Anti Social Personality Disorder in WT cult leaders?

by Dogpatch 17 Replies latest jw friends

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Good info Randy i just call em psychopathspredatory psychopaths at that whole lotta psychopaths among Jehovah's Witnesses.

I watched two close family members turn into psychopathic monsters and they were NOT like that before the watchtower borg conversion.-Danny Haszard

• avengers
    avengers

Maybe this will help you all?
    How many elders meet this profile?
    I started a thread on this subject several years ago.
    If you want to read it it's here. http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/8/72216/1.ashx
    Get your barfbags ready though.

Robert D. Hare, Ph.D., is considered one of the world's foremost experts in the area of psychopathy and he is the author of the popular book Without Conscience .

Dr. Hare is a professor of psychology at the University of British Columbia, and has researched psychopathy for more than twenty years. The following is his well-known and implemented psychopathy checklist.

For each characteristic that is listed, the subject is given a score: 0 for "no," 1 for "somewhat," and 2 for "definitely does apply." (Please note that Dr. Hare does not advise that the layman use this checklist for "diagnosing" friends and family; this checklist, however, does give you a good idea how it is used).

1. Glibness/superficial charm
    2. Grandiose sense of self-worth
    3. Need for stimulation/proneness to boredom
    4. Pathological lying
    5. Conning/manipulative
    6. Lack of remorse or guilt
    7. Shallow affect
    8. Callous/lack of empathy
    9. Parasitic lifestyle
    10. Poor behavioural controls
    11. Promiscuous sexual behaviour
    12. Early behaviour problems
    13. Lack of realistic, long-term plans
    14. Impulsivity
    15. Irresponsibility
    16. Failure to accept responsibility for own actions
    17. Many short-term relationships
    18. Juvenile delinquency
    19. Revocation of conditional release
    20. Criminal versatility
    Narcissism is also a characteristic

Hare had continued his work with the assessment scale, eventually called the Psychopathy Checklist, and in 1985, he revised it to include only twenty items. It was now known as the Psychopathy Checklist-Revised (PCL-R), and was completed on the basis of a semi-structured interview with the people being assessed, along with information from files. Person by person, each trait on the scale was rated on a scale from 0, meaning the person did not manifest it, to 2, meaning he or she definitely did. The total score was 40, and a person was diagnosed as a psychopath if his or her score fell between 30 and 40. (In some places, a cut-off score of 25 is useful.)

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

As an individual who never joined the Witnesses but did try to understand their beliefs, I find that this article contains about six or seven attributes I discovered within the JW organization. And this observation was very generic in nature . . .information that seemed to want to scream out at me and say, " LOOK AT WHAT WE CAN DO TO YOU AND YOUR LOVED ONES AND YOU CAN DO NOTHING ABOUT IT ! " and revealed itself to me within the first six months of my experience with the Witnesess.

God help us to destroy this gross manipulator of innocence.

• Will Power
    Will Power

" LOOK AT WHAT WE CAN DO TO YOU AND YOUR LOVED ONES AND YOU CAN DO NOTHING ABOUT IT ! "

extremely well put. like the blood on the ground that screams death.
    how many loved ones lost

My last JW visitor kept repeating..."but the bible says, by their fruits you will know them !!!"
    and each time I answered sincerely...
    "I'm truly sorry, I just don't see any fruit."

Whats that movie? I'm mad as hell and I'm just not going to take it anymore?!

wp

• Anitar
    Anitar

Hi Randy,

Excellent topic, I can see many of these characteristics in my mom. I have a few questions though, and I was hoping to get your input.

Rutherford certainly had antisocial personality disorder. However, did he turn the Watchtower into a cult, or was it already a cult under Charles Russell? If not, was Rutherford himself responsible for turning the WTS into a cult?

Since I'm trying to be optimistic, I'm guessing that after Russell died, the organization would have died also had it not been for Rutherford. Many, if not all of their characteristics today did not exist during Russell's time. They still celebrated holidays, and they were not called Jehovah Witnesses. As World War One drew to a close, maybe Russell's followers would have dispersed or moved on to other things in light of his failed prophicies?

If Russell truly believed he was right, than Rutherford exploited the devotion of his followers to suit his own selfish desires. At best, I feel pity for Russell, for his organization became corrupt and anti-christian after his death, even more so than when he was alive.

Also, why is it so many cults pretend that by joining them you can get closer to God, when in fact the exact opposite is true? Doesn't the term "Jehovah's Witnesses" imply a direct communion with God, yet everything about their beliefs serves to remove them from a relationship with God or Jesus?

Just a few ideas...

Anitar

• Will Power
    Will Power

Anitar.... I believe Rutherford manipulated himself into the presidency, and was not Russell's chosen "heir". By WT standards this makes Rutherford and all his followers that he named Jehovah's witnesses, down to this present day APOSTATES, since the original group of International Bible Students still congregate.

wp

• No Longer Held Captive
    No Longer Held Captive

sad wanker Robert King has one, he carried his anti-social psychopathic traits with him as self appointed prophet on to his website which is going top be unplugged real soon.

• Satanus
    Satanus

NLHC

Thanks for bringing this back up. I like the following part, sort of the root motivation of the leaders:

'characterized the antisocial personality as constantly seeking to avoid a “zero state” of feeling low, powerless, and down.'

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit