why would she need my ssn?

by BlackSwan of Memphis 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Ok, well, mom called.

She left a message. My cphone got saturated with chocolate milk and the screen is no longer working, and the battery is not charging right. (Blame it on the kids) So I didn't know she had called. I just happened to hear my phone ring (a different call) and checked the voice mail and she was on there.

She didn't ask how Hannah was, or Jun, she started by saying she needs my ssn as she is getting her affairs in order for all of us kids. She said that I didn't have to if I didn't want to. Towards the end she said she hopes the kids are doing good. Then I hung up.

I do know that I am on a couple of her bank accounts (in case of emergency). Other then that I don't know.

I had my husband drop off a note in her door that gave it to her and gave her a glimpse of what has happened recently, but that since we haven't heard from them, we just decided to let it go. I wished her and the family the best (why I dunno). That's that.

My husband seems to think that she shouldn't need my ssn to take my name off her accounts.

Does anyone have any clue what might be up her sleeve?

Ugh, I get so tired of this sort of s%.

• Scully
    Scully

She doesn't need your SSN.

I wouldn't give my number (we call it a SIN in Canada - Social Insurance Number) to my mom under any circumstances.

Considering all the strife JWs cause in our lives, I would decline to disclose that information for a vague reason like "getting affairs in order". For all anyone knows, that could mean "I'm broke and need to steal your identity so I can buy stuff on a credit card in your name."

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

She wouldn't need an SSN to remove your name from anything, only to add it, like as a beneficiary on her 401k.

• under_believer
    under_believer

Just one possibility, this isn't necessarily sinister. Just a couple of weeks ago I filled out a beneficiary form for my life insurance policy and it had fields on it for each beneficiary's SSN.

I mean, for heaven's sake just ask why she needs it. Then you can stop wondering. If she won't tell you, then she's probably up to something and you don't give it to her.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

My Mom has all her kids ssn's.

She was the one that applied for them all.

I have my kids ssn's......I dont know why she needed it, but it would not be unusual for a mum to have it anyway.

purps

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

My mom got my kids numbers to put in trust for them. I have all my kids numbers and will be needing them until they are out of college at least-longer if something bad happens and I need to do things for their kids someday. . .if she is generally not a rat fink, it is probably safe enough to give a mom a SSN. Even a JW mom-unless she is of the psycho variety that you need to worry about. My mom is a lot of things, but I wouldn't worry about her with my SSN. Heck, she can't even remember my legal name(and she gave it to me!), so I don't think she is too dangerous:)

• garybuss
    garybuss

If my mother asked for my ssn, I'd have my attorney call her the next day. If her reason is illegal, then I want my attorney to know. If her reason is legal, then it's my attorney's job to deal with my legal affairs. That's his only job.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Wow, thank you for the responses. I really appreciate them.

Scully: Yeah, see this is what I was wondering. These numbers can do a lot of damage when they are in teh wrong hands!

Hemp, Purps, UB and JWDaughter: You guys really echoed what my husbands thoughts are for the most part.

Underbeliever: The reason I wouldn't ask her, is pretty simple. I feel like she has burned me a lot in the last few years. The less direct communication I have with her, the better.

Gary: Well, I don have no stinkin' lawyer. Unless my dog counts If I DID have a lawyer, that is probably the route I would take!

Thank you guys for the posts, you helped me get a better idea of whats up.

• juni
    juni

I sent you a PM Black Swan.

Juni :)

• ddman
    ddman

Getting a SSN for finalizing affairs is no big deal. I work with this stuff daily. Previous threads are correct, 401k, life insurance, and any account with a beneficiary would ask for a SSN. This is the easiest way for any financial institution to identify you and if needed track you down. If all they had was name and birthday they couldn't identify you as easy. Think of how many John Smith's there are.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit