Deep River CT?

by new light 10 Replies latest jw friends

• new light
    new light

Anybody here attend the Deep River, CT or nearby congregations in the 1980s/90s?

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I took in a meeting there once with two of my friends. This was way back before I got married the first time, so probably in the early 1970's. We stood around for a few minutes after the meeting, but when nobody said hello, or even looked at us, we decided to take off. Never went back again, either...

• troucul
    troucul

I'm sure my pops gave a sunday talk there back then.

• new light
    new light

Neon Madman-- There's a reason some called the place "Dead River".

Trocul-- Care to drop any names?

• IronClaw
    IronClaw

I attended the East Haven/ Branford/ New Haven area halls in the 70's and 80's. I Remember a family that moved from the East Haven Hall and settled in Deep River. Their name was Vicstrom.

The Claw.

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

I had been in the Deep River and Westbrook Ct. congregations. I knew the Vickstroms. Were you there then?

• new light
    new light

Vickstrom was the P.O. of Deep River throughout my entire sentence. I do remember his son moved here from East Haven/Branford in the mid 80s. He's still an elder there as far as I know. By the way, Deep River sold their KH to the local fire/ambulance dept. and then donated most or all of the money to the society. As of 2 years ago, they were still shacking up with Westbrook. Amazing that to get their own hall again, they'll probably borrow their own money back from the Society, with interest.

• IronClaw
    IronClaw

I was in the East Haven hall at the time. I remember his son Todd. I lost contact with them when they moved to Deep River. I am now living in Upstate New York.

The Claw.

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

Deep River will never get its own hall again. There is like 40 people there and property and the cost to build in Ct. is way out of their price range. BTW the elder who suggested selling was banging a married pioneer sister at the time. Both were DFed and then got married. So much for decisions being guided by Holy Spirit.

Alot of Deep River people were pissed becuause they had given alot of money toward puchasing a new hall, money that the WTS also kept. There were some heated discussions during the service meetings abouit all of this.

They share with Westbrook and were told by the society that would never change. Some drive pretty far to get there.

Imagine, given what we know about the WTS's legal troubles you could say they sold their hall so the WTS could defend itself in court.

• new light
    new light

The elder that was banging the married sister was one of the "gifts in men" that DF'd me at 16 for a similar offense. What a guy.

Man, what I wouldn't give to be at those service meetings. Were things really that heated? This is the first I've heard of this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit