If it really is the end, WHERE ARE THEY?

by Do Not Call 28 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Well, big news !!!

They are preaching on my street right now, so I guess Matthew 24:14 isn't something of the past.....unless they are preaching a message of doom saying it's now too late to join....rott in hell

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

DNC, I am beginning to think that there is a difference between attitudes in the U.S. and in the U.K.

Our American posters often complain of unwanted "harassment" from the elders. Our experience is that if one tails off from attending meetings you might get one visit, but no real effort on your behalf . I have some contact with the local congregation, although non participating, my wife is active and I hear from her friends that they are all fed up that elders do not "shepherd" these days.

If they cared, they would show interest in somebody slipping into the "low sink of debauchery", - but they do not care...

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

This morning I saw the usual mob of "THEM" on their "ENDS" at Tim Horton's and MC Donalds. ~Hill

• some-xjw-guy
    some-xjw-guy

Of course, the belief system OVERRIDES any natural love and concern, didn't you know? The way you are talking about it would assume it is a natural concern and a given if they really believed it's the end, but for the purpose of mind control it only has to be strong enough to keep people dumbed down or just confused, relatively few are the zealous, gung-ho type.

• sspo
    sspo

It has nothing to do with end of the system or love for people.

It's all about getting a few hours in the ministry one way or another and look good

in the eyes of the congr. - elders- CO - DO -- GB.

Very few witnesses knock on doors because they truly love people.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    If it's true that the end is so close (Matt. 24 fulfilled etc.), then why aren't elders, JW family members and friends
    beating down our doors, pleading with us to go back?

I get the feeling my parents would just love it if I came back crawling on my hands and knees begging them to let me back in their lives. Not gonna ever happen.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I feel a lot of sympathy with the JWs here. Basically they end up damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Come round and visit and the chances are they'll get lampooned on here for harassment and being all fake.
    Don't visit and rather than being impressed that you got left alone to make up your mind they get accused of not caring.
    As JWs did you run around to everyone's house to show them your love as soon as you got a whiff they were fading?? I doubt it (and you know full well it wasn't because you didn't care because I'll bet you did - I think you'd cite time constraints and other distractions such as your family.)
    The JWs are suggesting it is the end with a very major effort to deliver this tract (you all discussed alrready how some people wouldn't get some as they couldn't print 6 billion.) and though I'm no JW supporter they are the most effective door to door canvasing organisation in the world and they have just covered a tremendous number of people ( I suspect most here got a tract.)

• some-xjw-guy
    some-xjw-guy

Yes, but if you really cared about something you wouldn't be so distracted that you let years go by without addressing it, would you? I agree that generally that's just the way people are, to some extent it is just human nature - losing contact with friends or whatever. But without getting caught up in some feeling for them as a group (I am sure some individuals do care more than others) the fact remains that there is a lack of extraordinary love which would go with extraordinary times. I don't think that means they are bad people, I just don't think that means they are any better than the average Joe.

• some-xjw-guy
    some-xjw-guy

Also there's just the question of how convinced are you that it's an urgent time of the end, I mean REALLY? As convinced as if someone had a seizure right in front of your eyes?

• TD
    TD
    I feel a lot of sympathy with the JWs here. Basically they end up damned if they do and damned if they don't.

True Qcmbr, but it's a result of the contrast of concept and reality.

The "Concept" is that JW elders love the flock, their interest is pastoral and their mission is restorative.

The reality is that when JW elders come to call on members that have fallen away, their interest is usually inquisitorial and their mission is punitive.

It's this contradiction that has people wondering why they don't come to call and simultaneously being relieved that they don't.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit