Remember congregation summer picnics? (and other ramblings)

by WingCommander 26 Replies latest jw friends

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Hello All,

A thread on the last page made me remember something from my early childhood. Remember congregation picnics and other outings? I remember when I was little, probably only 4 - 5 years old; there was a huge congregation picnic at a park with food, games, etc. This would have been 1983-84 or so. They had it at a park so that all of the children could play on the swings and playground equipment while the adults could relax themselves. I really remember one well, where I was sad to leave as it was getting dark. It was (it seemed) an all day thing. At the time of my youth, there were many in my congregation that was of my age. I recall this fond memory as one of the only "normal feeling" gatherings of my childhood, where religion wasn't constantly rammed down my throat while being told to sit still in a hot little suit. I guess I just find it amazing how this one memory stands out harder than any other assembly I had ever been too. (Except the sweltering heat of Veteran's Stadium in Philly) Imagine that?

It wasn't long after that, that the Society came out with the direction to not have ANY gatherings where people could actually talk, enjoy themselves, and HAVE FUN. What a complete shame, to not even be able to socialize on some normal level with your own spiritual brothers and sisters beyond the Kingdumb Hall, a field service car, or the very rare wedding. When I was told this by my parents at a young age, I remember then feeling how weird and anti-social this religion was, and I mean at like 5 - 6 years old. It may have been the very first "light bulb" of something being wrong in Oz. Of course, then school starts, and you realize how REALLY different you are in comparison to everyone else. I remember my young "worldly" school mates talking about Sunday School, or their church activities, or their church trips, youth activities, etc....and feeling completely jealous and even envious that they would have something like that for kids our age, while I had to sit through boring meetings.

With all of the anti-social behavior, new talk of the preaching work being fulfilled, and endless tract campaigns, how much further behind can the Kool-Aid be? I mean really, either they are right and God'd judgement is right around the corner, or they are crying Wolf for the 20th time and will run themselves into an iceberg with everyone jumping ship. I mean, I really feel it has come to that. Either the end is really soon, or there will be no one left. The congregation I was in growing up in the 80's, disbanded in about 1990. The congregation I moved to after that has only a handful in attendance at Sunday meetings, and can't even get full seating for the Memorial. I remember as a child there barely being standing room at The Memorial. They had to set up extra seats; now they can't even fill the Hall. I know my congregation isn't isolated either, as all of the Circuit Assembly attendance seems waaaaay down. People are just tired, emotionally drained, and just plain fed up with being told every tiny thing to do 24/7, 7 days a week. No wonder my parents burned out by 1995. (They were baptized in 1982-83)

Since getting married to a "worldly" woman 3 years ago and having a child, I couldn't imagine living or raising my child as they raised me; with the constant rat race the WTBS demands that you do in order to gain their acceptance. I also want my child to learn about God in a more pleasant, fun, nurturing environment, instead of my childhood of highlighting WT and Awake! Magazines. Those "Young People Ask", articles were completely condescending, idiotic, and useless drivel that were of basically no help at all in my teens.

Sorry for the ramble, but I haven't rambled on here in some time now. Your ramblings are encouraged though!

Thanks for listening,

Wing Commander

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

Hello WingCommander

Our congregation picnics were put to an end in the mid-eighties.Since there were too many teenage girls who would dress in tight shorts and inappropriate clothing, all the young boys would be chasing them around and sometimes they would walk away from the picnic area and not be seen for sometime.Also,"worldly" people would show up and that was a problem with the elders.So,they decided since they couldn't control it,they would put an end to it.{ YOU KNOW THEY NEED TO BE IN CONTROL OF EVERYTHING OR ELSE }

My cousins who were not Witnesses were invited to one of the picnics by my uncle who was an elder.Well,another elder found out that they weren't Witnesses went around asking everyone who invited them.My uncle didn't fess up so all the elders decided since "worldly" people would show up ,they would put an end to them.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

When I was a kid in the 70's we used to have congregational picnics on Memorial Day weekend at a park, not too far away from Woodside, California, called Memorial Park. No lie. Used to have a whole lot of fun too.

• blondie
    blondie

No "congregation" picnics any more. It seemed like the congregation elders were sponsoring them and the did not want to be held responsible for any "judicial" incidents or injuries. An individual had to sponsor it. Some congregations said that only one or book study groups could get together.

Blondie

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am actually glad that WT kills the fun in being a JW. I see it as one more
    reason that rank and file are unhappy and dissatisfied with their religion.
    This causes them to go to "worldly" functions of various types more often.

• undercover
    undercover

"Congregation picnics" were one of the few good things about life as a JW. Two or three times a year the congregation would get together, have a "pot luck" (which we never called it that, because of the word 'luck' being used ) and enjoy each other's company as friends.

I remember a few experiences of how social activities were suspended:

Sometimes we had live music. Those with musical talent (some without also) would bring instruments and amps and would plug in for a good ole sing along. That was so much fun that some brothers go together and started doing it about once a month. Anyone was invited, but it was asked that if you came, you donated a couple of bucks to cover the rent of the building being used for the jam. What a great way to have "christian" association, enjoy music and be upbuilt by each other's company. But eventually, and especially after the article on large gatherings came out, the elders busted up the jam sessions. They used the excuse that the brothers shouldn't be "charging" the friends to come listen to them play.

And then there was the group of brothers who got together every Sunday during the winter, rented a school gym and played basketball. Even some elders came. Of course, no one objected to everyone chipping in to pay for the rental of the gym, which was more expensive than the hall used by the musicians. Eventually a couple of "weak" ones were coming to play every week, but they weren't ever at the morning meeting prior to our playing. The elders counseled them at first about not missing meetings and if they couldn't make the meetings then how can they find the time to play ball? Eventually the elders "suggested" that we stop renting the gym because it was becoming too important in our lives. Kingdom service was to be our focus, not basketball. I've recently found out however, that many of the brothers that I used to play with are now playing again, except they're playing in a public gym, with "wordly" guys. Even elders are sharing in it.

One brother that was a golfer got together with another golfing brother and put together a JW only golf tournament. They arranged everything, collected dues/green fees, supplied lunch, even had trophies for the winning teams. This proved to be very popular among the golfers of the area congregations. Again, good upbuilding association with our brothers away from stress of family and KH issues. After a year or so (two tourneys a year) the elders, prompted by the CO, started questioning the activity as excessive. The time and effort used to put this together could be better spent in field service. Since the two or three brothers who did all the work were MSs, they received "suggestions" to end their involvement with the activity. Once they backed out, no one else felt brave enough to take over.

• joenobody
    joenobody

I remember those days as a kid looking forward to the platform announced congregation picnic. It usually meant my dad (a non-JW at the time) would come out and get to see the JWs acting normally, relaxing and enjoying themselves.

- loved the softball game and getting to play

- great having a picnic lunch with the family

- funny memories of seeing some of the older people "dressed down" wearing shorts, but a collared shirt, dress socks and dress shoes

- the day seemed to go on forever, getting there early afternoon and leaving after dusk

The funny thing is that most current dubs are too new to remember his phenomenon of the 70s and 80s. It was a good recruiting tool for guys like my dad who used to abhor the Witnesses, but then got to see that most were regular people at the picnics.

Some families hosted big get-togethers at their farms which included cookouts and bonfires. I think when they dropped the congregation sanctioned events to which all were invited, they probably fed into a lot of the cliques and class system that formed in the 80s. Suddenly people were having to organize smaller events and hence started to decide who they would invite and who they wouldn't. That invariably meant that a lot of the rich families didn't invite either the poor or the single-moms/unbelieving mates.

• proplog2
    proplog2

Being a JW now-a-days is no picnic.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Like you WC the last big social do I attended was in a park - Wollaton Park in Nottinghamshire around 1982. I guess that the counsel about big social gatherings weher more than one congregation got together is why I dont remember anymore after that.

• JeffT
    JeffT

If had not been for the social events and the feeling of beloning to something I would not have joined this religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit