"I Have a Problem with Shunning"....

by lonelysheep 18 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

That was the first thing out of my mouth to the two women witnesses who came by yesterday to talk to me, their Return Visitâ„¢. I had wanted to talk to them since last Saturday, one of the women came by with a fellow and offered me the magazines. She asked, "Do you think the world will ever be filled with peace?" I immediately replied, "No." It didn't phase her one bit; she went on to say something that Jehovah was going to do about it, which immediately turned my attention span off. This told me she was either born into the witnesses, a die hard dub, or both (which was my opinion). She asked if she could come back and talk to me about this, and I told her, "Sure." I was busy that morning but did want to speak to her. That was after all, what they wanted from me as well.

I kindly explained to her that (and I'll try to remember word for word, here): "The WTS destroys families, and one of the ways this is done is by shunning. I don't understand how you people can come knocking on people's doors knowing this and not telling anyone. When someone doesn't agree with what the WTS teaches, they are shunned, and it's not right. It is simply NOT right!"

Then Sister Ms. C began to say that what I'm talking about "is the practice of disfellowshipping. Disfellowshipping is done out of love, and protects the congregation. Everyone has their rules for the household, right? Jehovah has rules on how to worship him, and people sometimes want to worship him the way they want to rather than the way he wants us to. He is our creator and the creator of the universe. If people don't want to do that, even if it is our loved ones, than they are not loving Jehovah. Look, I have a brother of mine who is disfellowshipped, and I still talk to him."
    She continued on stating the religions he's then gone and joined--Muslim, Baptist and now Pentecostal. I said, "Yes, he's been searching." Statement ignored. She said, "He knows it's not the truth but he goes there due to the singing. But, I still talk to him....if there's something that has to do with the family and legal matters, we speak.
    It's like drugs {yes, she likened this $hit to drugs}, would you allow someone to live with you if they're selling drugs?!"

I said, "No. With that comes guns and violence, etc. But drugs are also illegal! Drugs are dangerous. People can be KILLED when dealing with that environment. Disagreeing with what men teach is not worthy of being ignored and family choosing to no longer be involved in people's lives, here!"

Sister Ms. K said, "Lonelysheep, members are not disfellowshipped without warning. It is a process. They are given a fair notice before being disfellowshittedupon disfellowshipped." By then, the NWT was open and she proceeded to say that "blah blah blah chapter says this..." I told her, "Yes, and the bible also says plenty of other things in there that we ought not do in this society."
    Ms. K then said, "Do you believe the bible is the inspired word of god?"
    "No, I said."
    "Do you believe in god?"
    "No."
    "Okay."

Back to the subject at hand, shunning. I told them, "My stepmother doesn't talk to me anymore and stopped doing so when she realized I wouldn't be going back to meetings. I have friends whose parents don't talk to them, and whose children will not speak to them." Shunning is wrong and destroys families!" That is NOT love. Few other religions practice this, but you are the ones who knock on doors without explaining this. [I didn't know about this when I started studying.]
    Ms. K. said, "Lonelysheep, we are here out of love. We get up early in the morning and come out in the cold because it is for love of Jehovah and people on this earth."
    I replied, "Yes, I believe you." She was sincere, and I felt it worthless to get into the reasons with them as to why people seek rewards from religion.

I said, "Doesn't it make you feel any type of way that people come back to the KH for their families and friends?"
    They both abruptly said,
    "Oh no, Lonelysheep, people don't come back for their families. They do it for themselves. They want to make a change for their own lives and serve Jehovah once again."
    Then, and this is what did me in, Ms. C said that (1) circumstances change in life, and you may change your mind in the future. Ms.K said, "I have a book that explains what the bible says compared to facts of how we got here, and I think you'd be surprised by what it says. I'd like to bring that by in the future. (2) Sorry that I can't remember the name of it right now."
    "Sure, I said. Nothing wrong with knowledge." By then, she knew that if I had to pick something, a theory on how we got here, that it is evolution. I also told her no one knows everything, but I will certainly look to science before religion. I'm done with religion (by that, meaning regardless if I believed in the supernatural or not).

They both thanked me for allowing them inside (it is now cold in NJ).

(1) My life circumstances changed, and that is when I started studying with the jw's. "How pathetic," I thought. Duping people when they are desperate is so pathetic.

(2) Does anyone know what book she could be referring to? Since she forgot the name of the book (there are tons they print from the factory, huh?), I told her she was welcome to bring it to me. I didn't know if it was something I had ever had or not. All of my publications and bible were thrown out when I moved.

Afterward, I felt very aggitated. There are definate points that were made through their speech, and that is: WTS/JW's=Jehovah and Not Argreeing with WTS=Not agreeing/LOVING Jehovah. You know, we realize this conclusion after our minds see the borg for what it is, but seeing it now, objectively even, made me realize just how far gone their thinking is.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Later that day, I re-read a post by Terry that I saved over the summer. Thanks, Terry!

Each of us has choices in life.

We look at our choices and select the ones that better our condition.

Every time we choose we UNchoose the alternative choice. In other words, we give something up.

When people (such as myself) first made our choices about what to believe about God, the bible and morality we were making the best possible, selections and decisions we could make given our level of education, maturity and familiarity with those subjects.

Years pass. You have new experiences. You filter your experiences and new information about your initial knowledge.

If you are intellectually honest you make revisions, updates and amendments in your world view to conform to reality.

At some point in each person's life they face an AWFUL CHOICE. INTEGRITY or COMFORT?

Suddenly we see a cherished belief deflated. Debunked. Challenged by evidence to the contrary.

A new choice is required: "loyalty" to false idea which makes us emotionally reassured or integrity which makes us change our view and go in a new direction. You cannot fake reality. If you try you destroy the rational basis for thinking itself. You decend into a make-believe vision of ideals.

Faith is an opinion with deep emotional roots.

Faith requires us to assume facts not in evidence.

Faith rests on desire. It clings to the shadows of hear-say.

The question becomes this: do we cling to "loyalty" for a false prophet or do we have the morality and integrity to leave even if it means we will be on our own?

Having the rational basis of your mind eroded by obedience to mere opinion is crippling. But, integrity and morality and intellectual honesty demand you abandon a LIE (no matter how beautiful).

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

wow.

i think you did a good job lonelysheep. talking to wits can be emotionally difficult. you did well.

"Lonelysheep, we are here out of love. We get up early in the morning and come out in the cold because it is for love of Jehovah and people on this earth."

i know you said you thought they were sincere. but my opinion is that this is bull$hit. they get up early, and were at your door out of fear. and fear alone.

peace,

tetra

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    they get up early, and were at your door out of fear. and fear alone.

You're right.
    They're sincerely scared and that's it!

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    Disfellowshipping is done out of love, and protects the congregation.

Utter crap. Disfellowshipping destroys it's victims, and is done out of fear. They are afraid to have anyone amongst them who thinks differrently to them, or thinks at all instead of mindlessly following every bit of bs that is spewed out of the gb's mouth. It ensures that those that learn the truth about wts doctrine don't get the opportunity to share it with anyone else, by making a rule that prevents any other jw from talking or listening to them.

You handled them well Lonelysheep. If they come back, keep us updated on how it goes.

• Mary
    Mary
    I said, "Doesn't it make you feel any type of way that people come back to the KH for their families and friends?"
    They both abruptly said,
    "Oh no, Lonelysheep, people don't come back for their families. They do it for themselves. They want to make a change for their own lives and serve Jehovah once again."

Ya right.....Tell that to Gumby. Is this woman really that naive? Apparently so.

Here's something you should print off and show her next time she comes around. It's an excellent breakdown that clearly shows that shunning/DFing JW-Style, is completely unscriptural when analyzed closely:

http://www.xjw.com/shunning.html

• hubert
    hubert

Lonelysheep, check out this thread that I re-posted from "Outaservice". You may want to print this out and have the witnesses read this on their next visit.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/127719/1.ashx

Hubert

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

I so needed to read this thread right now. Thank you lonelysheep.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Thanks Mary & Hubert! Hubert, I read that letter on Friday, and it made me cry. I'll print them both. If I get another visit, it will be the last.

I didn't appreciate being lied to regarding the entire shunning thing in regards to family, especially. They made it seem as if I was talking out of my ass, and what happened to "my friends" and myself were isolated incidents. "DENY, DENY, DENY," I thought.

The guilt trips were not working at all. Thankfully, I am a stronger person now and do not need them to comfort me.

As they were walking out the door, Ms. C said, while wearing that happy kool-aid smile , "Remember, Jehovah loves you, and we love you, and we'll be here!"

((((((SpaZnik)))))))

• agapa37
    agapa37

You're right.
    They're sincerely scared and that's it!

I have to disagree Lonely. I can't say for sure why those witness You encountered were out that day, but from experience with my old Congregation and my own personal reasons, it was not because they or I were afraid.

Your friend

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit