January 14, 2007; the most bizarre comments I have ever heard at a Hall

by MinisterAmos 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

Most of you have already scoped out the WT lesson for yesterday that Blondie provided, but I'm going to add to it a bit and share the audience comments for the meeting.

I'm also going to share some direct-from-the-GB "new-light" that was revealed by the speaker in his discussion.....READY?

So the wife and I are on vacation yesterday and visit a congregation located in Western FL or East AL; FloriBama as the natives call it.

The speaker began by telling us that the "Happy God" isn't really happy because of the state of the world. I forgot to ask him where that fact is found in the Bible. He then went on to tell us that Billy Graham said on the Johnny Carson show that the JWs are the only religion that follows the Bible and that he wanted to be one of them but that it was "too hard". Anyone else catch that episode? For that matter why would a speaker even give due to a member of false religion?

Next we hit the topic and it described the four reasons why JWs "lose their joy." He started by stating that all who have the spirit of Jehovah with them are happy, and that if you are unhappy, it proves you are bad association because you do not have the spirit. Those who have suffered a recent loss (note recent, you are not permitted to grieve for too long) like a death in the CLOSE family or a D/A in the family (proving that death and DA are equal to these freaks) are exempt and can still have the spirit while being unhappy. I forgot to ask where that is found in the bible.

Reason #1

Indifference with the message. Speaker reiterated the importance of distributing the message D2D and said that even though it might be a little boring that we must do it because "it helps the angels." So you didn't know that ANGELS are taking little angel notes about the reactions of homeowners to the message? Did you know that angels even take notes when a HO does not open the door or tells the JWs "I'm too busy right now?" Apparantly rather than the old light of applying the promise of eternal light to those who have HEARD and accepted/rejected the message, the JWs are now including people who either do not open the door when they knock (HBH or home but hiding on the territory card) or who are constantly not at home to hear it. I would have asked where in the bible I could read more about these note-taking angels, but he started this fable with the notice that he heard it from a GB member at morning prayer at Bethel. No doubting permitted on this new-light kids!

Continuing reason 1 we should be aware that the D2D really works because of the number of baptisms!? Even the dumbest JW knows that the only new converts are coming from already JW families and that the only real growth is in foreign language congoes. People want to be JWs because "they are discouraged by pedopilia, political involvement and the waste of funds" in false religion.

Reason #2 (all direct quotes)

Don't let personalities affect you. Even though an Elder might upset you with bis attitude during a shep. call OBEY HIM! John 6:48

If you leave where will you go? (This is becoming a favorite of theirs)

If you have a problem with a Bro and change congoes because of it, then you are serving the Debbil (Col 3:12)

You have the right to complain about an Elder to the CO, and he has the right to tell you he will wait for a perfect one to appear before he replaces the bad one.

Reason #3

Persecution

"If you are being persecuted then you are doing something right" 1Peter3 (This was my next-to fave of the day)

Reason #4

Material things

the ususal

The Study "What it means to Love Our Neighbor" produced a few puke inducing comments from the crowd.

First, no matter HOW MANY TIMES they study the parable of "The Good Samaritan" the Dubs can't seem to figure out that the Jews in the story represent the chosen of god, and the Samaritans represent apostates, sworn enemies of the Jews. In the parable it is the APOSTATE that comes to the rescue of god's chosen which should pretty much erase any idea that apostates are evil; Jesus told the tale for a reason.

So what did the audience get out of it? (exact quotes, how does the last one tie in with the parable?)

"Oh if my (non-JW) neighbor is sick I could bring her some food but of course I'd never eat with her"

"We have to avoid speaking to the Brothers who are weak in the faith and never eat with them" (Not talking about DF'ed)

"We saw an example of the good samaritan after the hurricane when JW's from all parts came to help us, my neighbors wanted them to come help them their house but the brothers are not for hire, they only help their brothers in the faith"

Peace Out and Thanks Blondie!

• Gopher
    Gopher

Amos, I heard a different version of the Billy Graham on Johnny Carson/Tonight Show story.

Jane Fonda was a guest following Billy Graham. Supposedly, after she sat down she looked at Billy Graham and asked him "How's old Babylon the Great doing?" He then said, "How would you know about Babylon the Great?" Her reply was something like: "I studied with Jehovah's Witnesses, and think they're right. However I cannot live up to their standards."

At least this is how I heard it here in Minnesota.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    You have the right to complain about an Elder to the CO, and he has the right to tell you he will wait for a perfect one to appear before he replaces the bad one.

I have heard this before...............In other words...........F#$& OFF.

purps

• Gopher
    Gopher

Amos,

It sounds like the earlier part of your post referred to a public talk "Serve Jehovah With a Joyful Heart". I gave that talk more than any other. (I was only a lowly ministerial servant, but had the 'privilege' to give this talk a few times.)

The first part about Jehovah being happy -- the speaker added a comment about Jehovah being unhappy with the way things are in the world. That point is not in the outline. The outline says to emphasize that Jehovah is happy because he is always giving of himself.

Then as to the reasons for unhappiness, most of them are brought about by the organization itself. Indifference towards the message is common because the message JW's are taught to bring is so negative (Armageddon is near) and self-centered (but you can survive if you become just like us), that people don't want to hear it. People are also aware (to some degree) that there are many problems in the WT organization. And this mythology that guardian angels are helping along in the literature-spreading work must only be really believed by the most-dyed-in-the-wool JW's.

Don't let personalities affect you!! Just keep going to the Kingdom Hall like good little sheep, and keep your place!! And this next quote smacks of such uncaring arrogance: "You have the right to complain about an Elder to the CO, and he has the right to tell you he will wait for a perfect one to appear before he replaces the bad one." Is it unreasonable to expect a good attitude? The elder giving this talk smacks you down by saying, in effect, just shut up!

Persecution - is obviously brought upon individual JW's by their mother organization. Just look at that in-your-face tract they distributed as widely as possible "The End of False Religion is Near".

And finally, a continuation of their attack on that terrible enemy 'materialism'. In other words, unless you're an elder who runs a really good business that employs a bunch of poorer JW's, you ought to just forget about reasonable steps to help yourself materially. You should just stay as poor as you can stand to, keep running on the Watchtower treadmill, and live for the New World where Jehovah will then give you everything you want!!!!

• abbagail
    abbagail

[...]
    "We have to avoid speaking to the Brothers who are weak in the faith and never eat with them" (Not talking about DF'ed)
    [...]

THAT IS SO BAD and FLIES IN THE FACE OF TONS OF SCRIPTURES... I would love to have been sitting there with computer and printer... I would have zapped out the below list of scriptures and walked them up to the platform and shoved them in the speaker's face...

1 Cor 1:27 - "But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has CHOSEN THE WEAK THINGS of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty..."

1 Cor 2:3 - "I [Paul] was with you IN WEAKNESS, in fear, and in much trembling."

1 Cor 4:10 - "We [are] fools for Christ's sake, but you [are] wise in Christ! WE [are] WEAK, but you [are] strong! You [are] distinguished, but we [are] dishonored!"

1 Cor 8:9 - "BUT BEWARE lest somehow this LIBERTY OF YOURS become a STUMBLING BLOCK to those who are WEAK."

1 Cor 8:11 - "And because of your knowledge SHALL THE WEAK BROTHER PERISH, FOR WHOM CHRIST DIED?"

1 Cor 9:22 - ..."TO THE WEAK I BECAME AS WEAK, that I might WIN THE WEAK. I have become all things to all [men,] that I might by all means save some."

1 Cor 12:22 - "No, much rather, those members of the body which SEEM TO BE WEAKER ARE NECESSARY."

2 Cor 11:29 - "WHO IS WEAK, and I AM NOT WEAK? Who is MADE TO STUMBLE, and I do not burn with indignation?"

2 Cor 12:9,10 - "And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for MY STRENGTH IS MADE PERFECT IN WEAKNESS. Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in INFIRMITIES, in REPROACHES, in NEEDS, in PERSECUTIONS, in DISTRESSES, for Christ's sake. For WHEN I AM WEAK, then I am strong."

2 Cor 13:4 - "For though HE WAS CRUCIFIED IN WEAKNESS, yet He lives by the power of God. For we also are WEAK IN HIM, but we shall live with Him by the power of God toward you."

2 Cor 13:9 - "For we are GLAD WHEN WE ARE WEAK and you are strong. And this also we pray, that you may be made complete."

1 Thess 5:14 - "Now we exhort you, brethren, warn those who are unruly, comfort the fainthearted, UPHOLD THE WEAK, be patient with all."

Hebrews 4:15 - "For we do not have a High Priest who cannot SYMPATHIZE WITH OUR WEAKNESSES, but was in all [points] tempted as [we are, yet] without sin."

Hebrews 11:34 - "...quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, OUT OF WEAKNESS WERE MADE STRONG, became valiant in battle, turned to flight the armies of the aliens."

1 Cor 15:43 - "It is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory. It is SOWN IN WEAKNESS, it is raised in power."

Romans 15:1 - "We who are strong OUGHT TO BEAR with the FAILINGS OF THE WEAK, and NOT to please ourselves..."

Acts 20:35 - "I have shown you in every way, by laboring like this, that YOU MUST SUPPORT THE WEAK. And remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.' "

Romans 14:1 - "Receive one WHO IS WEAK IN THE FATH, [but] not to disputes over doubtful things."

Romans 8:26 - Likewise the SPIRIT ALSO HELPS WITH OUR WEAKNESSES. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered."

Need THE LORD SAY MORE???
    Grrrrr.
    /ag

• Fleshybirdfodder
    Fleshybirdfodder

I've also heard the Billy Graham thing, but this version had him on a plane sitting next to a Witness. He noticed she was reading a Watchtower and said, "I know you have the truth, but I couldn't give up all this..."

Funny how Witness urban legends get around.

FBF

• Mary
    Mary
    He then went on to tell us that Billy Graham said on the Johnny Carson show that the JWs are the only religion that follows the Bible and that he wanted to be one of them but that it was "too hard". Anyone else catch that episode?

Gee, I think that was on the same night that John Denver was on Jay Leno. You know, where Jay Leno asked John Denver if it was true he hated Witnesses and when he said he did, then Jay Leno ordered him off the show? (not sure if that's a local legend or just how widespread it but an elder told me that one about 15 years ago).

First, no matter HOW MANY TIMES they study the parable of "The Good Samaritan" the Dubs can't seem to figure out that the Jews in the story represent the chosen of god, and the Samaritans represent apostates, sworn enemies of the Jews. In the parable it is the APOSTATE that comes to the rescue of god's chosen which should pretty much erase any idea that apostates are evil; Jesus told the tale for a reason.

Exactly. They leap over this parable in a single bound whenever it comes up, because they know full well that they resemble the Jews who ignore their own, even when in need.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

This is the kind of public talk, with some brother throwing in these incredibly ignorant comments and personal opinions, that used to make some of the friends so pissed off they almost sizzled! I can hear the comments on the way home in the car now!

S4

• frozen one
    frozen one

Jane Fonda was a guest following Billy Graham.

I heard the same story but I think the celeb was Nancy Sinatra.

• icocer
    icocer

Bookmarking for further review.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit