Never did they say, "These are the words of Jehovah"

by xjwms 17 Replies latest jw friends

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I think what it comes down to is what the word INSPIRATION means to a person.

Merriam-Webster Definition:

1 a:a divine influence or action on a person believed to qualify him or her to receive and communicate sacred revelation b: the action or power of moving the intellect or emotions c:the act of influencing or suggesting opinions
    2: the act of drawing in; specifically: the drawing of air into the lungs
    3 a: the quality or state of being inspired b: something that is inspired inspiration>
    4: an inspiring agent or influence

Having been taught that the GB is inspired by Jehovah, and to put so much trust in what comes from them--that then becomes as good as being "from J's mouth" without legally claiming so. Their arses remain covered. So, if a person chooses to do something, or NOT do something, then that falls on that person, and that person alone. That tactic allows a person to think they have freewill while they're actually brainwashed.

• xjwms
    xjwms

lonely sheep

I see your point. ... Bottom line....its a man-made company with a free sales staff, and the staff is ordered to obey.

• bennyk
    bennyk
    Never did they say, "These are the words of Jehovah"

Actually, they did:

"Jehovah's prophetic word through Jesus Christ is: 'This generation [of 1914] will by no means pass away until all things occur.' (Luke 21:32) And Jehovah, who is the source of inspired an unfailing prophecy, will bring about the fulfillment."
    --The Watchtower, May 15, 1984, pgs. 6-7 (Brackets in original)

• Confession
    Confession

Oh really? Well how about these little gems?

“We see no reason for changing the figures — nor could we change them if we would. They are, we believe, God’s dates, not ours. But bear in mind that the end of 1914 is not the date for the beginning, but for the end of the time of trouble.” [The Watchtower, July 15, 1894]

"This chronology is not of man, but of God. Being of divine origin and divinely corroborated, present-truth chronology stands in a class by itself, absolutely and unqualifiedly correct...." [Watchtower 1922 July 15, p.217]

Anyone arguing that statements such as the above are merely speculations from expectant children of God is refusing to be honest with him or herself.

• Warlock
    Warlock
    Anyone arguing that statements such as the above are merely speculations from expectant children of God is refusing to be honest with him or herself.

The problem is, the statements are not easily found by the average J.W. They are found here, of course, but 99% of J.W.'s will not come to a place like this.

Warlock

• xjwms
    xjwms

Confession

You are right on track, ... Warlock said it best... We have done the deep research, and we know... When I was

a brainwashed JW all I had to do is go to the meetings and thats it ... a lazy way of life.

We just believed we had the truth, (until we found out it was The Lie)

• Confession
    Confession
    The problem is, the statements are not easily found by the average J.W. They are found here, of course, but 99% of J.W.'s will not come to a place like this.

I know this is largely the case. But, in my experience, many JWs who do read citations such as the ones I provided, have no other defense than..

'Well that doesn't mean the Society was "prophesying." Even the apostles asked Jesus if he was "restoring the Kingdom to Israel at this time." This shows that God's people have often been in keen anticipation of the blessings His kingdom will bring about.'

As if the apostles' simply asking Jesus a damn question is equal to such bold statements that their "chronology" is "of God" and the dates were in reality "God's dates, not ours."

For active JWs who just don't have the information, I remain hopeful that they find it. But for those who desperately deny what their own eyes are seeing and ears hearing, I draw a sigh.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

”, there have been numerous times that the Watchtower has said that Jehovah, angels or Holy Spirit provides what is in the Watchtower.

Watchtower 1992 November 15 p.20
    “provided by God through the faithful slave.”

Pay Attention to Yourself and to All The Flock p.13
    “Today, Jehovah provides instruction by means of "the faithful steward.”

The Nations Shall Know that I am Jehovah” – How? pp.58-62
    “… commissioned to serve as the mouthpiece and active agent of Jehovah… commission to speak as a prophet in the name of Jehovah...”

Watchtower 1972 March 15 p.189
    “...commission to speak as a “prophet” in His name....”

The Watchtower makes it clear that what it contains are to be considered ‘the words of Jehovah”.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit