New here so this may be long...

by mandalion 37 Replies latest jw experiences

• mandalion
    mandalion

I wasn't born in the truth. My parents started studying when I was five. We started living all the principals completely when I was nine. I was the dutiful first born: studied with my mom, logged my door-to-door hours, witnessed to all my schoolmates, got baptized at 13. I could preach bible "truths" like most girls can name the members of the current boy bands. I was completely, zealously immersed. Except for one thing.

We lived in a small town where we were the only witness children. "Bad associations spoil useful habits." I can't tell you how often that was drilled into my brain. The problem was, with no one in school with us, and the nearest family a half hour away, the only way we could be social was to be friends with kids at school. My parents understood this and did not discourage our friendships. In fact, they DEFENDED us. In hindsight, I'm so grateful for my parents' decision. It made leaving much easier. After all, those evil people I was told about ended up being far better associations than the people in my congregation.

I left home, joined a local congregation in another state and realized that, like many organizations, it was all about the popular kids. Those that were third or fourth generation were put on a platform. Those like me, who'd left home (a big no-no) were thought to be "questionable". It didn't really matter that the worse thing I'd ever done was sass my mom, whereas those other kids were sleeping around, smoking and drinking. After a while, I got tired of the self-righteous hypocrisy. I just couldn't take it any more. The straw that broke the camel's back was when a "friend" told me that she couldn't associate with me any more because of my lifestyle. (I worked graveyards at Denny's.) I couldn't believe what she was saying. After all, she was having an affair with a man and staying overnight at his house. (Sorry. She'd come home at 4 a.m. so that it couldn't be said she'd spent the night.) And then she spoke to an elder who said he thought I should start a bible study with his wife. People were more worried about appearances than with was actually going on.

I just faded out. Fortunately, my whole family left around the same time I did. Same general reason. My mom's too mouthy. (She actually had an opinion!) The elders counseled my father repeatedly about reining her in. My dad finally told them to take a flying leap. That was that. Unfortunately, the teachings of youth are hard to put behind you.

I had a difficult time with guilt. I felt like I was worth nothing in God's eyes (I actually still believe in God) because I'd fallen out of the truth. I drank. I had friends. I had a boyfriend. To me, it didn't matter that I am a good person, that I believe in being kind to others, that I do a lot for different causes. It didn't matter that I never intentionally hurt someone, that I try not to judge others. All that mattered was I didn't go to the KH so I was going to have endless death with no hope. Great.

The other day I was surfing the internet and came across this site. I was almost afraid to open it. I screwed up my courage and read thread after thread. My eyes opening wider after every account. I realize that I've escaped relatively unscathed. I left when I was 19. Yeah, it screwed up my chances for a scholarship because "you shouldn't go to college". There were things that I didn't understand when I was a child but now look at with new eyes. Archaic principals such as "If you are ever raped, be sure to scream. If you don't, it's not rape." Telling us not to go to marriage counselors or shrinks because they are evil and will mess with our minds. Telling wives of abusive husbands to go back to their husbands and show them the proper respect due to them. These were things that I remember hearing, being told, but it took this forum for me to look at them as a woman, not a child. I can't help but wonder what the hell my parents were thinking.

I was shocked and surprised by how many people are on this site. Besides my family, I'd only met three other people who were former JW's. I thought that I was weak and unworthy. I didn't realize that there were more people out there who'd had the same realizations I had. Reading their accounts has been cathartic. It's opened me up and reminded me of the insanity. It has at times been a trip down memory lane. I'd forgotten about the apostates protesting the conventions, the inability to ask questions at meetings, the thought that everyone knew we were witnesses and so we must be on our best behaviour, the reviews, the pressure to be perfect witnesses, the lingo.

My husband's worried that I'm becoming obsessed. I'm not really. It's more along the lines that every story I read, every experience, makes me see more clearly. The scales are falling from my eyes and with them, a weight is lifting from my shoulders and I realize what a good choice I made all those years ago.

Wow. That was long. Sorry.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Welcome M...Dont say your sorry for the post It is music to our ears & eyes to see another escaped from bondage. Isnt it great to be on a site were we love UNconditionlly!!!!! I was happy to read that you still believe in GOD. So many leave & because they have been so burned -they blame God...But we were all warned to listen not to false Prohets....but we did . I am the Granny on board & your gonna make my sleep more pleasent tonight to know your FREE!!!!!! Love to see ya!!!!

Mouthy/Grammy/ Grace

http://exwitnessgrace.homestead.com/free.html

• Jringe01
    Jringe01

Your story wasn't long luv, it was moving and wonderfully written.

Welcome to the board.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Hey, don't apologize! Your story is worth as much as anyone else's.

You know, I read many introduction stories, but the problems are the same, no matter where you go. Sad, really.

I was almost afraid to open it. I screwed up my courage and read thread after thread.

That reminds me of when I came here. I had to work up the nerve to join. I'm so glad I did, and I know you will be too. Thanks for sharing your story, and welcome to the board, Mandalion.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Welcome to JWD!

We're glad you found us, too.

When first finding this site, so many of us became so engrossed in reading others stories that we spent hours and hours and hours reading. I stayed up until 4 and 5 in the morning for 3 days straight. Shocked at what I was learning. And I was already a walk-away believer - inactive for about 13 years.

There is a unique experiece that we all have and - after you get over the fright of talking to nasty Apostates - you will probably find that you have found people that really, really understand and care about you. It feels like home.

I know this is just your first post, but you might consider meeting some people in real life. It was nearly a year after joining this site that I finally met some. Most of us are even better in person...~!!

Don't know where in California you are, but there are some good meet-ups in Southern California.

Think about it.

Welcome again.

-Aude Sapere (meaning: Dare to Know; Dare to Have Wisdom/Understanding)

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

"My husband's worried that I'm becoming obsessed. I'm not really. It's more along the lines that every story I read, every experience, makes me see more clearly. "

Hi mandalion, great to see you here!

The same thing happened with me. Like Aude, I sat up for all hours studying the evil apostate sites
    My wife was very uncomfortable with that. I avalanched her with stuff that I was learning. I was like the antitype of someone who had just learned the 'truth'!

Spot you later,
    Pete

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Welcome mandalion!

Glad you found us and I enjoyed reading your story. I know exactly how you felt I too was so surprised at the number of X-JW's who felt and experienced the same things I did, it sure validated my thoughts and feelings to see this.

The scales are falling from my eyes and with them, a weight is lifting from my shoulders and I realize what a good choice I made all those years ago.

Very well said!

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Hello and WELCOME!!!

As for the obsession... this too shall pass... (hahahaha... I think...?) It really is just an important phase in your healing process.

We're glad you're here!

Baba

• onlycurious
    onlycurious

Wow, your story is very moving and you can be sure your testimony will be used to free many others who are still trapped in this cult.

You will meet many wonderful people here on this site and receive a lot of helpful hugs when you need them.

I am glad you have not lost faith in God altogether. Manmade religion is vastly different from how God intended it to be. Sometimes we can get caught in the middle of the madness and it certainly isn't His fault.

Blessings to you and welcome to the board.

• deeskis
    deeskis

Welcome and I'm glad you shared your story.

I was faded over 20 years when I found this site and had a similar reaction to you, Aud, and many others here. I was literaly shaking as I read different stories. It's that sense of wonderment that I was not the only one...............I had sort of felt that It was my shortcoming, even though I did not feel it was the truth, I still felt that it was pretty close.

My husband's worried that I'm becoming obsessed. I'm not really

hmmm, my husband has said that too, I think I am really, but It's a good obsession!

Best wishes

D

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit