What's the purpose of a one day assembly?

by oppgirl63 35 Replies latest jw friends

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    Trouble was at our Circuit Assemblies they always were short of cash. The Accounts brother always had to come on mid-afternoon and tell us we were about £200-300 short to cover costs.

EVERY convention runs "at a deficit." The extra they "need" is enough to meet the quota of how much they are going to send back to the Tower.

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

That one-day deal translates into about $5Million in cash being funneled back to NY when all is said and done using my scientifically inaccurate accounting methods. It also plants the seed for further and more meaningful donations down the road.

Not too far off the mark I bet.

HEY RAF! Is that your picture?

• compound complex
    compound complex

Does anyone remember "Three Day" Circuit Assembly? [circa '60s & '70s for me]

We'd rent an auditorium, for a Friday evening session and all day Saturday and Sunday. Field service---I recall---one or both mornings (?). A friend, in charge of food service, began setting up the portable kitchen at 3:00 p.m. and had a great dinner for us at 6:00 p.m. Evening session---7:30 - 9:30. Full, full weekend was definitely not for slackers. Oh, how we loved the Truth in those Golden Days!

CoCo

• watson
    watson

Yes, I remember the 3 day circuit assemblies. Breakfast and lunch $.35

Baptisms in a watering trough.

Those were the days.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

For the single: good opportunity to dress up and find somebody to date outside your congregation. I can't speak for any other demographic!

The official purpose is of course for encouragement and uplifting association (or we could call it control).

• Gill
    Gill

The purpose of the one day assemblys is to keep the Elderettes in NEW outfits. All elderettes need a regular supply of new outfits to increase their 'power dressing potential'. If that one day assembly that had previously been two, had been dropped as unnecessary, the Elderettes 'wardrobes' would have suffered. Now, they get to still get their shopping spree for assemblys and can donate what they would have spent on the two outfits to the WTBTS!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit