No good deed goes unpunished

by twinkletoes 19 Replies latest jw friends

• twinkletoes
    twinkletoes

The last congregation we were at, decided to invite a neighbouring congregation to their territory to help them with the field service.

The elders asked my husband, if we would host the BBQ for the brothers and sisters after the ministry, as we have a large garden. We were told not to worry about the amounts of food, as everyone from the other congregation would bring something. Not even a bag of crisps arrived. Fortunately we have 2 large freezers!

Over 100 bro./sisters arrived, we thought it went O.K. (that was on the Saturday), on the Monday we received an anonymous letter saying that we had stumbled all the brothers in this visiting congregation.

Keeping this story short, we found out that this brother (MS) was a vegetarian and was stumbled at the bbq food on the menu, (meat as well as veggy) (my wife and son are veggy also)

No "thank you" for looking after this amount of people, Just a complaint!!!

Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?

Twinkletoes and Kaytee

• jgnat
    jgnat

There's lots of foolish people in this world. That's all I can say. I know the event is long over, but at the time I'd be tempted to send a bill to the guest congregation for the vegetables served.

• lawrence
    lawrence

I agree with jgnat - send an itemized bill including food, beverages, use of the toilet (s), and after party general house cleaning, yard tidying, and carpet stain removal. Payment in 7 days - 2% off; note due in 30 days, or legal proceedings will begin.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

What's really sad is that none of this story surprises me. JWs are the most ill mannered people I've ever known. Don't be surprised if half the circuit trash talks you for the next 6 months.

W

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

How the hell can you stumble a vegetarian, if you have a wife and child who are?

You would seem to have quite a bit of practice at this, no?

***shaking my head***

• bernadette
    bernadette

I've tried to make sense of this, twinklytoes - all i can say is that the cognitive dissonance dosen't just extend to beliefs but also to fellow feeling. Insanity

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Tell him "you're welcome" and to read 1 Cor ch 10, Luje 17:17 "Where are the other nine"? Jesus said

abr

• Quandry
    Quandry

I know you are trying to make a long story short, but I don't get it. How were the people stumbled? Did you serve BBQ vegetables but no meat? Did anyone bring meat to BBQ? Was the MS stumbled because there was meat present at the get-together? Maybe I don't understand UK BBQs. In the US, especially Texas, if you say there will be a BBQ, you take it for granted that large quantities of beef and maybe some chicken will be on a grill, with plenty of BBQ sauce at the ready.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Maybe twinkletoes and Kaytee were the main menu for this BBQ.

They're the ones that got roasted.

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

My heart aches for you! I know many who always complained but never put themselves out for others. They always thought everyone else should be perfect and cater to them. Very sad.

We were never asked to host a gathering (party) but we tried to start a tradition at our congregation. We would invite the friends over, everyone bring a passing dish, and we would supply many other items. It usually cost us about $200.00. That is ALOT for a small family with babies and many financial pressures. It was a lot of hard work, but there was never any time to socialize and we felt a real need to try. We wanted a little traditional thing for our kids to look forward to every year, seeing how they couldn't look forward to christmas, birthdays, etc.

The first time I don't think any elders but one showed up. There was a fantasy football game they were playing. The next year, after much planning and organizing, the circuit overseer had called a meeting for all the elders in the circuit on short notice. So no elders again until after the meeting 2 showed up for about an hour.

We did this for 3 years. I think I only recieved 2 thank you notes and one was from my mother. We were NEVER invited to anyone's house for dinner or anything. We really tried to reach out but mostly got burned. Sorry you had it worse, I feel so bad you had to supply all the food and lose your items from your freezer. It breaks my heart. You and your husband did a good deed and tried your best. You can be proud of yourselves that you did, any other group would have taken up a donation to cover the expenses and not trample upon your hospitality.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit