What were your reasons for becoming a JW?

by Narkissos 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Reasons, not excuses -- even valid ones (like, "I was ignorant, depressed, fooled").

Yours in the sense that you can still own (to) them -- even though you now know the "answer" was wrong.

This obviously applies to those who became JWs -- hence mostly not born-in, although some of the latter might admit to having chosen the JW way for themselves at a certain stage of their childhood or teenage years.

This question is triggered by a previous conversation with purplesofa on another thread:

I think most of us that came in and not born in were searching. Our hearts were pure in our search. Afterall, we were moaning and groaning over the detestable things of the earth. We wanted to make a difference

That's a point I've long been eager to dig further -- with little success so far.

Although I was only 13 when I became a JW, I count myself as one who "chose to be in" -- at least to some extent. In my case, that means I was craving for difference as much as a "born-in" JW kid can crave for normalcy.

Retrospectively, though, I wouldn't necessary buy into the flattering moral spin JWs put on that thirst for difference (as in "pure," "moaning and groaning over the detestable things"). But good or bad the desire was there and I neither want nor can disown it.

How the remedy proved to be a poison (but is not all remedy a poison?) is one thing, and that's what the discussion on "cults" is about. Why we were looking for it is another -- perhaps for another thread?

Dear Nark,

For myself, as a child, I seemed to be very sensitive to my surroundings, people, the planet, Earth. I saw no reason for prejudice, meaness, War, the sadness........I already knew I did not want to die. I wanted to be around long enough to do everything I knew I could not in a lifetime. I wanted enough time to fix all the scars I already had and what I saw that mankind had.

Getting married and having 5 children was so far away from what I imagined for myself. The desire within for peace was huge inside me. Among mankind. I was abused as a child and wife, so possibly that is where that strong desire came from.

As I began to study with the witnesses, I came to believe that they had the answers to peace on the earth, amongst all people. I was zealous in learning so that I too could get started and be a full supporter. Somewhere along the journey, I lost sight........(this is where the mind control comes in) I was listening to people talk about what length skirt to wear, whether one should wear a beard or not. I became more worried about turning in a time card than what I was actually doing with my time.

In my trust that this was the answer ........I overlooked these things for some time. Then I realized I was never going to make it in the "club" my circumstances were not going to allow for a lot of things the org offered in the way of helping others. I was sitting 5 hours a week taking in the same things over and over and spending a few hours out in service so that maybe someone saw me going from door to door ......and that was my statement!!?!?!?!

While on tv I was seeing what people were doing to feed millions of people....what people were doing to help/save the enviroment.

I do not regret the discipline I got from learning from the witnesses, but we never graduate, we never move on, we become stagnant, useless, (one reason for gossip and turning on each other)

I think most people here do want to make a difference.........and yes I think another thread would be great to start ........please do.......

I think this might be an interesting and helpful subject to discuss indeed, with a lot of personal implications: how we can own and make sense of our life story as a whole, including the JW episode; how we now relate to what we were and chose to become years or decades ago... many things that the "deception" and "victim" paradigms, however true, can hardly help us deal with.

Sometimes I imagine a discussion between the characters I was at 13, 20, 30, and the one I am now. We would disagree on many things and everyone of us would have some points. The difference with a real discussion is that we would have to be understanding to each other...

• sir82
    sir82

I was "born in". At age 17 or so, it suddenly seemd like it was another thing that just had to get done.

Renew library card - check.

Get driver's license - check.

Get baptized, just like every other person I knew who was more than a passing acquaintance - check.

There was no deep "spiritual conversion" or "revelation" or whatever. I just kind of realized, "Hmm, this is what is expected of me, so I better do it."

• blondie
    blondie

It was better than the other religions I had investigated. I finally learned that religion was not required in a spiritual life.

• Fleshybirdfodder
    Fleshybirdfodder

I agree with Sir82. I was raised in it and baptism was just another part of life that was expected (if you wanted the elders and your parents to stop hounding you). I actually chose the religion after I initially left for a couple of years. I had a panic attack and realized I was now an adult and had no idea what I believed or who I was. So I resumed putting the belief system on auto pilot because that is all I had ever known. So for me it was primarly intellectual laziness and fear.

FBF

• Quandary
    Quandary

I concur with Sir and Fleshly- I would assume it's this way for most "raised in the truth" kids.

Q

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

indeed! an interesting concept narkissos! my mother and i were just discussing this yesterday.

ultimately, the reason i became a jw is because i believe that a paradise earth is the only way for humans. and i still do, in an evolved sense that i have recently aquired. we need to get back to nature. and we need to have reverence for something mutually. it used to be jehovah. now it is just the earth itself. and this mutual reverence tells of another reason, i suppose. pan-cultural brotherhood. the wts is a failed exercise in such. but it is still a major reason i became a wit.

i guess ultimately because i believe we can be better, fuller and connected with each other and the earth.

peace,

tetra

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

I wanted to know and serve God and the JW's were the best I had found. My Uncle was one and and that impressed me as well. I was in the Navy at the time and had already decided I didn't want to be part of a killing process so the JW's made sense with that AND my grandfather had just died and the new system appealed to me very much.

• lfcviking
    lfcviking

They seemed to produce a logical reason for why the world is a such bad place, i.e all the wars, famines, crimes, poverty etc that is "the whole world is lying in the power of the Wicked One". It seemed to make sense, the Devil was in control, i.e a bad world=a bad ruler Eureka!!! From there on i was like putty in thier hand.

Shame on me

• bernadette
    bernadette

I'm the kind of person who needs to make sense of things - and at that time when i was 16 it was very intriguing to me that the bible, a book written so many years ago made sense.

bernadette

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

I wanted to serve God and learn the real truth from the Bible. They catch you with basic doctrines and truths and then you just take it hook line and sinker. But love of God and fear of death in the beginning.

abr

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit