Disciplining babies?

by bernadette 44 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Gill
    Gill

I could also give you an example of how this could work well for a parent if you like, Bernadette.

I had taken my fifteen year old twin boys to the doctors. We had been sat waiting for a while when a very harrassed young woman prepared to leave with her 2-3 year old son. Could she catch him? Could she hell!!! He ran one way, she ran after him. He ran the other way and she ran that way. Others in the surgery tried to help her but the little terror was too fast on his feet.

One of my boys turned to the other. 'This would never have happened to mum!' he laughed.

'Yeah!' the other twin said,'Mum would have just said, 'I'm going!' and have left! She always means it! And we always had to run after You!' he said pointing to me and laughing, 'Because we knew you MEANT it!'

Bringing up children is little effort if you use your brain first and only!!

• nelly136
    nelly136

my friend was gobsmacked when my mother told her the advice she'd given another jw she'd seen pinching his fidgety kids legs at the meeting,

"Dont do it there, do it where the marks dont show"

• Gill
    Gill

nelly136 - Yes! I've hear that suggestion myself! Always tempted to pinch The Suggestion Maker 'where it doesn't show!'

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I had a sister tell me I should spank my 2-week-old daughter because she cried at the hall. I was stunned. And yes that says 2-weeks old.

She had 2 kids so was telling she knew from experience. Start smacking them young and they will learn to behave. She left me speechless but I sure wasn't going to start beating up on a newborn.

As my baby got older I didn't have to do a lot to discipline her. Usually just a look was enough for her to stop unwanted behavior.

My husband though had this terrible habit of pinching them. He always did it so I wouldn't see. Then when I got home and put them to bed I would see these tiny half-moon marks on them. We had more than one argument about that.

As they got older I did spank but always on the bottom

Interestingly after I left (they were 13 and 9) I stopped hitting them except for two times - once a slap on the back and my youngest says I slapped her in the face once when she was a teen. I really don't recall this but she would have no reason to lie and her sister says it did happen

I feel bad about it but I do know that I didn't do to them most of the things that were done to me

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Maddening!

• nelly136
    nelly136

my friend was really pissed because the little boy in question attended the special needs playschool where she worked with a lot of physically/mentally/sexually abused kids.

my mother openly told her that she'd added on the end of her advice to the 'brother', "he does go to special needs playschool, you dont want them seeing the marks."

• Gill
    Gill

nelly - Perhaps your mother needs a few 'marks' to help her see the error of her ways! Only kidding!

There's some very crazy people out there!

I do remember an Elder commenting at a thursday meeting, that even should spanking be banned in the UK, JW parents would still spank their children because it was a command from Jehovah to 'discipline in love'!

Ah! To be beaten with love. I've yet to see someone come up with that defence in court!

• Gill
    Gill

Infact, it's as irrational as saying, that if you're going to hang someone to KILL them, you have to do it kindly and with love!

I'm still laughing at Mr Bush and Mr Blair insisting that Saddam had to be killed 'nicely'!

Bizarre!

In the end, the result is the same!

• Satanus
    Satanus

Abusing a special needs kid. That's like something out of the dark ages.

S

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I said this very firmly at a JW family visit a few weeks back. The room went very quiet for a few moments, but I know they took the information in. I explained why and then one of my JW relatives reeled off occassions he had been hit and punished as a small child, that he still remembered. He is 67 now. I was able to say, that his beatings had traumatised him, and that's why he still remembered them, and that is why parents need to use their brains to discipline and not their hands.

No one else said anything, but I'm sure they thought about it.

Once again Gill - I admire and enhjoy your forthright manner!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit