Ron Frye's book on Elder Confidentiality

by Confession 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wednesday
    wednesday

I know you are serious Gregor, b/c I read our posts but, I too know elders, was not even their wife, and often was told of very serious things, committee things. People have to talk to someone.

know Ron and have the greatest admiration of his dedication and ability. I can't believe he would share committee matters with his wife. Was he possibly referring to more general org. matters?

• mouthy
    mouthy

Just finished reading Ron's book ...Must have been a hard life for them both,,,I felt very sorry for Mavis while I was reading it. Having to obey the head of the house made life unbearable for her at times. It must have been hard to write....I cried through some of it .I dont agree with his theology, also dont agree we should attend a Church( I think it is great if you find one you feel comfortable in) But it was worth the days read....What a pity we all had to suffer so by following a false prophet especially after we were all warned before hand if we had read the" book of rules" that came with us .....Of course I had never read that book(Bible) until the Wolf brought it to my door...That is why I think anyone that has been there done that Should write a book, "To the writing of many books there is no end" If they get into a persons hands BEFORE the wolf knocks at our minds.. it is great.
    Just my two cents. I am now sending it to ANOTHER ex curcuit servant..

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

As an elder, I told my wife nothing. I told no one anything really, even elders who weren't in my congregation.

When you consider the fact that much of the Borgs arguement against pedophillia revolves around confidentiality, you have to ask yourself at what point is it all garbage anyway. Some confide about marital problems, masturbation, drinking, watching bad entertainment. Those are personal for the most part. But being confided in things where others are hurt and victims could benefit if they knew, you have to wonder what your responsibility is at that point. Of course, if it ever came out that elders could use their discretion in what they let stay in confidence, no one would confess or tell them things anyway, which would solve a lot of problems wouldn't it?

• cathyk
    cathyk

Just to clarify:

At least a priest in the catholic church, generally speaking, is a priest for life. Also, if a priest tells anything he is usually speaking to another priest. So, a parishioner's secrets may be known to several priests but not necessarily to other parishioners.

If a parishoner reveals something in confession, the priest is bound under pain of automatic excommunication not to reveal what he has heard to any other soul. In fact, a priest will not bring it up even with the person who confessed, unless that person initiates the topic. The priest must even then ask the penitent to if he may discuss it. He may also request to be released from the seal to discuss the problem with a more experienced confessor, etc.

An excommunication incurred by a priest who reveals the content of a confession is revocable only by the Pope:

Can. 1388 ß1 A confessor who directly violates the sacramental seal, incurs a latae sententiae ["automatic" -- CK] excommunication reserved to the Apostolic See; he who does so only indirectly is to be punished according to the gravity of the offence.

Cathy Koenig

www.oldlighthousebooks.com

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit