Dog Owners: Is your pet a Killer?

by restrangled 29 Replies latest jw friends

• restrangled
    restrangled

One of my Dobermans today, dragged a tarp off a pile of wood we had covered. Sure enough there was a large pink nose sticking out of the pile. He went in and dragged out an oppossum which must have weighed fifteen pounds. He picked him up and shook that poor thing like thier was no tomorrow! I quickly came to the rescue of the poor thing but he was already dead and bagged him for the garbage. ....Like I said he was huge, probably 15 pounds.

Our other Doberman seemed to watch in amusement!

Thankfully, Opposums don't carry rabies...but I didn't know dogs were such killers. I have a cat and have seen her kill smaller animals. But this was new to me.

Anyone here familiar with this?

• Odrade
    Odrade

Neighbor's dog kills squirrels once in awhile, and she got a young raccoon a couple of years back. My dogs are weinies. (One of them is a weinie weiner. LOL!)

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Dogs are meat eaters and instincts to hunt and kill for survival, some may have it breeded out them to a certain extent, just like humans that have domesticated the dog, some are, and some ain't.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Dear Frankiespeaken:

I agree, but very well fed Dobermans?......Thank god they have left my cat alone!

r.

• Purza
    Purza

My dog is too slow and has no stealth to kill another animal. One time he picked up the scent of rabbit in the field by our house. The rabbit shot out of its hiding place and our dog was too busy trying to pick up the scent that he didn't see the rabbit run away. Duh!

He thinks that going after a cat by barking very loud will make it stop dead in its tracks.

I am sorry about the oppossum. I am not very good at dealing with dead animals (pets or not).

Purza

• free2beme
    free2beme

Sometimes we forget the natural behavior of our animals are still in there. As a side note, don't trust your dog alone with children, without keeping a close eye out.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I had a dobby, I love the breed, loyal, protective, bark her head off at anybody walking by until she knew they were welcome, needs gobs of attention, but always ready to attack those other furry creatures, seem to understand not to attack family pets.

I got her teeth sunk into me the first day we brought her home from arizona to cali, when walking her (5month old puppy at the time) when a nieghbor had 2 pitbulls, and another type of dog that came running out of thier yard to attack her, I tried to get in between her and the pits but got knocked down by the bigger dogs, she bit me in the face(just a push bit) to get me to let go of her leash and ran off into the city nite(12am) of downtown san jose with three dogs chasing her. We searched for a couple of hours, and decided to come back to where she was attacked and low and behold she had come back to the original spot, hiding under a car. She wouldn't move, frightened, perhaps afraid of any disciple I might give her for the bite, so we had to litterally drag her out from under the car. Very good dogs.

• searching4truth
    searching4truth

mine will kill rabbits, squirrels, deer, ground hogs, basically what ever it can catch

• morty
    morty
    My dogs are weinies. (One of them is a weinie weiner. LOL!)

Mine are as well!!

Nope, my weiner dog would not hurt a flee unless, you tried to get up onto my lap....

• BrentR
    BrentR

I had a shepard timber wolf hybrid that killed wild rabbits a couple times a week. He never touched our cats but seemed to enjoy bunny hunting occasionally. Since he was always well fed it was either just for sport or a way for him to feel like a tough guy. He also enjoyed pinning my poor beagles to the ground with his size fifeteen paws.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit