Dog Owners: Is your pet a Killer?

by restrangled 29 Replies latest jw friends

• parakeet
    parakeet

Dogs may be domesticated, but they're still predators. I absolutely love beagles, but to a rabbit, a beagle is its worst nightmare. Don't condemn your pet; it's in his nature.

• BrentR
    BrentR

My little beaglets were some great sniffers and hunted together real well. I had nine at one time and when they all started baying it got a little crazy sounding. Some day I will get one just for a buddy since I don't rabbit hunt anymore.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Not far from my home, a man's pit bull terrier killed his five year old niece and seriously injured his mother on New Years Day.

The police have now seized lots of pit bull type dogs in this area as a result of tipoffs from the public, some of which were apparently being trained for dog fighting. It is illegal to keep this type of dog.

http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/search/display.var.1100925.0.our_angel.php

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

My cat knocks on the door with his head and demands Friskies. He will eat nothing else! He likes routine and knows he has rights. If I give too much attention to anything he will jump in front of it acting like he doesn't know what he is doing so he has my undivided attention. He's a pest but he's cute!

• Clam
    Clam

I've got a female hybrid American Bulldog who is certainly a natural hunting dog. Birds, rabbits, rats, a fox, fish, she even caught a big crab at the beach recently and proceeded to eat it all. She must have battery acid in her stomach. She's very sensible around livestock though and will herd horses if given the chance. She weighs about 75lbs. She's chased cats but never managed to catch one. I try my best to put her off this but cats run and dogs love chasing a quarry. She's the best dog I've ever owned. ---------->

• juni
    juni

My two mini cocker spaniels only eat bugs. They've never attacked anything.

Juni

• bubble
    bubble

If you own a Doberman, Rotweiller or a pit bull terrier you are asking for trouble. All 3 breeds are known killers, and you just have to pray they get hold of a furry creature to murder! Here in the UK we have had a speight of child killings by these breeds of dog. A 5 year old girl was killed a few days ago, fortunately the dog was shot by the police.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I'm pretty sure that in Paradise wolves and dogs will dine on pasta.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I had a basset hound who got out one day, chased down and killed a rabbit. We have a lot of cottontails in our neighborhood and he's always tried to catch one but was too slow. This time, however, he was evidently quite motivated -- the neighbors who witnessed it said they didn't know he could move that fast! My kids are convinced that the rabbit was just suicidal, but Moose (our dog) was pretty quick when he counter-surfed too, so I guess motivation was the key.

Dogs are hunters. Period. Dobies and pit bulls can be sweet or aggressive, depending on how they're bred and how they're trained. I've met real sweetie-pies and real nasties, but you can say the same thing about humans, can't you?

As for children, it's a good rule NEVER to leave an infant or small child alone with ANY dog. What we interpret as aggressive behavior by a dog may just be the dog's way of disciplining. When a puppy cries or misbehaves, a mama dog will pick it up by its neck and give it a shake as discipline, so when the dog hears a human baby acting up it will try the same maneuver to get it to quiet down and behave. Well, that doesn't work too well on human babies!

Our old basset, Dexter, who helped raise our children, was wonderfully gentle with them, but we never left him alone with the kids when they were little and we trained the children to speak "dog" so they knew how Dexter would interpret what they said and did. He was great about letting us know when their diapers were dirty!

Nina

• nonamegiven
    nonamegiven

I have an Akita. She has killed one cat (ours) many birds, squirrels, rabbits and she even got a HUGE racoon. That doesn't even talk about the dogs she has attacked.

Desclaimer: she is a GREAT dog. She is awsome with the kids and the dog attacks were all territory related. The cat she killed actually bit her on her paw in her sleep. It sank 4 of his teeth into my pooch's paw and she bit the cat once. Of course, that's all it took was one.

Guys, if your wife has a cat, I will rent you my dog for one evening for a reasonable fee ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit