Would you date someone with a history of INCEST?

by kristyann 90 Replies latest jw friends

• kristyann
    kristyann

Hey everyone! I hope that at least someone missed me or noticed that I was gone! I have been so busy, and I don't think that I've really been on here since June. Well, I'm glad to be back. I don't know how often I'll be on here, what with school and all, but I have missed the discussions, that's for sure.

Well, I wanted to ask what everyone thinks of a new relationship that I'm in. I have been dating this guy for about 5 or 6 months, and we have gotten very close in that time. I met him in August and we've been spending lots of time together ever since. I really adore him... but he told me something the other night that really freaked me out.

My boyfriend says to me on the phone the other night that he has dark secrets that he's afraid to tell me but that are eating away at him. So I'm like "Go ahead and tell me, I just want to listen." It took him a little while, but he finally revealed to me that years ago he used to have sex with his COUSIN. With his COUSIN!!! He's about 10 years older than me, so he's in his early thirties. He says it was about 5 years ago or something, and it took place over a period of several years. He's not like some kind of hick or something (I know that's what people usually associate with this kind of thing). He really isn't at all.

He says that he feels very guilty over it now and he's ashamed and he thinks it's disgusting. He says that when he thinks of it, he wants to throw up. I think it's sick and really weird and all... it totally freaked me out... but at the same time, what's past is past, and if someone really regrets it and thinks it's sick now, I'm willing to forget it and move on.

However, the problem to me is that he still speaks with this person! He told me that it was her idea, and that she said if he didn't have sex with her, she'd tell her parents and his that he raped her. So he claims he was coerced and manipulated into it. So then, my question is, why would he still talk to her? Wouldn't he not be able to stand her if she really coerced him into it? He says it's to keep the peace in the family. No one knows (not his parents, not hers, not anyone), and he says a "family war" would break out if anyone did know. He says a lot of his relatives are old and sick and they could get worse or die from the conflict and the shocking, disturbing news.

But I have a problem with it. I know that if I told him I had been having sex with a cousin or whatever of mine, he'd FLIP if I still talked to them! He doesn't want me to talk to anyone I've ever had sex with or even been on a date with at all. So I don't see why he shouldn't follow his own rules. He still talks to this girl on the phone, takes pictures of her at family events, goes to her kids' birthday parties, hangs out, etc. I think it's sick! He always talked about her just like any other family member, but little did I know the truth. It really freaks me out. I suppose that he is well within his rights to do that if that's what he REALLY wants to do, but I also feel that I am well within my rights to ask that he doesn't do it if he wants to be in a relationship with me, and if he doesn't comply, that I am also well within my rights to leave him.

The whole situation is very awkward and uncomfortable. I am broken hearted over it. I adore him so much and I am devestated to find this news out. What will happen at family functions? His mother is sick and will probably die soon... and this particular cousin happens to be his mother's favorite niece. He will obviously want me at the funeral very much, but I don't think it's fair that I'd have to go through the torture of seeing her and being reminded of this sick situation at the funeral. Or at other people's funerals (which it's inevitable that there will be a lot of, since he has a lot of old, sick relatives) and weddings or whatever other family functions. It's just not normal, and it would be too painful for me. Plus, I know he'd have a hard time if it was the other way around... he has said so.

We have talked about marriage (not for now, but WAY, WAY in the future)... but still, I don't know if I could marry someone who has had a relationship like that and then still sees and talks with the person... and then I'd have to see her at events and whatever else. It's awkward for everyone, I know, but I don't think many women would have an easy time with this (or many men, either). But I am just devestated to find this out because I like him so much! But I mean, really, is it fair that I should have to deal with this crap for the rest of my life if I were to ever get extremely serious with him and have a life together with him? I can't see a future of having to tolerate her phone calls, pictures of her, get togethers with her... I just can't see it. It would break my heart and turn my stomach.

Should I just get rid of this relationship and move on? Try to ask him to see it from my perspective and see how he reacts? Deal with it? What would you guys do?

edited by request Lee

• kristyann
    kristyann

Forget it, I can't get it to post with separate paragraphs. If anyone is willing to read it anyway, or copy and paste it and separate it for me, I'd appreciate it. If someone still will read it, that'd be good, cause I really need the advice!

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I read it - now, this is just my own point of view - but first he is in his 30's. I don't know how close the cousin is - it is illegal in some places to have sex with 1st cousins so that might be something to check on to start with. Second - if he was serious about ending the sexual relationship and the emotional relationship they obviously have, and if he were really that 'sick' about it, then I would suggest he go for some intense counselling to address why and how he got to that point. Remember - you haven't talked about this to her and there may very well be a different side of the story to contend with. Would I have sex with my cousin? Would you? I wouldn't - there are boundaries that we try and set up and my concern would be that he and/or she, couldn't honor those boundaries within the family unit. Would this extend to other family members if opportunity arose? Just a question. Having said all that - there have been cousins that have met and married, had families that all turned out fine and lived happy, productive lives - it might not be that unusual in some cultures even - in mine though, I would ask more questions and get more answers. Love can be tough. sammieswife

• Lumptard
    Lumptard

Yikes.....ummm...my gut says drop him. He was obviously old enough to know better...I don't know how you'd be able to even look at him w/out seeing him with her...*yeesh*..IMO, men are never coerced into sex...if a guy doesn't want to get it on, then he won't...and especially not with his cousin. I wouldn't even think of marrying him, but I'm not you so......there's my two cents. Best of luck.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I edited your first post and deleted the duplicate

I just need to step back from this topic right now

• sinis
    sinis

Many of us have jaded pasts. No one can tell you if you should pursue the relationship or not, only you can decide. It is possible he is confiding in you because he truely loves you and would like to get some demons off his chest. Perhaps he feels extremely guilty or dirty for what he has done and just needs a hearing ear. Regardless, the demons he may have will haunt him forever. I would suggest that you use compasion with him, hear him out and maybe offer comfort in the form of support or suggest that maybe he needs counseling (in a round about way, and offer to go with him). I would not hold it against him that he still talks to his cousin. Perhaps he does it to keep family ties unified and not draw too much attention to other family members by cutting her off and letting others into his/her past. I'm sure he is embarresed, and as I mentioned is confiding with you for support or help or is coming "clean" with you as he might be wanting a future with you and does not want you to hear from other sources about his past. Hope that helps.

• sinis
    sinis

OK, reread your post. I thought you said he has sex with her when he was around 10yo. Anyway, the fact he had sex with her as a grown man does say a few things. I won't judge anyone though. Maybe drugs or alcohol were involved and he lost his inhabition? Since age is a factor as to when this ocurred I might be inclined to ask him in more detail why it happened. I don't know if I would ask her as that might cause problems. I really don't know what to say. If you really love the man I would ask in more details so that you can make a qualified decision.

• sinis
    sinis

Oh, one more thing:

But I have a problem with it. I know that if I told him I had been having sex with a cousin or whatever of mine, he'd FLIP if I still talked to them! He doesn't want me to talk to anyone I've ever had sex with or even been on a date with at all. So I don't see why he shouldn't follow his own rules. He still talks to this girl on the phone, takes pictures of her at family events, goes to her kids' birthday parties, hangs out, etc. I think it's sick! He always talked about her just like any other family member, but little did I know the truth. It really freaks me out. I suppose that he is well within his rights to do that if that's what he REALLY wants to do, but I also feel that I am well within my rights to ask that he doesn't do it if he wants to be in a relationship with me, and if he doesn't comply, that I am also well within my rights to leave him.

The whole situation is very awkward and uncomfortable. I am broken hearted over it. I adore him so much and I am devestated to find this news out. What will happen at family functions? His mother is sick and will probably die soon... and this particular cousin happens to be his mother's favorite niece. He will obviously want me at the funeral very much, but I don't think it's fair that I'd have to go through the torture of seeing her and being reminded of this sick situation at the funeral. Or at other people's funerals (which it's inevitable that there will be a lot of, since he has a lot of old, sick relatives) and weddings or whatever other family functions. It's just not normal, and it would be too painful for me. Plus, I know he'd have a hard time if it was the other way around... he has said so.

These are classic symptoms of a deep rooted jealousy or repression from what he possibly did. Like I said, there seems to be some mental issues with your boy friend. The sex with he cousin is just a part of it. As mentioned previously, if you want to pursue this I would find out as much detail as possible so that you can make a decision and would also encourage both of you, if you decide to pursue it to go to some sort of counseling.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

::the problem to me is that he still speaks with this person! He told me that it was her idea, and that she said if he didn't have sex with her, she'd tell her parents and his that he raped her. So he claims he was coerced and manipulated into it. So then, my question is, why would he still talk to her?

Well first I wonder about this because if he hadn't had sex with her yet, then how could she say he ever raped her (I mean without physical proof). Second I just want to point out that there are places where people only marry thier cousins, not that I think that's a good thing but I did watch a program on it once...

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

I have to say that I think he's lying. I doubt she blackmailed him into it or anything like that. He's lying because he's ashamed. As to whether you should continue with him - well if you are early 20's and he's 10 years older than you........I think you would do better with someone closer to your age. Maybe someone who doesn't even have an Aunt or Uncle with children?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit