What do you think of this?

by mrsjones5 22 Replies latest jw friends

• monkeyshine
    monkeyshine

It could be the shapes on the maps and buildings that are sucking him in. Try showing him a pic of the Pyramids or Greek ruins.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

How about getting a scrapbook for him to stick all the pics in or helping him to make a big collage of the US/flag/statue out of all the small pics - and he could put it on his bedroom wall maybe?

That's a good idea Emo. I could print some pics off the net and tape them to the wall next to his bed. I think he would really like that. And the scrapbook idea is a good one too. We first noticed the map thing when he was 2 and he had found a big 2'x3' floor puzzle we had of the US and it's progress from there (a few state puzzles later). The Statue of Liberty fixation just started around the start of the school year. I don't know how it started but that's his woman now. He actually kissed a picture of it today.

Oh and I hate Sponge Bob.

Josie

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

Mrs Jones, this is one persons explanation of why she loves maps.

"I've never stopped loving maps. I think in maps, and when I think of people, I think of them in their place on a map in my head. That's how I catagorize people, I guess, even people who live two blocks over from me. If someone lives halfway round the world, then I think of them in an area of the globe. If I don't know someone's place, I can't put them in that concerete spot that makes them real to me, so they remain a little like a disembodied spirit in my mind."

everydaymusings.blogspot.com/2004/10/for-love-of-maps_22.html - 36k -

I think the maps in Nat. Geo. are pretty cool. Probably lots of old ones in second hand stores.

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

"I don't know how it started but that's his woman now. He actually kissed a picture of it today."

That's too cute. If there's a teacher supply store in your town, you might want to see what they have to offer in the preK section.

• free2beme
    free2beme

I think he sounds like a smart kid and likes to learn and take an interest in things. Feed the desire, it is a good one. Although, he has not been saying he talked to a man named Osama, has he and there are no collect calls from Afghanistan or anything.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Josie -

How about a book with all the worlds flags and maps? That should keep him interested and teach him a little geography or world politics as you go perhaps. Here's a website too!

Jeff

worldatlas.com

• stealyourface
    stealyourface

You have lots of good sugestions for fostering his interest in geography, when he gets a little older, he could parlay that interest into a scholarship!

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

I think it's great.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Does he know the background of the Statue of Liberty? If not, you could do a little research and present him with it. By all means, encourage his interests.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Thanks everyone for your replies. Last night I googled a picture of the Statue of Liberty and showed it to Joshua. The smile on his face was beautiful. We're going to print a copy for him, hubby is thinking about making it poster size. It's so funny, the things that kids choose to be fond of.

Josie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit