Would you date someone with a history of INCEST?

by kristyann 90 Replies latest jw friends

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

If he is willing to give in to a blackmailer..what else could he be blackmailed into doing?

I think you are uncomfortable with it and am looking for someone here to make excuses for him because you care about him.

You really answered your own question because all I read was how you couldn't live with someone that did that.And if that's what he is telling you..but he said he had dark secrets..(Plural) what else has he done that he didn't confess to?

Too many red flags..He is trying to isolate you. ( A form of abuse ).he is telling you he can be blackmailed..actually the other party would be the ones hurting the grandparents or other family members by telling them.

Trust me..us oldsters are a lot tougher than you youngsters think..we wouldn't be all that shocked.He is just using that for an excuse to keep it up.

If I was you I would run..not walk away from him as fast as I could and lock my door behind..

Course that's my opinion..Maybe you could suggest you both seek a Psycologist together and see his reaction.( Use his guilty feelings as a reason)..that should tell you a lot about him. And maybe he doesn't want you talking to others because of what they may tell you about him?

Snoozy...

• lola28
    lola28

First let me say that I just threw up in my mouth. My answer to your question is "No" as a matter of fact lets change that and make it "HELL NO"

Lola

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

He doesn't want me to talk to anyone I've ever had sex with or even been on a date with at all.

He may have worked very hard to sweep you off your feet but he sounds like a

Control Freak!

This guy has deep issues. Be very careful. Especially if he starts pushing hard for commitment!

Matters of the heart are always tough ones.

• free2beme
    free2beme

Was it a first cousin? Because if it was, that is troubling. Anything beyond that is legal. Anyway, I can not exactly speak on this, as my great grandparents were first cousins. They had ten children, married for 61 years and had a loving family and tons of offspring grandchildren great grandchildren and so on, that turned out fine. Hard to hold anything against someone, that they did as a child though.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

kristyann first off welcome back!

Second I have a question or two about this statement:

He's about 10 years older than me, so he's in his early thirties. He says it was about 5 years ago or something, and it took place over a period of several years. He's not like some kind of hick or something (I know that's what people usually associate with this kind of thing). He really isn't at all.

If he's in his early thirties that would make him what 25ish when this happened?

It took place over a period of several years which would put him just about the age he is now?

If that time line is correct, heck even if it's not correct the one thing I would say is as a twenty something year old person he knew exactly what he was doing and as a twentyish year old person what on earth kept him from saying NO? He knew it was wrong and he did it anyway.

And my next question is why would he allow it to continue for so long what was her threat to him to keep him there? As if there needed to be a threat from a woman....my gawd how weak is this guy besides having a weak character? His cousin sounds like a real nutter to even ask this of him I really doubt had he been strong and of strong character and turned her down no matter what kind of ruckus she raised I doubt few people would have believed her. What kind of creap does his family think he is that he would rape his cousin or anyone for that matter?Besides there has to be some pride felt by a man if he turns down a woman (cousin or not) and she called rape to know in his heart he didn't do the deed. He did not do the honorable thing. Sheese!

Okay I'm done and I totally get the sense from you kristyann that you are sickened by his conduct and as others have said it's probably just the tip of the iceberg. He sounds like one sick puppy I would run as fast as you can from him and at least you know this much he's a weakling and you won't have to fight him off! <grin>

Trust your gut on this one dear there are far too many really nice well adjusted men out there to waste any time on this guy. Go find yourself a good one and get to know him a lot better, a lot better before you start any talk of marriage or even sleep with him. You know that's the good thing about dating it's to see if you are compatible and have the same values which are very important things to consider when considering marriage. You two are a mismatch move on. Dump him like yesterdays dog turd.

• juni
    juni

Welcome back.

To answer your question - NO

Also, re read what you said. You know that this would be a huge mistake. Too many "red flags" waving in your face. You said you want a fun relationship. This guy is trouble.

Controlling? Without a doubt. Does it get better? Absolutely not. People basically do not change. I don't know you and yet I hope you make a wise decision to prevent heartache down the road. If you do have self-esteem issues Kristy, see a therapist. They will really help you out kiddo.

Hugs,

Juni

• seawolf
    seawolf

Sorry, Kristy, but it sounds like this guy may have a family tree you do NOT want to climb.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    Sorry, Kristy, but it sounds like this guy may have a family tree you do NOT want to climb.

LOL @ seawolf! Looks like a family tree to chop down!

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

With all due respect kristyann, you sound like you've got doubts about this relationship that have little or nothing to do with his confession. I suspect there are other ancillary issues that give you pause, and perhaps he as well. I also suspect your doubts were there before he told you about his experience with his cousin. Lastly, I think you have your own answer and I would encourage you to listen to your own thoughts and feelings about your boyfriend. I think your answer about this relationship has little to do with whatever did, or did not, happen with his cousin and I think you already know what you want to do with this boyfriend.

However, to answer your question:

Would you date someone with a history of INCEST?

Thankfully my wife did not answer no. I am a survivor of incest, with both parents and my grandfather being the offender(s). If context helps, my abuse took place at a pre-school age. 23 years ago she married me, despite all my flaws, all my ugly past and all the baggage I've dumped on her the past quarter century. Thankfully she found something worthwhile in me that even I did not see. Thankfully she still puts up with me all these years later. And as I sit here, I honestly do not know why. I see nothing of value, but somehow she does.

Realize that not everyone who survives the hideous nature of incest turns around and becomes an offender. There is a theory, and one I subscribe to, that in an incestous family there are three roles: offender, denier and victim. This theory holds that (usually) one child is "assigned" the victim role. This child is usually the best and brightest, and so carries the family's pain, shame and the worst of the abuse that the offender in the family dishes out. This is the child that, if they survive, seeks treatment and most often becomes the one who escapes from the dysfunction of the incestous family.

The most common role, according to this theory, is that of the denier. These are the children (and the non-offending parent) who experience the hideous trauma and who lack the ability to deal with it. So they compartmentalize the experience: and so It Didn't Happen. These are the people who grow up and seek out dysfunctional people or offenders themselves. Because after all, Nothing Happened. Yeah right.

Then there is the relatively rare case of the offender. This is the child who identifies with the adult offender in the family. He (or she) is frightened and horrified that they are used in such a disgusting way but instead of facing it, they want to use others in the same way. These are the children who grow up to offend. These are the people who are furious at what was done to them, but instead of confronting it they cowardly pass it on. Anger is the flip side of fear, where one exists so does the other.

This is a very brief (and greatly over-generalized) capsulization of an incestuous family. This is a complex dynamic that deserves a better treatment than I am giving it.

I will say, however, that I find the title of your thread somewhat lurid and intentionally shocking. I am not offended, however I find this title somewhat in line with a grocery store rag headline. It's as if you brand anyone associated with incest with the same hot iron. Although I have literal scars from my grandfather, father and mother, I do not feel shame or embrassment over what was done. I will not accept the Scarlet Letter from anyone, however unintentional. I do not think you intended it to sound that way, however for survivors of incest it does feel that way.

As to whether he's telling the truth or not, I have no way of knowing. Nor does anyone here. We only know what you tell us. However, I suspect that there is more he is not telling you. If this is true, it most likely has to do with something he is deeply ashamed of. Whether this has to do with a real victimization of himself, or whether he victimized someone else I cannot say. Again, I think you already have your own doubts about this relationship irregardless of this subject.

Be well,

Chris

• J-ex-W
    J-ex-W

That depends...victim or perpetrator? Victim--yes, if he has significantly recovered and addressed the subsequent trauma. Perpetrator--never again...(yes, you heard that right----ex-husband---so, never again).

---I am editing now after reading the full post. Kristyann, I would seriously think of walking away from this relationship. He sounds like he has NOT significantly recovered and certainly not adequately addressed the trauma and how it carries over into the current situation. He either is a rape victim in denial or a master manipulator. Either way, it's not going to be an easy road for you if you stay with this man. It's going to be a crazy-making situation for you. You deserve better. Honestly, I'd steer clear, the sooner the better.

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes by giving this advice, but it is how I see it. Good luck in figuring it out.

And BTW, I'd worry less about the cousin thing (DNA is quite distant for anything after first cousins) and worry more about how he characterizes the situation/ events. That part is where alarm bells go off for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit