What really made you exit the Jw's

by KAYTEE 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Paisley
    Paisley

Spectre

I was going to kill myself from loneliness, boredom of life and the boredom of the repetition of the meetings. I went to every meeting from when I was 5 up til I was 26 and after that long with nothing ever happening, I had to get out. At the time I was thinking that it was the "truth" but I was conflicted in that it really wasn't for everyone. There are different types of people all being put into the same cookie cutter mold and I couldn't take it anymore.

Very understandable! I can totally relate. It was such an unnatural environment, with so much suppression and contradiction! I'm glad you decided to leave it behind. How did your parents take your decision, if you don't mind saying. :)

• luna2
    luna2

I was finding it harder and harder to do all the dull, repetitive things we were required to do. The meetings had long been boring and devoid of anything interesting...I'd heard it all a million times it seemed. Plus it was very difficult working a full time job and trying to make all the meetings, let alone service.

When the 1914 generation change came along, I was really disillusioned and confused. I hung around for another five years but my heart wasn't really in it any more.

I finally started noticing that the Watchtower more and more seemed to hint at what they wanted us peons to do but then back away from it in later paragraphs. It became obvious that they were covering their asses and giving themselves a way out if the stupid R & F followed their strictures and then had problems or if governments didn't approve of a certain stance (like the blood issue). They could claim that it wasn't them...that anything a JW did was an individual decision and not based or direction from the WTS. Rather dishonest and disingenuous, I thought.

I'd also experienced the truth of trying to bring up two kids in this religion. I found that strictly adhering to the advice in the Watchtower or from the platform had created nothing but problems. When my sons got in trouble, there was little support. I discovered first hand how putting restrictions on them and marking them as bad associates did nothing to help the situation. They felt completely isolated...they weren't supposed to hang with "worldly" kids, but few of the witness kids wanted to treat them as friends either. Now, how is that supposed to make young people want to get baptised exactly? It was stupid and cruel. It also made me see what a poor idea disfellowshipping was. It wasn't about personal spiritual growth and maturity, it was about forcing people to comply with the group.

When I started fading, it wasn't a conscious decision. I didn't plan to leave the JWs exactly, I just didn't have the heart to keep on trying. I was in a depression so vast that I had to make a change. It had nothing to do with the internet or "apostates" ...I was just dissatisfied, unhappy and I knew something was wrong.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

(Out)growing is a good notion indeed.

I met a number of JWs (especially at Bethel) who were way more critical of the organisation than I ever was -- and they are still in (or died in).

In my case months of reading (non-JW and non-religious literature), learning (Biblical languages), talking (freely) with a handful of close JW friends were involved. But were it only for that I could have remained a JW.

Looking back I think one very intimate moment (which apparently had little to do with all of this) was decisive:

As one very close friend of mine, with whom I had shared a somewhat unique experience of mutual understanding, was leaving Bethel, I suddenly realised how empty and meaningless my life would henceforth be. By "realised," I don't mean I was just afraid it might be so. I knew it would. Living on as I had previously been doing was simply unbearable. But as many in such state (whatever the reasons) I found a small secret door in the back of despair: shift from "living" to "watching". I had lost all interest in my particular part in the JW play (and the accompanying desires and fears) but I could still watch, with mild curiosity and a zest of desperate irony, what would happen next -- minute after minute. A very strange feeling of freedom and joy immediately followed this realisation.

Looking back, I think this very unremarkable "event" -- it happened as I was descending a flight of stairs in Bethel -- made me able to do what I had not been able to do so far. Breaking the circle on a tangential line. Allowing myself to act on what I believed -- and then to believe and think further -- and letting the rest fall behind, step by step. This attitude led me, with gradually increasing consciousness, out of Bethel and the WT within a few months. And through the rest of "life".

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

They kicked me out. I didn't leave or disagree with anything they said. My resolve to stay away from them, came from being shunned by people I thought were my freinds and the injustice of the elders who supposedly have holy spirit guiding thier decisions. Over the years, in my abscence I was able to see the hypocrasy and errors in doctrine. If not for my own outrageous defiance as a teenager and stubborness I might still be a witness today. I soon came to see that they are no different than anyone in the world. Even worse,because they do the same things but put on an air of riteousness about it. I'm still not sure how many of my veiws are still rooted in the way I was raised. But I know I will never return.

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Q.What really made you exit the Jehovah's Witnesses?

A.The United Nations scandle was the last nail in
    the coffin for me. However, the first was that I
    was starting to think and grow on my own.

This is not the whole story, but just to give
    you a small sample of what started it.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• zagor
    zagor

-> Them thaking me out of university when I was 18 and young enough to do so many things and having to reenroll at 27 again

->Almost losing my head because of their you-are-on-you-own (not ones but a number of times, long story)

->Failed marriage because of their "well-meaning adivces"

->Finally realizing I was believing in a mirage, a smoke screen

-> Heck not to mention this, when I was in a war zone trying to save my head I almost didn't accept help from the UN forces because thinking that would be a wrong thing to do for a good J-Dub. While in that same year they themselves joined UN, and have actually already been members for several months. How about that one, that one just gets my blood boiling.

Anyway, take your pick

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

It wasn't a really big issue for me, just several relatively minor incidents that made me wonder if it was really the truth, and start to seriously investigate my beliefs without the aid of wts publications. That led to more doubts, and I decided to read Crisis of Conscience. Once I'd done that, I knew the jws weren't the real deal, so I left them.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I could come up with several reasons but I think I just simply got tired.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

The realisation that Jesus was portrayed as being worshiped, in the bible, but that such a practice had been withheld from me. It was as simple as that - it didn't get as complicated as the Trinity doctrine or anything.

The rest of my doctrines unravelled after I had made the decision to leave. Shortly thereafter the UN thing came to light, and I DAed a couple of months later, having taken the time to establish a new support network.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I didn`t want to end up like the brain dead zombies around me..The only way to survive there,was to "Dumb Down"..Not to use your brain..Most everyone I knew is still there..Unhappy and smileing..Smileing like they slept with a clothes hanger in thier mouth...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit