Am I done having children?

by whyamihere 21 Replies latest jw friends

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

I have a question to the parents on the board:

How did you know your last child was your last? Did your family feel complete?

I don't want anymore children right now, but I am thinking of having more. I don't think it is just baby envy...lol. Although, I miss all that baby stuff.

Waking up every hour for feeding, endless diapers etc...I miss it. Anyone have a baby I can borrow? lol.

Maybe in a few years, I'll think about having another baby.

~Brookie

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I'm still not brave enough to have my first - so I cannot advise. ANyway you wont be able to have so many JH and Buttlight escapades if you have a tiny brooke to carry! What does mumsy think?

• JH
    JH

26 y 5 m 29 d

You're not too old

Hi Crumpet, Brooke will party with Buttlight and Collegegirl this week-end by the way...

• Heather
    Heather

Afte i gave birth to my third BOY. I knew i was done. My hubby went and got fixed I have an 8yr old a 3yr old and a 2yr old.....the 2 little ones keep the house upside down and side ways. I knew that three was what i could handle. Although my husband and I said that when they are older and if I still want a girl that we would look into adopting......and thats if we are still doing well financially......We really miss having our own time and getting to go on our dates.....So, we'll see. I'm so glad that my 2 yr old is finally sleeping through the night.....i always thought it was interesting when one baby might be very calm and sleep through the night at a week old and the other can have collick and want to nurse every friken 30 mins......You never know.....But i do miss them being so little and tiny.......but i'm so glad i'm not having anymore

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I know what you mean....I LOVE being a mom that much, too!

I'm done at two, though-I'm liking my freedom to be selfish again.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

You are so young, no need to make permanent decision now. Things change over time. I finished when in my mid 30's. I just realized a couple of weeks ago that I definitely DO NOT want any more kids. I love mine, but I am 40 now and looking forward to someday having an empty nest (though my 6 year old tells me he will NEVER move away cause he loves me so much-give him 10 years!))

I wish i would have had them closer together and got each phase over with- I feel like I have started over and over-19, 15, 6. If I would have done it according to plan (hah, people plan, god laughs), I would have 19, 17, 15 and be done with it in a couple of years. I love my kids, and actually thought I would have more. The older ones were great help with the last one though, and he has totally been the light of my life, so maybe plans should be flexible! He is my sunshine. Wouldn't change him for the world. I guess we need to be open to the gifts we get in our children. If I didn't have any one of them, the world wouldn't be as good or as interesting. Though, w/o my oldest, it would be safer to drive!

Short answer: I guess I knew when I had a preg. scare and was TOTALLY relieved that it was a false alarm. Not even a bit disappointed. I was feeling a little off knowing that my days of baby-making were waning, but somehow, it just doesn't seem like a sad thing anymore. It is a new phase in my life to look forward to.

• Smiles_Smiles
    Smiles_Smiles

Interesting question. I think you know when you know. Or when your circumstances tell you that it is not a good idea to have another.

I had one (single mom) and I thought '1's enough'. Even if my circumstances had been different I still think I would have only wanted one.

But now I am involved with a man who doesn't have any and I am staying open until we decide if we really want to start all over (my daughter is 14).

Just remember babies turn into preteens that turn into TEEAGERS that turn into college students. That may be a bit much to go through just to have another baby experience. (You will always have the baby experience again when the grandbabies arrive).

Smiles

• juni
    juni

Here's my baby history:

Married at 18. First son born 1 year later. Second son born 3 years later. First daughter born 4 years later. Last son born less than 2 years later. He was a colicky baby and didn't cut his first tooth until he was 1. I loved all of my babies, but the colic was enough to make me be extra careful!

It's also a lot more expensive now to raise children. And society has changed which makes things more difficult to raise a child w/good values. Kids now are allowed to grow up too fast.

Juni

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I highly doubt I'll be having any more than the one I already have. I'm already having trouble doing things because of my buggered up knee. It's just going to get harder keeping up with him when he starts running around. My wife doesn't want any more because her pregnancy was hell. But still, I'm giving things a year or two to completely decide. However, being 46 years old when the boy turns 18 sounds pretty sweet to me :)

• becca1
    becca1

You definitely don't sound like you are finished. When your family is complete you won't be asking this question. You will know. Kinda like being annointed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit