Is the Reasoning Book being studied again?

by penny2 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• penny2
    penny2

The other day I visited some JW relatives and they were busy studying the Reasoning Book in preparation for a meeting. Does anyone know whether they are going through that book in the TMS or Service Meeting?

penny2

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

The book is used as source material for either the #3 or #4 talks on the Theocratic Ministry School.

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously by WTS standards)

• penny2
    penny2

Thanks Alligator Wisdom. Does this mean they are systematically going through the whole book from start to finish?

This would surprise me because the Reasoning Book contains the old thinking on the "generation" (pages 97, 200, 234, 239).

It also includes dishonest reasoning about earthquakes (page 236), referring to data obtained from the National Geophysical Data Center in Boulder, Colorado to try and prove that earthquakes have increased since 1914. The website of this Data Center contains a Caveat, part of which states:

".... using the data in Catalog of Significant Earthquakes, 2150 B.C. to the present to suggest that there has been an increase in worldwide earthquake activity is misleading and erroneous."

penny2

• blondie
    blondie

I do remember them skipping some topics, perhaps 607 and Creation?

km10/05p.4TheocraticMinistrySchoolSchedulefor2006***

SCHEDULE

Jan. 2 Bible reading: 2 Chronicles 29-32 Song 91

SpeechQuality: Benefit Fully From the Theocratic Ministry School (be p. 5 ¶1–p. 8 ¶1)

No.

1: Take Delight in God’s Word (be p. 9 ¶1-5)

No.

2: 2 Chronicles 30:1-12

No.

3: Why Genuine Christians Refrain From Using Profanity

No.

4:Sin’s Effect on Our Relationship With God (rs p. 374 ¶2–p. 375 ¶2)

Jan. 9 Bible reading: 2 Chronicles 33-36 Song 144

SpeechQuality: Accurate Reading (be p. 83 ¶1-5)

No.

1: 2 Chronicles—Why Beneficial (si p. 84 ¶34-6)

No.

2: 2 Chronicles 34:1-11

No.

3: What the Bible Says About the Soul (rs p. 375 ¶4–p. 376 ¶4)

No.

4: Never Be Ashamed of Adhering to the Bible’s Moral Standards

And 2006 ends with:

No. 3: How Do True Christians View the World and People Who Are Part of It? (rs p. 437 ¶3–p. 438 ¶4) (WORLD)

It seems that in 2001 the schedule skipped over the DATES (p. 93) section.

Blondie

• Ticker
    Ticker

607 chronology is confusing for most witnesses so they probably chose to avoid bringing up the whole issue by deleting it from the program. I don't think 607 bce is one of their most stellar predictions. If they could drop it they would probably the easy out.

Ticker

• Justice-One
    Justice-One

No. 3: Why Genuine Christians Refrain From Using Profanity
    I'm a good genuine Christian (Jehovah's Witness to be exact,) I don't drink, smoke, or cuss.....ohh, GOD DAMIT...I must have left my pack of cigarettes at the bar!
  • penny2
    penny2

Thanks Blondie for your research. I had assumed that this 1985 publication would by now be relegated to the redundant part of the library. I guess it's good - every now and then a zealous young JW may come across the old generation reasoning and wonder.

Ticker, I never thought 607 was confusing - in fact I could have explained it to you and had you convinced.

Justice-One, I think it would be best if you left the smokes alone. Drink and cuss all you like but cigarettes give you lung cancer and now you know you're not going to live forever, you should make the most of your current life. That's just what I think anyway.

penny2

• Lumptard
    Lumptard

I don't ever remember studying the reasoning book...hmmm

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym
    Ticker, I never thought 607 was confusing - in fact I could have explained it to you and had you convinced.

I never understood 607. I still don't know where they got that. I've heard it before but it just didn't "click" ... the archeologists's explinations make more sense.

• Ticker
    Ticker

I know this responce is a bit delayed but here goes since I dont frequent this board alot. Penny you would not have me convinced because the whole JW chronology is based on a faulty date. I would still continue to put the historical evidence over some JW doctrinal theory based on a faulty date. But I here you and the average person would be silent with the long drawn explanation presented at their doorsteps. Most people don't care about 587 bce or 607 bce and know not a thing about either date so they would be easy prey for a polished witness presentation.

Ticker

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit