God and that Mohammad is a messenger of God."[1]
    • "For God hath said, 'Take not to yourselves two Gods, for He is one God.'" (Sura 16:53; cp. 20:7)
    • "Verily God will not forgive the union of other gods with Himself." (Sura 4:51)

I bring these out not to mock anyones personal beliefs, but to demonstrate that in the search for god, all religions claim to be the one way to worship and understand god. To act as if Jesus were god as a foregone conclusion is without merit.

There is just as much evidence for these verses from the Koran as there is for the verses used to support Christianity. The exact same thing. Thus, to merely throw scriptures around is a moot point.

Theology be damned, not people who are confused by a confusing god.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit