why would she need my ssn?

by BlackSwan of Memphis 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

thx Juni!

And ddman, I appreciate the post. Ya never know what people might want with your ssn. I mean, I know she's my mother, but ya still never know! I'm glad that I have gotten such positive feedback. I feel better about this tonight.

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

http://www.cpsr.org/issues/privacy/ssn-faq/

I'm definately not an expert, but my parents have my ssn, I kind of wish they didn't but they do... and I think most parents do, in fact I'm not sure why yours doesn't.

LtCmd.Lore

• moanzy
    moanzy

My mother-in-law just filed for her CPP for retirement and she required all her children's SIN # so that she could collect extra money. This had to do with staying at home to raise her

children during certain years.

Moanzy

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

If someone names you as a beneficiary, they usually need your social security number.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Yes, as several have said already, one must list SSN of beneficiaries of retirement plans and those sorts of accounts.

Baba.

• free2beme
    free2beme

She does not need it. Do not give your SSN to anyone when you are uncomfortable.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

My mother too called asking for my SSN to enable her to extra reimbursement from the government for retirement funds. Don't suspect anything sinister unless you consider your mother to be untrustworthy.

If she has a legitimate reason, I'm sure she'd be forthcoming with it.

• R6Laser
    R6Laser

SSN are needed in some cases. I know I needed my mom's SSN to fill out my beneficiary information for my investment, life insurance accounts or such. So I would think that this would be the case. But if you don't feel like giving your SSN to your mom then don't. And how about asking her why she needs it, then you won't have to be so paranoid.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

There are instances of family members committing identity theft against another member of their family so I can see the hesitation in providing a number if you have reason to believe somebody is "tricky".

However, they DO need your SSN to put your name on any account and you are ENTITLED to a copy of this - whether it is a CD, or beneficiary form, etc. GET A COPY. You will need it so that you will know what financial institution to contact when the time comes.

Ask questions of her such as what financial institution, etc. and you want a copy, etc..... She should have no problem if her intentions are good.

LHG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit