Over eating yes, smoking no...why?

by Justice-One 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Justice-One
    Justice-One

Why does the Society hate smoking so much? Because it is "defiling" the body? If that is the case, what about drinking coffee, or over-eating? Or hell....getting to much sun?

Did you know that there are some doctors that say that Cigar smoking cannot be compared to the research that has proven cigarete smoking is bad? They say this is because cigars are made with pure tobaco, and use no fillers...and most cigar smokers do not inhale. Why is it that smoking one or two fine 20 buck cigars a month will get you DF'ed, but those that sit down and eat two or three pizza's at a time get no grief?

• sspo
    sspo

Very good point, it does not make sense what the society does.

They do associate smoking with spiritism and that's why the Df.

If they would DF for gluttony most likely 40% of the dubs would be out.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing
    They do associate smoking with spiritism and that's why the Df.

Do you have a literature reference for this? I was raised in the org, and I remember it being for the reasons initially mentioned ... "defiling the body". I am young though, so maybe this was an earlier reason given. So many times, they keep the doctrine, and just change the reason.

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

I've thought of that too. I think there was a trans fat issue with Oreo's that made me think about it. What if Oreo's or chocolate was a sin? I would die. I am heavily addicted and there is no chocolate patch out! If there was, we'd probably try to lick it and see if it tastes like chocolate! LOL

I agree that many would be out of the organization or living a "double(stuff) life".

Remember how many times we were told "bodily training is beneficial for little but godly training is beneficial for much". That scripture was used to guilt us out of excercising and into the ministry. I am just now enjoying sports and hopefully will reap the health benefits from them. I am so sad about that. Now they realize that fat unhealthy people don't have as much energy to go in the ministry and do all they want them to. I've noticed in the past 5 years or so the Watchtower or Awake finally has been promoting moderate excercise to keep health in check.

Kitten Whiskers

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I remember being taught the primary reason being spiritism and defiling the body as only secondary and i think it was in the live forever book. Its the same reasoning as for recreational drugs - that imbibing these mind altering substances can invite demons in and make you a prcticer of spiritism. Nicotine presumably is included in this.

Now of course i think well dont they DF all teh elders wives on tranquilisers for the same reasons and what about anyone taking any medication - couldnt they be just as culpable for inviting demons in? Some time I want to hit myself for never ever questioning any of that and swallowing it like a good girl!

• Gill
    Gill

You, me and everyone here, Crumpet!!

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Justice One, ironically I was just talking to my someone about this last night, how many people in the org would have to be DF'd. Obesity is now the number 1 preventable killer in the USA overtaking smoking. How many over weight witnesses who have been abusing their bodies with over eating and a lack of proper care SHOULD be DF'd as well with other vices and excuses they are involved in that would put them into the same category as smoking.

2 Cor 7:1

1 Therefore, since we have these promises, beloved ones, let us cleanse ourselves of every defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in God’s fear.

The witnesses need to take a closer look at Pauls words. In reading the context, He mentions NOTHING about what should be done if you dont do this. Again a man made rule that if you dont we will scare you with socially cutting you off from everyone that loves you and that you love. This is another classic example of going beyond the things written. Witness should read more of the Bible they claim to know and love and less man made religion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It sickens me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

abr

• Justice-One
    Justice-One

All I know is that I'm very happy I'm not playing by their man made rules anymore. I do not consider myself to be a smoker, but I do smoke. On average about 6 truely fine cigars per year, with a fine scotch or brandy to go with them. There is just something special about being out in the middle of nowhere, under the stars with good friends, a great cigar, and 18 year old scotch, that is hard to put into words.

It seems to put a head on the fact that the Society really does not want people to enjoy life. They want them to merely exist to serve the collective.

• Roger
    Roger

From a medical point of view, there's no such thing as 'safe' level of tobacco consumption, where there is for food and alcohol. I believe the WHO say that cigarettes are the only legally available product that will kill half of it's users if used in the way it is meant. So tobacco is definitely the worst of those vices.

That's an interesting point on spiritism, I didn't realise they linked tobacco to that (but do remember the threat about drugs from the Paradise book, Crumpet. A catch-all threat, akin to the Catholic Church's love of hell).

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Justice-one, I couldn't agree more with your point. Obesity is one of the most preventable causes of death. When I see parents overfeeding their hugely-overweight kids on fat and soda, I feel like calling child services and reporting the abuse.

So yes, for all the reasons the WTB$ disfellowships people on the grounds of bodily abuse (smoking / drugs / TATOOS !!), it is laughable that they don't include obesity.

steve

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit