Who got the biggest.....

by Crumpet 18 Replies latest social current

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

SNOWFALL this morning? We had two inches in Surrey which put paid to all the trains, sent lorries jacknifing across the M25 and made my journey to work 2.5 hours.

Anyone beat my two inches?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

We reside in a snow belt here. But we honestly have not had more than maybe three inches total all winter.

Maybe just a covering on the ground now - though it is snowing lightly.

Jeff

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Nope - can't even beat that in sunny Yorkshire, we just got a dusting. It's just flippin' freezin' here!!!

I do wonder why it is that 2 inches of snow causes chaos on the roads, nobody used to bat an eyelid at that amount - maybe too much reliance on power steering and ABS these days?

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I know its crazy! I remember when we lived along the A606 in '87 and the drifts were several feet high and we had to dig people out of their cars when the road became blocked.

It was quite amusing standing at the station waiting for an hour for any train going anywhere listening to the kids on their mobile phones nagging at their parents to get onto the school and get it closed as it was too treacherous for them to travel - precious little blighters!

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Only flurries here too Ms. Crumpet. We do have approx. 6" total. I've had to use the snowblower about 4 times thus far.

Dismembered

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Love the avatar dismembered - somehow it suits your name perfectly!

What is a snow blower - maybe you can send some over to our rail services ?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Can't beat that, we only got a dusting last night.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    What is a snow blower - maybe you can send some over to our rail services ?

crumpet - they use large scale ones to clear airport runways here, they suck the snow up and dump it on the side. I suspect dismembered uses a smaller version - maybe like those things you can get to vac up leaves from the garden?

The rail operator up here experimented with what were called 'Swedish scrubbers' (DON'T ask lol!) apparently its an engine they use in Sweden which clears leaves/snow/whatever from the track (scrubbing) and then deposits a type of glue on them so that trains have improved traction.

There is a lot to be said for the old, heavy steam engines which used to melt snow and incinerate leaves that got in the way.

• acadian
    acadian

No snow here, it's suppose to be 60' f, today, I think that's about 15' c, and sunny

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

We got about 3ft of snow..The huskeys jump into the snow banks and play "Lose a Dog"...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit