What's the purpose of a one day assembly?

by oppgirl63 35 Replies latest jw friends

• oppgirl63
    oppgirl63

My JW roommate has a one day assembly this coming Sunday. What do they usually do at one day assemblies that they couldn't just do at their regular meeting?

• RAF
    RAF

I don't know what for JW's
    But it have an impact to make the JW's feel that they are much more than what they see in the KH (it helps to believe you are not only a few to believe)

• watson
    watson

Could it be a fundraiser?

• blondie
    blondie

It's another opportunity to be baptized.

There is the "special" privilege of paying for a Bethel speaker and his wife to fly out thinking that they will impart some special Bethel knowledge.

• oppgirl63
    oppgirl63

Thanks for the info...

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yeah I agree with the "makes them feel special" opinion.

• JH
    JH

To make you lose one more day of your life.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

she should count herself lucky it is only one day. It used to be a weekender mindbender when they had two circuit assemblies a year, but they reduced it to one two day and one one day....

and in the days of Mouthy they used to be 6 days long!

• sir82
    sir82

Watson hit the nail on the head.

District Conventions, Circuit Assemblies, and Special Assembly Days exist primarily as fundraisers for the Society. I used to work in various different accounting departments. The amount taken in would astound you! Now multiply "astounding" by hundreds of assemblies & dozens of conventions just in the US....I wouldn't be surprised to learn that half of all their income is from these sources.

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Blondie and Crumpet have it.

Baptism and a 2 day assembly cost cutting exercise.

In the UK we don't usually fly speakers in tho. We're much too tight and besides we signed the Kyoto agreement and acknowledge global warming (That'll get Forscher and Justice One on the thread)

Pub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit