COLLEGE?!?!?!? for Me !!?!?

by purplesofa 13 Replies latest jw friends

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Today I went to a community vo-tech school with a friend of mine....she needed to pick up her books.

The bookstore was buzzing with energy and I wound up buying 7 books.

I have thought about going to school for a long time.

Anyway, I am going to start the process.......whatever that is.......to get some college courses. Not sure if I will go to this school, but I have made the decision to go!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't have a clue what I will take I just know I want to go.

Any advice ? on what and how I can do this ......or sites you know about. ?

Kind of excited.

purps

• bebu
    bebu

Hehe, I'm taking some courses now too. Anatomy and Physiology, so that I can enter an allied health or nursing field. I would like to combine that with my BA and get (I hope) an interesting job.

What do you like to do? What would you love to learn about? If you've never been to college, then the first 2 years will give you a sampling of everything as you take your general requirements, so it's possible you will get an idea (or refine your thoughts) during that time.

Congratulations for taking the plunge!!!

bebu

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

u go girl...i do music

it rocks

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I have not been to college........actually I did not finish highschool......I got my GED. I finished after my first son was born and had to sneak to school as my husband saw no need in me going.

I have worked as a buyer in the furniture industry. Actually, I had a job that college kids are chomping at the bit to get. My boss did not want me to go to school and have what he called raw natural talented tainted with.

But, I do not work for him anymore. And so much time out of the field....makes getting my foot through the door....needing a degree. I have a good eye for buying/merchandising and just a sixth sense for trends and such. I esp liked working with upholstry, the fabrics and COLORS. Since my love is mostly for color......and I always say you can put about anything together as long as the color is right......that drifts over into other interests.

Landscaping......when I thought I would be in paradise earth someday, I wanted to design beautiful cities with beautiful landscaping. To be really good at it ........you have to take chemistry and botony, even archecture......and I am sure alot more. I just dont think there are that many jobs for me in that area. Other than possibly owning a nursery, and even a nursery is very expensive to get into (for me)

I think in my heart though I would like to help women. I fought through alot of issues, which I am glad to see so many things change for women in the last 20 years. I would like to help women ......in issues such as getting out of abusive marriages.....self esteem......etc. but I just dont want to get way deep into personal lives, bogged down at a desk. I think there has to be a novel way to help and I think about this often too.

I am goign to start a womens support group ......with friends I know......to toss around ideas.......open up avenues for the women that are a part of the group. Encourage each other and just for the companionship. I feel as though I am doing this for myself more than anything. If we can get this going and network, maybe it will grow into something that will help others in the community......just something more creative and thinking out of the box.

anyway ........for the first time in a long time my brain is churning.

purps

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Exciting! I'm sure you'll figure it out.

• karnage
    karnage

Purp... I say go for it!! Go and take a few classes. Self improvement is always a good thing! Being raised as a JW the thought of going to college was not even supposed to enter our minds. I am graduating or commencing with my class on Jan. 20th of this year. I am getting my degree in Culinary Arts from Le Cordon Bleu. I am so thankful for this honor and I cannot even begin to tell you what this experience has done for me.

My JW mother is coming into town for the event. She even tells me that she is proud of what I've accomplished (Actually, I think that she is really interested in the gourmet meal that I am about to prepare). I wish you the very best in your endevours! You won't be sorry for the steps that you are about to take.

• Jourles
    Jourles

Don't have a clue what I will take I just know I want to go.

Any advice ? on what and how I can do this ......or sites you know about. ?

If you're not sure what you would like to obtain a degree in, just focus on getting the general ed classes out of the way first. Those are usually math and english and possibly critical writing classes. These classes will always be required for any degree. Just one word of caution if you plan on attending a different college in the future - make sure the math and english classes are high enough so that another college will accept them in a transfer. Usually a MAT125 or ENG120 class satisfies most degree programs.

If you're still not sure what you would like to obtain a degree in, how about a "general associates" degree? That would leave roughly 2 years of fulltime classes left in getting your BS or BA(BA sounds like your fit).

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Dear PurpleSofa:

I graduated college last month after three
    years. My degree is in web design and multi-
    media.

My advice for anyone wanting to go to school
    would be to first know exactly what you want
    to do.

What drives you? What are your passions
    regarding what you want out of life?

The reason I suggest such a measure is because
    if you really do not have a targeted goal, the
    chances are higher that you will not complete
    your field of studies and you will not acquire
    a degree.

This of course is only my opinion based on
    seeing the dropout rates in college when
    I attended.

However, the fact that you want to go back
    is a positive step and a big plus.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Purps, you can so do this. I can't wait to hear about your experiences. This is very, very cool.

• searching4truth
    searching4truth

Go get em purps.

You should talk to the college counsellor they will probably have some good advice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit